Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if anyone else has had this problem. My SE is using between one and two qt's. of oil between changes. It is getting worse. I was leaving for a 300 mile trip and when I started the enigne it began to knock as always but a little louder than usual. I checked the oil and it just covered on the tip of the stick. I have had the dealer doing the changes and I switched to synthetic. I wasn"t sure of the type they used so I dropped by the dealer. I didn't want to void the warrenty by using a diffrent brand and I wanted there to doucumentation with dodge on the consumption issue. I told the service mamger about the knock and the oil use. ( this is the dealer in my town, real bad company- Whitenell dodge). I bought the car 50 miles away but wasn't going to drive with low oil. He told me he couldn't hear the knock and that " Dodge dose not recognize the use of 1-2 qts. between changes as excessive. Dodge will only deal with the sittuation if, You have an oil change done at the dealer you will have the work done at. After that oil change you have to bring it back every 500 miles exactly so the service tech can check the oil and document the use un till the oil change interval is up. Then dodge will examine the information and decide weather the criteria has been met for them to fix the problem. He went on to tell me that Dodge will not intervien untill the vehicle consumes one quart of oil every 750 miles." I was gob smacked. I use synthetic so my engine will have changed its own oil and then some between changes before Dodge will live up to their end of the warranty!!! WTF? I have driven beaters that i tear down and overhaul if they get less than that bad. Has anyone else had this issue. Dose dodge really suggest we just suck it when they are in the wrong. Is this dealer full of ....? I can't belive that A company who is suposedly trying to win the publics trust will wiggle so hard to g et out of fixing a problem they created? I don't get it. I love the car but she is becomming the the prettiest girl at the dance, who can't dance but wants you to spend all you money and time with her. Between the low end knock and now the oil consumption, I feel I am being led down the garden path.

·
Registered
741 Posts
#1 you dont say how many miles between changes

i change mine twice since i bought it once at around 800 and then
again at 2200 since i dont many miles per year with it i use semi syn
and never used any oil in between the changes.

#2 do you always check whether they in fact changed the oil or not?

i have come across a couple of places here that were tagging the cars as changed
and not really doing it. you should always pull the dipstick to see if the oil is clean
after a service.

·
Premium Member
3,553 Posts
I don't know how often you change your oil but if it's 5K or so 1 quart I wouldn't think they would fix. A quart in 750 miles sounds bad. I would think it would foil out the plugs at that rate. I'ld email Dodge customer care and ask what the criteria is for excessive oil usage.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I change it at 5k. 1-2 quarts is not the end of the world, but come on this is a new car. I have about 8k on it and I just checked it this morning when I washed it. I have used 1/2 quart since I put some in 5 days and 350 miles ago. seems abit excessive to me.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
I go 5k between changes, i'm at 32k miles and I've never had much of a discrepancy in Oil between changes. I don't loose anywhere near 1-2 qts. Take it to the dealer.

·
Registered
741 Posts
I change it at 5k. 1-2 quarts is not the end of the world, but come on this is a new car. I have about 8k on it and I just checked it this morning when I washed it. I have used 1/2 quart since I put some in 5 days and 350 miles ago. seems abit excessive to me.
1/2 qt in 350 miles, definitely something wrong. since you know for sure its not leaking why not pull the plugs and see if you can isolate what cylinder is causing the problem.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Modern day cars such as the Challenger should not use any noticeable amount of oil. There must be a problem if you are "using" that much oil. Does it smoke at all?

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Could be a stuck/defective PCV or collapsed return hose from the PCV causing excessive crankcase pressure and oil consumption. Are valve cover gaskets showing oil wetness - or the oil pan gasket/air cleaner box????

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No smoke. Havent pulled plug yet. Dealer says it won't foul plugs even if tou use the suggested qt. every 750. miles. I think he smoked his lunch but he is the service manager. I have checked exhaust tip and no sute or grease. I will pull plugs soon.With no leaks on ground it has to be going into intake. I will take it to the dealer I bought it from. They seem to be alot more honest and willing to work on the issue.I'm used to either egr, pcv valve problems or valve guide-seal issues or broken or worn rings in this type of issue but this one has me stumped and from what the service maneger siad about it I didn't know if this was a special problem with the 3.5 only.

·
Premium Member
121 Posts
JRP, I also don't know what's causing it but my wife's car has the identical symptoms. Although it is a 2008 Chrysler 300, it has the same 3.5L engine. No oil on the ground, ever. No burning oil or black exhaust tips. Engine runs fine, but we do get the knock for about 2 seconds on start-up. It's using about 2 qts. in 1500 miles. No blue smoke. Sounds exactly like your problem. I'm baffled. Car only has 50k miles. If I learn anything soon, I'll be sure to post it. Good luck...to BOTH of us!

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks. I had a 96 300 with 3.5. good solid car no oil problems with it thats part of the reason I got the 3.5. Mabey we will find out the problem. I did have them install a CAI on mine at the first oil change but I can't see that that would give me this problem? Any other problems out there?

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
1000 mile or less for a quart! That is crazy, and even new a modern engine I can see say almost 1 quart down over 5k. I would keep a log, or you will be just treated as loon. If this ever goes to lemmon law a log will also protect you and have the manager sign each time you bring it in.

·
Registered
3,651 Posts
Thats not right. I got a feeling your always low on oil. Is the oil at the full line after dealer change? Check it a day after and every week? A quart low and this engine can knock pretty bad. And once you start knockin, you will progressively use more oil IMO. Especialy in cold weather. I dont care if it calls for 6 quarts, if a couple of days after change you have a knock and the sticks half a quart low, and theres no leak, put a half in. I got 40,000 miles on my 3.5. Six oil changes so far. Mobil 1 syn. Pep Boys did the first one with me under the car, no problem. Dealer did the second one, car came back with oil palm print on the hood, oil palm print on the dash and half a quart low on the stick a day later. Did the next four myself. These motors can have a short knock on very cold start ups, below freezing temps on occasion. But your car is not getting enough oil at change me thinkst, and or you got some lifter damage in her. Not all dealer service centers are bad, but the ones that are...well...they can suck my lemon.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My last Challenger was 1972 so I reckon I can post. (am I exactly that old? yikes)

Anyway I saw an‘06 Magnum SXT with 54000K aka 33500 miles on it at a dealer on the south island. So I thought, “It’s overpriced, but what the heck. Borla Cat Back and headers, K&N cold air intake, 20 inch wheels – it’ll be a sweet ride to haul mom out of the old folks home to her weekly poker game.”

Later that week, or a thousand miles later I discovered the 3.5 had used up/thrown off the better part of a litre of oil. Worse yet this was normal according what I’d found out about oil consumption for the 3.5 on the World Wide Web.

I’m not happy about the oil use, (to what purpose exactly would that be designed in and allowed to be spec’d for?) but I’ll know more tomorrow, or at least have the official small town Dodge service manager response to post.

·
Registered
7 Posts
So did anyone get to the bottom of the oil burning? This whole 1 quart every 1,000 miles is acceptable nonsense has left a bad taste in my mouth. I can't see ever buying a dodge/chrysler again. The 3.5L is a piece-o-****, there are oil burning threads all over the internet for this motor.

·
Registered
242 Posts
My Challenger has a 3.6, but I drove a Magnum with a 3.5 for years. What I found is that it used a lot of oil at sustained high speeds (>65 MPH or so) regularly. If I kept the speed below that oil consumption was very low. The car was like that the whole time I owned it so it never bothered me.

·
Registered
9,272 Posts
change my oil every 5K and don't burn anything near that much...sounds like it needs to be looked at

·
Registered
7 Posts
change my oil every 5K and don't burn anything near that much...sounds like it needs to be looked at
How many miles does it have on it? Most of them don't start burning a lot until over 40k miles. Mines now at 78,000 and it's still sucking down 1 quart every 2,000 miles.

The 3.5L eats oil like a fat kid eats cake! I guess I'm lucky that mine doesn't use a quart ever 750 miles.

going to change the plugs soon and can't wait to see how crappy they look. Stupid chrysler engineers covered up three of the plugs with the intake manifold!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Idiots!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts