Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I looked up my window sticker on my car and apparently I have 3.90 gears? I’ve never heard of that on an R/T before but that’s what the sticker says. My buddy is doubtful too and I was wondering if that sounds right to you guys

·
Registered
16,229 Posts
The 3.90 is listed under Standard Equipment and then it says (unless replaced by Optional Equipment), well that's it right there.

The 3.90 is the standard rear axle because the 6-speed manual is the standard transmission.

But your car has the optional automatic transmission so with that the rear axle ratio gets changed to a 3.07.

So it's just the confusing way they do the window sticker.

Run your build sheet here but you should have the 3.07. The 3.90 rear is reserved for cars with the 6-speed manual only.

COMPLETE VIN

ALL CAPS

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2016 Challenger R/T Plus Shaker
681 Posts
Slidd is correct, the window sticker makes it look like the ratio is 3.90/1. I own a 2016 R/T Plus Shaker that I bought new, ( identical drivetrain to your Challenger) and I know from having pulled the differential myself that it came with 3.07/ 1 gearing.

·
Super Moderator
17,261 Posts
I realized that your '16 is a Canadian market model - and there's things that are omitted under the equipment listings compared to the US market window sticker

The US market versions call out the 3.07 (open diff) axle ratio in the equipment listing either under the 28S (Shaker / A8) quick order package or under the Torqueflite 8 speed equipment listing

Reactions: b_trebell2018

·
Registered
22 Posts
The 3.90 is listed under Standard Equipment and then it says (unless replaced by Optional Equipment), well that's it right there.

The 3.90 is the standard rear axle because the 6-speed manual is the standard transmission.

But your car has the optional automatic transmission so with that the rear axle ratio gets changed to a 3.07.

So it's just the confusing way they do the window sticker.

Run your build sheet here but you should have the 3.07. The 3.90 rear is reserved for cars with the 6-speed manual only.

COMPLETE VIN

ALL CAPS

I have the m6 trans

·
Registered
16,229 Posts
My '12 R/T manual has a 3.89 rear; perhaps they've rounded up?
Should be a 3.91 but Dodge rounded it up to a 3.92.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That really sucks, I only got the auto because I got the car at cost from my dealership, pretty bummed out I got an open diff. Plus I know how expensive LSDs can get so I might have to start looking for a used setup:/ thanks for your expertise guys!

·
Registered
2016 Challenger R/T Plus Shaker
681 Posts
Yeah, I don't like having an open differential on any Challenger. I bought mine out of stock, didn't order it so had no choice. But, I am planning to swap it out for a limited slip soon. Just trying to decide if I want to go with 3.09 or 3.90 ratio. I don't race my Challenger, but I do like how a steep gear feels in my normal driving conditions.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts