Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
998 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So we know a CC is necessary for the Hemis, but how about the Pentastars? If so, recommendations? I'd like to stay under $100 for it.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Not required for the Hemis or the Helcat even. All these leave the factory with no catch can and except for a tiny handful of owners never have a catch can and there are no problems.

For my previous cars, never had a catch can on any engine and I have racked up big miles with no engine problems..

The tiny bit of stuff that flows through the crankcase ventilation system into the intake is not worth the trouble of trying to catch it.

A catch can is another several fittings/hoses/connections that can leak. It is something that one can't know how full the can might be and to let the can get too full of fluid (oil or water) could at some point allow the engine to ingest a slug of fluid that causes at least one cylinder to suffer from hydraulic lock up.

So regular and rather frequent emptying of the can is called for to err on the side of caution. How frequent? Possibly every gas stop.

For what? To catch at best a few ounces (except in very rare cases in which there is probably an engine problem) of oil? Gasoline has over 1/2 ounce of oil per gallon added to help control corrosion of any ferrous metals the gasoline comes in contact with. So if one say collects several ounces of oil over 5K miles the engine has burned (assuming 25mpg fuel mileage) 200 gallons of gasoline and over 100 ounces of oil, or over 3/4ths a gallon of oil.

·
Premium Member
4,672 Posts
You can get one of those inline air filters meant for pneumatic tools for $30 and plumb it into the PCV line to act as a CC just fine. Throw in the cost for body color paint and various NPT fittings, and you’ll come out less than $100 easily.

Here’s one I did for my Toxic Orange SE with the 3.6L:

·
Registered
2018 Scat Pack SHAKER in Plum Crazy
818 Posts
You can get one of those inline air filters meant for pneumatic tools for $30 and plumb it into the PCV line to act as a CC just fine. Throw in the cost for body color paint and various NPT fittings, and you’ll come out less than $100 easily.

Here’s one I did for my Toxic Orange SE with the 3.6L:
Check your PM.

·
Premium Member
4,672 Posts
Check your PM.
I got it fixed and updated the original post with the link, but now it looks like the thread’s preview option into the folder doesn’t work 😟

if it ain’t one thing, it’s another...

·
Registered
2018 Scat Pack SHAKER in Plum Crazy
818 Posts
I got it fixed and updated the original post with the link, but now it looks like the thread’s preview option into the folder doesn’t work 😟

if it ain’t one thing, it’s another...
Correct, it does state "anyone can VIEW" now. I'd hate for anyone to lose anything.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts