Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just reading the Mopar Action magazine tech story about the new 3.6 Pentastar V6 engine. They show the cam phasers and talk about how the force of valve springs when the valve is closing actuates them. This makes no sense. Valves are also opening at the same time, thus negating any closing forces!

How do these cam phasers work? What is the electrical connection on the front of the cam / valve covers for, in front of each cam? My guess was an electromagnet to be applied to actuate them.

How many degrees can these phasers phase the cams?

Technical details please! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
714 Posts
I was just reading the Mopar Action magazine tech story about the new 3.6 Pentastar V6 engine. They show the cam phasers and talk about how the force of valve springs when the valve is closing actuates them. This makes no sense. Valves are also opening at the same time, thus negating any closing forces!

How do these cam phasers work? What is the electrical connection on the front of the cam / valve covers for, in front of each cam? My guess was an electromagnet to be applied to actuate them.

How many degrees can these phasers phase the cams?

Technical details please! :thumbsup:
There are only three cylinders on a cam so there is definitely points where the torque exerted on the lobes by the valve springs will tend to speed up or slow down the motion of the camshaft. I don't know if you've ever turned a camshaft in say an ohc head by hand but you'll notice right away it is very "springy" and only wants to rest in a couple of different positions. Any electromagnet is probably just a solenoid to "lock" or unlock the cam but not actually to exert the torque required to advance or retard it since that is a significant amount of $$$ that you don't need to spend.

Usually these systems work on oil pressure though, with a valve that sends oil to one side or the other to advance or retard...

I don't know anything about the Pentastar system, but a typical phaser has a bandwidth of about 30 degrees, or 60 degrees measured from the crank (since crank turns twice per camshaft rev)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts