Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I had a question to see what people's thoughts were on this, I'm looking at getting getting a 2015 Challenger, I'm so sick of the Subaru BRZ I have and want something bigger, faster, and with a nicer ride, my instinct is to get the R/T with the 5.7, I had an 05 Magnum RT with the 5.7 prior to the BRZ and I was totally happy with the performance on that car, however with the options I want the R/T would put my payments higher than I would like, so I was thinking about possibly getting a loaded SXT instead, the SXT is a bit lighter than the Magnum, though it has a bit less hp vs the 340hp the 5.7 made back then and way less torque, but it will have a much better transmission.

Do people think they would be about comparable performance wise?

·
Registered
118 Posts
This'll probably be one of those, you have to drive it and decide for yourself. But if you're concerned you'll regret getting the SXT, you probably shouldn't. Last thing you want is to make payments to a car you don't like.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, I don't want to get stuck into making car payments on a car that I'm not happy with, that's where I am right now as I've gotten to the point that I dislike driving the BRZ so much that I only drive when I have to and avoid any extra driving.

But I also don't want to discount the 3.6L because while I know with the Magnum SXT I wasn't happy with the performance when I drove it that, the old 3.5L with the 5 speed would pale in comparison to the 3.6L with the 8 speed.

Yeah, I may just have to wait till a dealer in the area gets an SXT in so I can test drive it, and then order what I want, just not sure when they will start hitting dealers around here, so it extends the time I'm stuck with the BRZ for out longer.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Out of curiousity what is bugging you about the BRZ?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Out of curiousity what is bugging you about the BRZ?
It's slow, especially off the line, so it makes pulling out into traffic frustrating, the ride is very rough, their is no sound insulation at all so on the highway road noise is very loud, when it's raining it sounds like rain on a tin can roof, and it's too small, especially in the trunk department at all of 6.9 cubic ft of space.

Only 40 hp difference in both of those cars correct?
about, 35hp to be exact, and the Challenger SXT is close to 400 pounds lighter, though there is a 122ft-lbs of torque difference between the two.

·
Registered
100 Posts
OP,

I test drove two R/T's (Manual and Auto) and a year prior SRT Auto (2009 Pre-Owned) before my making my decision on a purchase. I'd suggest to take some time, walk a couple dealer lots and figure out what color you like most (very important, IMO) transmission and then model. That way if you know you want a manual car that will help narrow down the choices.

Never tell the dealer what your pain point is for monthly payments, use a payment calculator app with interest and sales tax if possible and that should give you a good idea of what you'll pay for particular terms. Finally, if you can put at least 5% down on the purchase that will allow you much more wiggle room with the top line price of the vehicle.

Best of luck, hope you find exactly what you want.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well I know I don't want a manual, regardless of what engine I get it will be the 8 speed, and color is black since there's no PCP for the 2015, I even know the options I want on whichever I get, it's just the 3.6L vs 5.7L vs monthly payment question. Between the trade in value and cash I'll definitely have more than 5% to put down, hopefully more like 15-20%. I'm also considering possibly leasing for the lower payments then buy it at the end of the lease, while I know it's more money overall streatching it out to lower the monthly payments is more favorable since I'm saving for a house, so the more my monthly payments the longer that will take, so just trying to find the best compromise point.

·
Registered
545 Posts
I would suggest go test drive a 2014 Charger with the 3.6L. The 8 Speed is available on that car. It will not be terribly different than what the Challenger with the 3.6L and 8 speed will be in the 2015
EDIT: Sorry i misread , you wrote the Charger - yup that would give you a very good idea

·
Registered
24 Posts
I feel you.

I'm looking into getting a Challenger to replace my FRS. I'm also debating on an SXT Plus vs SRT Plus. I've never owned an automatic sports car, so that makes me lean more towards an SRT MT.

The speed of the FRS is fine, but I'm tired of the small cheapish interior and all of the popping, tapping, tire noise, cheap speakers, and rough ride.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I would suggest go test drive a 2014 Charger with the 3.6L. The 8 Speed is available on that car. It will not be terribly different than what the Challenger with the 3.6L and 8 speed will be in the 2015
That's a really good idea, didn't think of that, I just need to find a dealer with a RWD SXT now, the ones near me that i've checked thus far either have no SXT's or only AWD ones.

I feel you.

I'm looking into getting a Challenger to replace my FRS. I'm also debating on an SXT Plus vs SRT Plus. I've never owned an automatic sports car, so that makes me lean more towards an SRT MT.

The speed of the FRS is fine, but I'm tired of the small cheapish interior and all of the popping, tapping, tire noise, cheap speakers, and rough ride.
Someone who knows my pain, i'm sure the 86 twins are great when you have lots of winding mounting roads, but as a daily drive, nope. Oh god, the tire noise, I swear i'm always thinking there's something wrong with the damn car with how awful the tire noise is sometimes. For how much reviewers praised the car it really does feel very cheap inside.

You might be able to make your budget by looking for a deal on a 2014 RT, when the 15's hit the dealer lots.
That thought had crossed my mind too, I found a dealer near me with a pretty nicely loaded R/T in the color I wanted for under $30k, but I really like the bells and whistles the 2015 is getting, especially the heating steering wheel because I hate driving with gloves on, but it's really cold up here in the winter and I have poor circulation to make it worse.

·
Registered
515 Posts
It really depends on how you drive. If you want to hot-rod around you'll miss the Hemi's torque. I don't think you'll miss 35 HP given the weight difference, but the low-end grunt is nice to have. Then again, I'm seeing 30 mpg on the highway in my SXT. Overall I don't regret my SXT purchase. It's fast enough to get me into trouble, just takes a couple more seconds to get there.

My guess is the 8-speed will close the gap between the SXT and your '05, but drive one first.

·
Registered
9,272 Posts
what's more important to you? occasional romp on the gas torque availability or loaded creature comforts? good luck with your choice

·
Registered
380 Posts
Or test drive a 300. Also on the 14's, there is a couple of dealers advertising that the 14 Challenger has a 6 speed auto. Don't know if it is true or not. Or how the performance compares from a 6 speed auto equipped Challenger to an 8 speed. But there is a guy with a 2012 5.7 Ram short bed 6 speed auto that says the truck gets 25 mpg on the road. Maybe something you might want to check into.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts