Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Super Moderator
14,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Drive posted an article about a 2014 Ram Promaster cargo van that logged an unbelievable 626,000 miles before encountering timing problems due to broken plastic timing chain guides and tensioners.

Upon tearing the 3.6L engine down, the oil pump was in excellent condition, the cylinder walls still showed the factory crosshatching and the rod bearings appeared to have some additional life left before wearing through the outermost layer of alloy.

The van never burned oil and it was changed every 8,000 miles using full synthetic Mobil 1 or Valvoline.

This really speaks to the reliability of the Pentastar engine, if properly maintained.

·
Registered
2018 Challenger R/T Plus - Billet Clearcoat
433 Posts
Hmm no water pump issues lol.

Reactions: MEKrunner

·
Super Moderator
15,768 Posts
The Drive posted an article about a 2014 Ram Promaster cargo van that logged an unbelievable 626,000 miles before encountering timing problems due to broken plastic timing chain guides and tensioners.

Upon tearing the 3.6L engine down, the oil pump was in excellent condition, the cylinder walls still showed the factory crosshatching and the rod bearings appeared to have some additional life left before wearing through the outermost layer of alloy.

The van never burned oil and it was changed every 8,000 miles using full synthetic Mobil 1 or Valvoline.

This really speaks to the reliability of the Pentastar engine, if properly maintained.

that drives a stake through heart of the "I'll change my oil every 3,000 - 4,000 miles" arguments that some cling to as if we're still using 1960s lubricants

Reactions: GSBrockman

·
Registered
2018 Challenger R/T Plus - Billet Clearcoat
433 Posts

·
Premium Member
2018 Dodge Challenger T/A Plus in Yellow Jacket w/5.7L and A8 automatic
1,323 Posts

My nephew was a shift supervisor (Security) in Richmond, KY at The Blue Grass Army Depot. They have a fleet of RAM 1500 pickups used as patrol vehicles (this location is a well known storage facility for some of the extremely old chemical munitions, of which an incinerator is currently under construction for disposal).

He‘s shared with me some odometer pictures depicting the unreal idle hours these trucks accrue @Nuke and seems as if the only problems they generally share is an occasional oil cooler issue.

The 3.6L PentaStar is fast in line to being considered as “venerable”.....just like the ol’ 225 Slant Six and 318’s.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
18,605 Posts
I thought Mobile 1 did not meet FCA oil requirement?
A 2014 with 626,000 miles was likely out of warranty at 6 months, lol

10,000,000 3.6L produced as of February 2019

A Guy

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
8,345 Posts
A 2014 with 626,000 miles was likely out of warranty at 6 months, lol

10,000,000 3.6L produced as of February 2019

A Guy
No what I meant was mobile 1 is not FCA approved but yet the engine still lasted that long. Just goes to show what the oil recommendation really means bubkus.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
18,605 Posts
Pretty sure mayonnaise will work...oh wait, that as a CPU TIM :)

A Guy

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
that drives a stake through heart of the "I'll change my oil every 3,000 - 4,000 miles" arguments that some cling to as if we're still using 1960s lubricants
Not necessarily.

Consider this: The vehicle accumulated 626,000 miles from 2014 to some recent time. Call it the present. This works out to approx. 6.5 years. That's 2373 days. That's an average 263 miles a day.

I have observed with my other cars that leaving town with fresh oil in the engine and driving 5K miles upon arriving back home and adhering to a 5K mile oil change interval, that in draining the oil it still had some amber color to it the stream was translucent. I could very easily believe under those driving conditions the oil would be ok for more than 5K miles. 10K miles maybe even 15K miles.

Now 5K miles in a week, well 8 days: Saturday to the following Saturday; is an average of 625 miles per day. This is more than double the 263 miles a day the van averaged.

Still 263 miles a day day after day for 6.5 years is pretty benign usage as usage goes.

At other times when changed the oil after just my normal driving the oil was quite dark and clearly based on how it looked while draining was clearly ready to be drained and replaced.

My point is with the right usage oil change intervals can be extended and with no bad consequences.

