Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
This May 13, 2014 will be 3 years I have owned my car.
I am planning on bringing it to the dodge dealer this week to have everything checked out on it.
Anything specific I should look for to see if it needs replacing while there?
Thanks,
Richard

·
Premium Member
2,172 Posts
Best too trade in the car
Get top dollar now or when the new 2015s come out.
Save on new tires and get a new warrenty and have a new car and
maybe cost you $7000 - $8000 for the next 3 years
That's what I always end up doing.(just write a check out at time of buying in full}.............JQ

·
Registered
361 Posts
If it's an R/T, the spark plugs need to be changed at 30K.

·
Super Moderator
16,623 Posts
Probably inspect to make sure there's no leaks (p/s rack, hoses, transmission and differential).

The other item is to check suspension bushings to see if everything looks okay there. Front tension strut bushings and control arm bushings would be wear items to look out for.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Why do spark plugs need to be changed at 30k? I thought most modern cars were good for 100k miles before something like that needed to be changed? Same goes for changing differential fluid before 100k miles. Rule of thumb from most mechanics I know some of which worked as Nascar crew chiefs. Say the risk of changing before then gives the risk of putting foreign objects into the mix causing the part to fail prematurely. Unless you have a reason to fix it the old adage if it ain't broke don't mess with it should apply outside of general oil changes and basic maintenance. A lot of the dealer subscribed maintenance are just money grabs common sense should weight in here.

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
Why do spark plugs need to be changed at 30k? I thought most modern cars were good for 100k miles before something like that needed to be changed? Same goes for changing differential fluid before 100k miles. Rule of thumb from most mechanics I know some of which worked as Nascar crew chiefs. Say the risk of changing before then gives the risk of putting foreign objects into the mix causing the part to fail prematurely. Unless you have a reason to fix it the old adage if it ain't broke don't mess with it should apply outside of general oil changes and basic maintenance. A lot of the dealer subscribed maintenance are just money grabs common sense should weight in here.
30K is the standard interval for changing the spark plugs on R/T's. SRT spark plugs are changed at longer intervals as far as I know.

·
Super Moderator
14,915 Posts
The RTs use copper-tipped plugs and they need to be replaced at 30,000 miles. The SRTs use platinum-tipped plugs. Supposedly, they are good for 100,000 miles. The longer life is nice to have since the Hemis take 16 plugs.

I would inspect your rocker panel covers and interior door trim for cracks before you take your car in.

Also, have the dealer check to make sure that your car had all of the work done that was required by any Technical Service Bulletins.

·
Registered
15,838 Posts
Same goes for changing differential fluid before 100k miles.
Maybe true for an Open differential but if you have Anti-Spin gear oil must be changed way before that.

·
Registered
314 Posts
On the sparkplugs, check your manual first.

My 2014 is 100,000 mile interval. I don't know when that changed on the hemi, my truck is 30,000 interval.

·
Registered
3,565 Posts
front ball joints ALWAYS GO BAD.. have them checked also
( IF they will replace them )

·
Registered
320 Posts
Yep Mricky is correct I just checked my manual on the 2014 100th RT and its 100k miles for the spark plugs. They must be using the same plugs as the SRT now though it doesn't mention the type.

On the sparkplugs, check your manual first.

My 2014 is 100,000 mile interval. I don't know when that changed on the hemi, my truck is 30,000 interval.

·
Registered
133 Posts
FWIW: it will be a cold day in the 7th circle of hell when I leave spark plugs in an engine for 100k. Sure, the plugs may still be good, but they will have likely welded themselves firmly into the heads (dissimilar metals) and that is a recipe for a big headache. I'll change them at 30k intervals on my dime with absolutely no complaints, tyvm

1 - 12 of 12 Posts