Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I get closer to my warranty expiring, I am starting to consider getting a tune or a throttle power controller such as Pedal Commander. My vehicle is mostly stock except for the Flowmaster American Thunder catback and the Hellcat airbox headlight mod, and there aren't any plans for any other mods. My questions are:

1. Is a tune worth it since I'm mostly stock?
2. Should I get a tune? If so, which one - Diablo, Bully Dog, Jet...?
3. Should I get a throttle controller? If so, which one - PC, AFE, Sprint...?

Forgive me if I'm ignorant about the terms and uses - I never paid much attention because of warranty concerns. TIA

·
Registered
2019 AWD SXT +
578 Posts
A tune should net you some more power. Throttle booster like PC just removes throttle lag but no extra power. Some people do both.

If you want to go all out you can go with a Ripp supercharger for the most bang but it’s pricey.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: RockanRoll

·
Premium Member
The Pork Wagon (‘14 Cop Charger)
8,235 Posts
The DS handheld tuners will have a parameter called Throttle Boost that you can adjust which has the same effect as the throttle controllers like Pedal Commander and such.

If your car is 2015 or newer, you will have the extra expense of unlocking your PCM if you want to do either of the tuners. The throttle controllers are not subject to the same limitation as far as I know.

As for which tuner to go with, if you go with a tuner, I’d say that depends upon how much interest you have in really controlling every aspect of the car’s tune.

Do you want total control and have plenty of time to invest in learning how to tune an engine? HP tuner is the one you want.

Do you only care about a performance boost from the canned tunes (and have the ability to purchase the higher octane gas) and want to set it and forget it? One of the DiabloSport tuners is what you want.

Both have the ability to data log, which I think is every bit as important as the tune mods, but that’s also another skill you will need to invest time into learning how to do/interpret.

Reactions: RockanRoll

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
22,430 Posts
No issues with warranty and throttle controllers. A throttle controller will only affect that aspect of course. A tune will adjust performance parameters. You'd have to have your PCM unlocked, price of tuner, and run 91-93 octane after installing tune. You could see a 15-25 HP increase with their highest octane tune

Tuner choice is up to you. Diablosport canned tunes, depending on model can do custom tunes. HP Tuners offers more options, higher learning curve, but where most tuners are likely headed. Bully Dog doesn't do tunes for our 3.6L, Jet is an OBD-II plugin, I'd avoid that.

Sprint Booster was the first TC, it seems to have been taken over in popularity by the PC, which offers more settings, but the SB has settings the PC doesn't have. AFE just seems to be selling Sprint Booster?

Expect $800 and up for a tune, and need to run premium gas every time after. A throttle controller is plug and play, just try out settings, and find which you like best. Adds no power, but changes how the throttle reacts.

A Guy

·
Registered
131 Posts
Tuner choice is up to you. Diablosport canned tunes, depending on model can do custom tunes. HP Tuners offers more options, higher learning curve, but where most tuners are likely headed. Bully Dog doesn't do tunes for our 3.6L, Jet is an OBD-II plugin, I'd avoid that.
A Guy
Who tinted your tail lights, et al? HemiFever (Steve) does great custom tunes for the Diablosport.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
22,430 Posts
A Guy tinted my tail lights ;)

A Guy

·
Registered
131 Posts
I had a guy (Jon's tinted tails) who did my 2007 Corvette Z06 tails and brake light to a dark maroon with paint. Had to send them to him. Great job. Think I'll do that instead of vinyl.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
22,430 Posts
Most shops who tint mix some black with clear to get desired darkness. The taillights then look stock as far as same gloss, just tinted. It's a good look. A Guy

1 - 8 of 8 Posts