However, if one covers considerably fewer miles per day 6K mile or 5K mile or ever fewer miles is enough miles given the usage to justify/warrant an oil change.

·
Registered
301 Posts
I'm only on 235k on mine. Where'd I go wrong?

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
18,605 Posts
You need to drive more ;)

A Guy

Reactions: Iamstubb

·
Super Moderator
14,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
No what I meant was mobile 1 is not FCA approved but yet the engine still lasted that long. Just goes to show what the oil recommendation really means bubkus.
Mobil-1 was included in the MS-6395 certification (as well as MS-10725 for other Chrysler vehicles) and Mobil products used in factory fills. Mobil-1 was even printed on the oil filler caps for some of Chrysler’s automobiles, like my 2009 SRT. As early as February 2009, Chrysler started phasing out Mobil and started using Pennzoil for factory fills. One explanation for the change, is SOPUS (Shell Oil Products US), parent of Pennzoil, was brought in with the purchase of Chrysler by Fiat. The assumption is Fiat had an established and stronger relationship with SOPUS.

·
Super Moderator
15,768 Posts
I thought Mobile 1 did not meet FCA oil requirement?
the 3.6 and 5.7 - Mobil 1 meets MS-6395

Engine Oil Selection — 3.6L and 5.7L Engine For best performance and maximum protection under all types of operating conditions, the manufacturer only recommends engine oils that are API Certified and meet the requirements of FCA Material Standard MS-6395.

for the 6.4 and the 6.2:
Engine Oil Selection — 6.4L Engine For best performance and maximum protection under all types of operating conditions, the manufacturer only recommends full synthetic engine oils that meet the American Petroleum Institute (API) categories of SN. 7 MAINTAINING YOUR VEHICLE 539 The manufacturer recommends the use of a full synthetic SAE 0W-40 engine oil or equivalent meeting the requirements of FCA Material Standard MS-12633

in the past model years up through MY 2010 MS-6395 also was the standard for the SRT 6.1, but this was revised for MY 2011 forward

·
Super Moderator
15,768 Posts
Not necessarily.

Consider this: The vehicle accumulated 626,000 miles from 2014 to some recent time. Call it the present. This works out to approx. 6.5 years. That's 2373 days. That's an average 263 miles a day.

I have observed with my other cars that leaving town with fresh oil in the engine and driving 5K miles upon arriving back home and adhering to a 5K mile oil change interval, that in draining the oil it still had some amber color to it the stream was translucent. I could very easily believe under those driving conditions the oil would be ok for more than 5K miles. 10K miles maybe even 15K miles.

Now 5K miles in a week, well 8 days: Saturday to the following Saturday; is an average of 625 miles per day. This is more than double the 263 miles a day the van averaged.

Still 263 miles a day day after day for 6.5 years is pretty benign usage as usage goes.

At other times when changed the oil after just my normal driving the oil was quite dark and clearly based on how it looked while draining was clearly ready to be drained and replaced.

My point is with the right usage oil change intervals can be extended and with no bad consequences.

However, if one covers considerably fewer miles per day 6K mile or 5K mile or ever fewer miles is enough miles given the usage to justify/warrant an oil change.
that's where time intervals are used in lieu of mileage - typically 6 months to a year max or conditions (stop and go, high idling times (service vehicles), dusty conditions, high load towing) call for going by a severe service schedule which will have shorter service intervals (often by 1/2 of the regular intervals)

·
Registered
22 Posts
I f remember correctly, FCA and Mobil1 were not able to reach an agreement on the contract for supplier to FCA which is why they stopped recommending Mobil1 . The protection level of the lubricant was not the factor but rather cost that FCA wanted to pay.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
8,345 Posts
I f remember correctly, FCA and Mobil1 were not able to reach an agreement on the contract for supplier to FCA which is why they stopped recommending Mobil1 . The protection level of the lubricant was not the factor but rather cost that FCA wanted to pay.
Hal explained it in post #15

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
18,605 Posts

A Guy

Reactions: Iamstubb
1 - 19 of 19 Posts