Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have read several sites that state that 3.92 gears come with the blacktop package, including automatics, despite the auto usually receiving a 3.07 (I think? )
Can anyine confirm?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
3.06 ratio for Automatic Challenger R/T Blacktop only last I saw. I don't even think they are installing 3.92 ratio
in the 6 speed manuals anymore. I've heard when checked most of them are coming with 3.73 ratio.

·
Premium Member
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Blacktop package is both a performance and appearance package, it has the black chrome rims and fuel door, headlight surrounds, and is automatically paired with the Super Track Pak, which upgrades the steering, suspension, brakes, and tires. I have seen on multiple sites that a 3.92 gear ratio is part of the blacktop package regardless of transmission

·
Premium Member
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Perhaps the 3.92 is a new addition for 2014 models? Or perhaps these sites are full of garbage...but the rest of their package breakdowns are spot on. It would be a shame of this is the only one out of all their details that isn't correct.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Blacktop package is both a performance and appearance package, it has the black chrome rims and fuel door, headlight surrounds, and is automatically paired with the Super Track Pak, which upgrades the steering, suspension, brakes, and tires. I have seen on multiple sites that a 3.92 gear ratio is part of the blacktop package regardless of transmission

What sites have you seen this on? I just went through my window sticker and owners manual and nothing talks about different gearing. Just curious because I i own a blacktop as well. Thanks.

ImageUploadedByAG Free1390188058.498253.jpg

·
Premium Member
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Premium Member
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
By the way, how do you like your blacktop, specifically can you give me a breakdown of how it performs, in your opinion. I had a 2011 sxt+ when they first came out, then traded it in on a Ram, which is now getting turned in for the 14 Blacktop

·
Registered
9 Posts
I just purchased a 2014 Blacktop R/T with 6spd. It has the 3.92 gears. In 1st gear you hit the rev limiter quickly. LOL. I really like the look of the package and the performance. Only negative - Have to wash it a lot (ha ha).

Bigal

·
Registered
9,315 Posts
Look at your sticker, and if it's equipped with an A5, it'll say the gearing ratio with the A5 option.

Probably 3.06

·
Registered
61 Posts
http://www.lotpro.com/cars/new/dodge/challenger/options/?mobile=1

the blacktop package is right near the top and Includes 3.92 in the description. Its hard to know, because the blacktop also comes with an upgraded steering system and that is not listed on your sticker. (Its part of the STP that is automatically bundled with the blacktop)

My sticker doesn't talk about the gearing anywhere.. I have a m6. Did some reading and car and driver state it is in fact a 3.92; they claim 3.92 is a r/t plus or classic upgrade, it's not blacktop dependent. (Although you have to get a plus or classic r/t to get a blacktop package anyway....). Just thought I'd share!

·
Premium Member
1,857 Posts

Blacktop comes standard with 20 inch wheels and a manual trans. So, 3.92 comes standard. Once an automatic is optioned it comes with a 3.06.

·
Registered
61 Posts
By the way, how do you like your blacktop, specifically can you give me a breakdown of how it performs, in your opinion. I had a 2011 sxt+ when they first came out, then traded it in on a Ram, which is now getting turned in for the 14 Blacktop

I have a 13 blacktop with m6. Love it! Can't compare it to anything else though because it's the only challenger I have driven. My friend has an 09 r/t I should drive his one day and compare.
My only complaint thus far (had it 8 months) is I hate the auto shift function. If your between 17-23 miles per hour (approx) when shifting out of 1st it try's to force you to go directly to 4th. It's an annoying feature. (There is a mod you can do to change this but I have not done it yet). Love the car though and it turns heads because of the black on black, I also have the mopar exterior appearance package with the t/a hood so it just looks bad ass all around !

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
all you have to do is take your VIN# to a Mopar Parts Counter and ask them to run a list of equipment and it will tell your gear ratio. as parts man I know says that most that expect to have 3.92 ratio with 6 speed manuals are turning out to have 3.73 ratio. I can't imagine having a 3.92 ratio with an A5,

·
Registered
14,081 Posts
On the new window stickers the reference to the 3.92 is not there, but on older cars it was. The Classic was the same way, they showed the 3.92 as being part of the package only to be overridden when the automatic was ordered. The 2012 even included standard Anti-Spin which was also deleted if the car was an automatic (you could get it again but had to pay extra for it). The new stickers are much less confusing.

2012 and 2013 window stickers

Attachments

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
On the new window stickers the reference to the 3.92 is not there, but on older cars it was. The Classic was the same way, they showed the 3.92 as being part of the package only to be overridden when the automatic was ordered. The 2012 even included standard Anti-Spin which was also deleted if the car was an automatic (you could get it again but had to pay extra for it). The new stickers are much less confusing.

2012 and 2013 window stickers
yea, that's because they've been putting 3.73's in the 6 sp man a lot lately. (shortage of 3.92? mileage?) my 2013 sticker say's 3.92 for standard, just like the brochure for standard on "Classics" but after checking many folks are finding they actually had 3.73 ratio.
but nowhere has anybody said they got a 3.92 or 3.73 ratio with an auto 2012, 2013, or 2014 that I have seen (and can actually prove it by buildsheet). I thought I wanted the 3.92 in my auto but after getting my 3.06 Getrag Anti-Spin I realize that that would be way too low to be at all comfortable for my taste on the highway, lots of fun in town though. the 3.06 seems geared way lower because of the trans gearing and the final ratio feels more to me like a 3.55 or 3.73 instead of a 3.06 ratio. keep that in mind for those who like me thought 3.92 ratio would be a great idea in an auto.

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
The Blacktop package does come with the STP as part of the package. Standard equipment on all R/T Challengers is the 6 speed, therefore the higher numeric gears are standard equipment. Also from what I've seen with the M6 manuals, the 3.73 gears come with the 18-inch wheels, and 3.91-3.92 come when you order the 20-inch wheels.

http://www.chrysler.com/hostd/windowsticker/getWindowStickerPdf.do?vin=2C3CDYBT3EH185403

Once you order the A5 auto, the gears get updated to the 3.06 gears.
The only 3:91 gearing with the 5.7L AUTO was the Mopar Charger

Official Mopar '11 Charger R/T Parts, Accessories & Service
Joe is correct, only came on one car. The A5 autos have a 3.59 first gear ratio, it's perfectly matched to the 3.06 gear ratio. The M6 manuals have 2.97 first gear ratio which matches them with the 3.91 gear ratio, however they have a double overdrive to achieve highway fuel mileage. 3.91's on an auto would more than likely require a gas guzzler tax.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just purchased a 2014 Challeger R/T "blacktop" and the sheet on the window indicated the 3.0? (don't remember exact ratio) rearend. So in my case, it did not come with the 3.92 gears out of the box. For some reason, I thought it was either 3.6 or 3.3 ...

I have read several sites that state that 3.92 gears come with the blacktop package, including automatics, despite the auto usually receiving a 3.07 (I think? )
Can anyine confirm?

·
Registered
http://www.dragtimes
1,899 Posts
I just purchased a 2014 Challeger R/T "blacktop" and the sheet on the window indicated the 3.0? (don't remember exact ratio) rearend. So in my case, it did not come with the 3.92 gears out of the box. For some reason, I thought it was either 3.6 or 3.3 ...
20" tires = 3.06 A5 or 3.92 M6

18" tire can have 3.73 (M6) If I am understanding this correctly.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts