Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I’m looking to replace my tires on my 2015 scatpak. I don’t drive in the winter so snow isn’t an issue but I am from northern New England so I do drive in the cold. And the roads aren’t that great besides the interstate. I’m looking at 275/30/20 because I have stock wheels.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
23,539 Posts
Welcome to Challengertalk ;) I assume you meant 275/40R20? I know you said 3 season, but cold is an issue with UHP tires. You might look into Continental ExtremeContact DWS 06 . It is a 4 season tire, but has great performance and other specs. It does well in winter too, so temps unless arctic, shouldn't be an issue

Winter tires have a material makeup that makes them stay pliable below 40°, most 3 season and summer tires do not. Hopefully someone who drives in cold regularly will reply

A Guy

·
Super Moderator
14,915 Posts
Continental Extreme Contact DWS 06 tires are excellent but they are a little pricey.

Another great tire (also less expensive) is the Cooper Zeon RS3-G1. Check out the reviews using the link, below. I installed 275/40-20 tires on my SRT and really like them (see photos).

Whatever tire you choose, check out the prices at Discount Tires, one of our Supporting Vendors.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
Many of my friends (with Hellcats and Redeye's) swear by Aturo tires. Better grip than Pirelli and super cheap so you don't feel bad about abusing them :) I'm currently am on Conti. Extreme Contact Sports and love 'em but pricey. I may try the Aturo on the set myself.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Many of my friends (with Hellcats and Redeye's) swear by Aturo tires. Better grip than Pirelli and super cheap so you don't feel bad about abusing them :) I'm currently am on Conti. Extreme Contact Sports and love 'em but pricey. I may try the Aturo on the set myself.
Atturo’s are straight up garbage !!!! I have had very premature dry rotting , longitudinal and across the tread on multiple sets in these sizes. 315/35/20,275/40/20, and 255/55/18
You get what you pay for , if you want a good semi-budget tire, go with the toyo t1 sports , they are very comparable to the Michelin ps, and only cost about 200$ per tire. Compound is a 240 I believe , so they very soft compared to almost any other street tires, short of drags.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
Good info Ronan. Haven't heard anything regarding your comments on these. Friends have been on multiple sets and still buying them. Sounds like you've tried all the sizes you mention? Why so many if they're so bad?

·
Registered
583 Posts
I run two sets of wheels , one set is 20’s and had 275’s up front and 315’s out back. The other is 18’s and a run the 255 up front and drags out back. So between rotations of these sets is where I noticed how bad they actually were. Lots of people had said it was from burnouts and whatnot for the rear , but the 255’s and 275’s we’re both front tires with little abuse. I wouldn’t buy them again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So I don’t mind paying for a pricey tire if it’s worth the extra money. Also are all of these tires an upgrade over the stock Goodyear F1 supercars I have on right now

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The tires I’ve narrowed it down to
Continental dws 06
Michelin Pilot Sport as3 +
Pirelli p zero plus
Nitto motivos
Cooper Zeon RS3-G1

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
23,539 Posts
The tires I’ve narrowed it down to

Continental dws 06

Snow no problem, so cold not an issue. Video compares to Eagle F1 Asymmetric All-Season, Pilot Sport AS3, and P Zero All Season Plus

Michelin Pilot Sport as3 +

Cold Weather Mobility – Michelin’s Helio CompoundTM technology engineered into the MICHELIN Pilot Sport A/S 3 tire allows it to withstand colder temperatures, meaning consumers benefit from extra grip at low temperatures while extending their vehicles’ driving season. By also adding biting edges in the tread grooves, the tire gains traction in snow.
Pirelli p zero plus

Winter siping technology in the inboard blocks enhances tread pattern stability while increasing the number of biting edges to improve snow traction.

Beginning in 2016, Pirelli updated the compound of the P Zero All Season Plus in an effort to improve traction in the wet and snow.
Nitto motivos

Nitto utilized an innovative compound infused with silica and special binding agents. This enables the tire to perform better in extreme hot and cold weather conditions.

It’s good enough for light snow and cold-weather driving. The interlocking sipes on the treads ensure steady traction while the innovative compound improves the pliability of the rubber. However, the Nitto Motivo is not designed to handle deep snow or thicker ice.
Cooper Zeon RS3-G1

I think your 1st 3 choices are better based on your original quest for tires that can be used in the cold, but if that isn't as big a deal, they are all some good tires.

A Guy

·
Registered
585 Posts
I replaced the lame ass Goodyears around 8,000 miles on my 2015 SP

I've been using the Extreme Contact DWS 06 for the last 15,000 miles. I rotated the fronts to the back, and back to the front at 10,000. The tires are all 245s. They have great all year round grip, even in the cold.

So I checked my backs the other day, and there are getting close to the wear indicator. I figure I have 3,000 miles before I need new ones on the back..

I guess I'm using my Scat Pack for what it was meant for. I doesn't matter what tires you use, you'll be changing them every 20,000 miles if you drive the car like it was meant to be driven.

I'm starting to look at cost savings alternatives besides just the DWS 06s.

I've been reveiwing the Cooper, BF Goodrich and General tires.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts