Dodge Challenger Forum banner

3.6 to 5.7 swap

13K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  wanabe 
#1 ·
now before you guys hit me upside the head with the famous line “it’s easier/cheaper to trade the car in” I already know but I want to do something that hasn’t been done and I don’t mind spending the money or time on it.. I want to do a 3.6 to a 5.7 swap.. now besides the engine, trans and wire harness from the 5.7 which is the same exact year as the 3.6 I have the whole brake set up with suspension as well but what else would I need to handle the power also My other question is will the block fit without modifying the frame ? By the way I’m a bit new to swapping so don’t bash me please lol thanks

#3 ·
Welcome to Challengertalk ;) Chllngrswpr did this, he may be able to advise

A Guy

#4 ·
Its going to be a lot of work and learning curve if you don't have as much structural damage that will at least play in your favor vs the one Chllngrswpr did. I think what would be nice for the V6 owners is if Chrysler would come up with a HP 6, I mean why not take a Hemi cut it to 6cyl as Chevy did when they did the 4.3 V6 off the taking a 350 and shorten the block by removing the 2 back cyl. Who wouldn't love a 3.6 Hemi for more HP off a proven design of the 5.7. The one benefit would be a weight reduction and being able to make a plug play upgrade , a flash update or a updated PCM .. It still wont be a V8 but so many SE / SXT's would be a more affordable and viable option.

As for the swap of the 3.6 to a 5.7 like many vehicles there is going to be a massive Suspension Upgrade, Struts Springs, Sway Bars, Tie Rods. The Cooling system for a v8 would have to demand upgrade especially if your going to build up that 5.7. The Running a whole new wiring harness is going to be massive for more sensors dont just cut and splice into existing because it can result in a Carbque with shorts. Drive Shaft Upgrade for the extra HP, Torque Converter, modified shift points, if you keep the Automatic. Each section is going to be a experience, etc.,

Final things to consider the Vin is for a V6 so when you say I want to sell this car can be issues in Insuring the Vehicle for a new owner. The Vin and Build Tag in some states will cause a red flag. Now if your going to say do this as a keeper and its a Track or Show vehicle that is cool. When an Accident happens hopefully not then what do you tell the Insurance Company when an adjuster comes out and sees this is not what the Crash Guide shows and how they may or may not decline to cover anything. I have seen this happen before because your Structurely changing the car for the swap at one point of another. When they say total the vehicle and they want to part the car it would not surprise me to see them crush it...

Not to discourage the project but several things in addition to the mod to consider for your sake and future sake. In my teen and early adult years me and friends took 4cyl mustangs and converted them to various v8's Vega's Monza, Buick Regal's , 6cyl Belvedere to a 383, 70 Dodge Demon Slant to a 440, etc., Tagging and Title Insurance on a few of them were a pain and you cant sell the car as a say a RT instead of a SXT which by the Vin it is still a SXT.

Sorry for the Book here. It's fun to do modding but can also in long run be more of a PITA then you bargin for on such a drastic upgrade.

#5 ·
what year is the car in question? definately can be done - body/undercarriage is the same, as is most of the suspension. I have contemplated the swap myself from time to time (I'm an old school hot rodder that has built several cars from the ground up) my plan would involve buying a running wreck at a salvage yard. I always end up talking myself out of it - my alternative is a sprintex blower or Prodigy twin turbo set up......but I have yet to do a damn thing - Last weekend, I went and test drove a 5.7 A8 T/A - while it was definately faster (and louder) than the pentastar, it was a bit disapointing - it was 11k more than my car (the T/A was 1 year newer and had 18k less miles) - I was most impressed with how much better the T/A handled.....My probem is, I bought my 3.6 new - and I really like the car - Its a "stripper" that I added an LSD rear to and lowered it down to STP specs.....the 3.6 is a damn good motor - all aluminum skirted block - DOHC - it is FAR more advanced than the hemi......I get the hemi wins on torque/displacement but just have REALISTIC expectations on any swap you embark on - do it to please yourself (be honest) NOT other people - someone once told me the definition of a hot rodder is "Someone who spends money they don't have on parts they don't need to impress people they don't know" Just some random thoughts you didn't ask for LOL.....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.