Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have owned my 2011 Challenger RT classic 6 speed for about 10 days. I have put almost 500 miles on the car and one issue is really bugging me. NOTE:This is NOT skip shift ( unless it somehow is defective and partially engaging). The shift into 2nd gear is not smooth, almost like a synchro issue. It does not do it every time, but about 1 out of 5 when shifting into 2nd gear I feel a resistance to go into gear, most times it requires a extra attempt like things are not lined up just right and then it goes in - I have had old cars in the past feel this way going into 1st. Occasionally, it pops out of second or grinds as I am releasing the clutch expecting it to be fully engaged in 2nd gear. I normally shift about 2000 RPMs, way to soon for skip shift to rear its ugly head. In fact I have never encountered skip shift, but I don't stay in 1st to 19-21 MPH - I'm either already in 2nd, or Im leaving it in 1st longer to have a bit more fun.

If the car is at a dead stop, and I push in the clutch and move through the gears, I can get it to have that clunky feeling moving into second about 1 out of 5. Most other times its smooth as silk like all the other gears.

I hate to bring a brand new car in for something like this, so I thought I would ask and see if I am the only one encountering this issue. Perhaps it gets better with more miles on it. Could it be a defective skip shift trying to make me go in 4th but not completely? Perhaps even a TSB? Anyone have this and replacing the shifter solved it ( wishful thinking)?

I didn't notice it on the test drive, and it doesn't seem to matter if the manual fluid is cold or warmed up.

·
Registered
675 Posts
I have owned my 2011 Challenger RT classic 6 speed for about 10 days. I have put almost 500 miles on the car and one issue is really bugging me. NOTE:This is NOT skip shift ( unless it somehow is defective and partially engaging). The shift into 2nd gear is not smooth, almost like a synchro issue. It does not do it every time, but about 1 out of 5 when shifting into 2nd gear I feel a resistance to go into gear, most times it requires a extra attempt like things are not lined up just right and then it goes in - I have had old cars in the past feel this way going into 1st. Occasionally, it pops out of second or grinds as I am releasing the clutch expecting it to be fully engaged in 2nd gear. I normally shift about 2000 RPMs, way to soon for skip shift to rear its ugly head. In fact I have never encountered skip shift, but I don't stay in 1st to 19-21 MPH - I'm either already in 2nd, or Im leaving it in 1st longer to have a bit more fun.

If the car is at a dead stop, and I push in the clutch and move through the gears, I can get it to have that clunky feeling moving into second about 1 out of 5. Most other times its smooth as silk like all the other gears.

I hate to bring a brand new car in for something like this, so I thought I would ask and see if I am the only one encountering this issue. Perhaps it gets better with more miles on it. Could it be a defective skip shift trying to make me go in 4th but not completely? Perhaps even a TSB?

I didn't notice it on the test drive, and it doesn't seem to matter if the manual fluid is cold or warmed up.
Many 6speed owners have noticed a notchy 1st to 2nd gear shift during cold starts, but goes away after the transmission is warmed up, but sounds like it doesn't matter if its cold or warmed up in your case. If your popping out of gear while driving... something is clearly wrong. I would take that in immediately to get looked at. It wouldn't be a defective skip shift b/c that is dealing with the cars computer and it locks the gear out completely even if you muscled it into 2nd with the 1-4 activated you would seriously do some damage to the synchros.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the update, its not that it kicks it after its engaged, its like, you think it is engaged only to let the clutch out and find that its not - either in neutral still or u hear a little grind ( most likely cause my hand is till on it ).
Its like I'm shifting to fast, but Im not LOL - I have 30 years driving a manual - its not me.

I called the dealership, the Service Advisor ( I know them all well there) claims he had the exact same problem on his personal 6 speed Challenger and said he got a Skip Shift Ellimintator and it solved the issue. I asked if it would void the waranty he said no. Ill give this a try before I lt them start messing with a brand new car.

·
Registered
304 Posts
the tremec 6060 is notorious for the 1st to 2nd grind when the fluid in the tranmission is cold. Note, I said the fluid, not the engine temp.

When I had my vette it would be a notchy shift, and sometimes grind a little until I had driven it about 7 miles

·
Premium Member
7,326 Posts
It does take quite some time for the transmission to fully break in. Mine has 25,000 miles on it and it's somewhat better, but it is still notchy going into second when it's cold outside.

I never had it where it wouldn't go all the way into gear though.

·
Premium Member
1,572 Posts
Personally I would stick a skip shift eliminator on it and call it a day. Or you can drop a canned tune in it with the addition of a CAI and that will eliminate the skip shift.
BTW, these transmissions must be warm in order to shift without much of that grinding feeling into mostly third for me. Second is really not an issue unless it's cold. The problem is you really can't warm up the trans unless you put a load on it, this will of course give you some miles of driving with the annoying grinding into second and third. To make matters worse for us drivers, the lubricant in these transmissions is very thin (if I'm not mistaken it's synthetic ATF) and this will also contribute to this sort of grinding feeling. You learn how to minimize this grinding as you keep driving your car and get used to when and how to shift it, I know I did.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Somewhere along the way, they started putting triple synchros for 1-2 in the Tremecs.

I'm sure they did it as an improvement, but for me I find it deadens the feel of when one has the thing in gear. So, if you have been shifting manuals for years with a different synchro setup I'm guessing there is some getting used to.

I double-clutch until I get the transmission warmed up, as others have mentioned the transmission can be a little rough until it is warmed up.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts