Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A couple months ago, I test drove a 2009 RT with a 6 speed that I assume had the 3.73 gears. (Might have been 3.92 - did not check at the time.)

I'm now looking at a couple of 2010 RTs, 6 speed with 3.92 gears. Since its the dead of winter here in MN, I probably won't be taking them for a test drive tomorrow, but just wondering how much 'torque-ier' the 3.92 will feel compared to the 3.73.

Noticeable ?

Dave

·
Premium Member
7,306 Posts
The R/T cars with 18" wheels get the 3.73 gears, and the R/T cars with 20" wheels get the 3.92 gears.

The profile of the 20" tires is smaller, but it is taller overall. The 3.92 gear compensates for this.

With that said, the overall gearing is slightly lower on the 3.92 cars and will have a very small edge in acceleration, but I doubt you could notice it.

·
Banned
557 Posts
I asked the same question when doing my research before buying. The short version is they are almost identical. 3.73 gears come with the 18" wheels and 3.92 gears come with 20" wheels. It is believed the weight difference (20" wheels weigh more) is the primary reason Dodge gives 3.92 gears, although there might a very, very minimal advantage.

So if you keep the stock wheels with whatever you get or stick close to the same weights it's more or less a wash. The kicker is if you get 3.73's and 18" wheels and then decide to swap on some 20" wheels.

Here's my old thread: http://www.challengertalk.com/forums/f5/3-73-vs-3-92-gears-49955/index2.html

1 - 3 of 3 Posts