Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Here is a quick "how to". You can remove the dash by taking out only 12 bolts and two screws. I highly recommend two people for the lift out. The seats should be pulled (four easy bolts each) battery disconnected, and the console removed before proceeding (4 bolts and 2 screws). There are plenty of other threads with that part. The trim pieces along the sides, A pillers simply pry up, there are screws on the kick panels, one each, then you are ready to go. First the 10mm bolts...

Three bolts on each side, here, bottom bolt not in the picture. (leave the screws alone)

One more on either side of the radio tower, here...

And two more bolts on the driver's side, up by the windshield. The reflection in the windshield show's them pretty well, you'll probably need a swivel up by the socket to get these out.

Two small screws, one in the center, one toward the passenger side, up by the windshield. These guys. Hope your windshield looks better than mine.

Pop the carpet off under the steering column (two black push pins pry out)

Three bolts left, this one that holds the steering column together. Loosen your tilt/telescope lever first, and pull the wheel out if you need more room to slide this joint apart, mine fell right off. this is a 2012, '10 and old use a torx bolt at the end of the steering shaft, but comes apart here either way, like so. Mark the shaft before taking apart for alignment, and tape your wheel to the column trim to prevent rotation. If the wheel spins freely you will probably ruin your clockspring. $$$. If your bags are blown, screw it, spring is trash anyway.

Also, if you are 2011 or newer, there will probably be a brake release mounted to the dash, the back of the cable housing slides up, then you slide the cable out (like throttle cables used to be, you know, back in the day). Taking the panel off below the column will make this and the next step easier, but is not necessary.

Last of the bolts, two small ones that hold the hood release. 8mm, I think they were. Easy peasy. Leave the cable connected, just pull the bolts.

Unplug the yellow connector for the airbag module. That's on top of the trans tunnel, under the heater controls. You only have to unhook the right side. You can see the module in the last picture, with the dash out.
Then lift, pull back on each side of the dash. You have to lift up, the dash hooks into the door post area. So far so good...

Now just unplug the wires on both ends, and in the center. There were 9 plugs total on my car, there may be more or less depending on your model but they are easy to spot as you pull the dash back. Here are some of them. Most just have a button to push, then slide out, others have a lever that has to be tilted back first.
Right side...

Left side...

One like this on both side, and one or two more in the center of the dash (not pictured).

That should be it, have your buddy help lift the dash out of the car. If you try this yourself something will get bunged up, this sucker is very (very) heavy. remove carefully, checking for any missed wire connections. This is what it looks like out. Ta Da!

Now you can access your heater, wiring, passenger airbag or the airbag module (yes the dash and more has to come out for the module, dumb I know). Like I said, you don't have to pull the wheel, radio, gauges, or even the glove box. With two people this is doable in around half an hour, if the seats and console are out. The console has to come out, the seats are probably optional but since they only take a few minutes each why risk damaging them. This is what it will look like with the dash out.

Happy wrenching!

·
Premium Member
2012 Charger Pursuit
5,510 Posts
I am bookmarking this thread in case I ever need it in the future, but after looking at what it takes to get it all done, I really hope I never need to come find this bookmark!

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, hopefully this will help. I know the first dash I pulled took forever, took a lot of screws out that were not necessary, it's hard to know what's holding what and where. Should add that when you reinstall, do not power up the ignition until all airbag connectors are re-attached, including under the seats, or you'll get an airbag fault/code and may have to pay to have it cleared.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
anyone know how I can see the photos in the thread???? doing a dash swap today

You can thank Photobucket for that, I'm not paying their extortion fees. What year is your car? I'm working on a 15 now if you PM me your phone number I can text you a few pictures

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
15,582 Posts
Welcome to Challengertalk RedDevil. Also, if you click on "Quote" under the post (any post where Photobucket no longer allows hotlinking, and their placeholder message shows), the quoted text will show the actual picture url (address). Assuming the pictures are actually still there, you can copy the url and paste it in your browser and view the individual pictures. It's a pain, but it will work.

Clipboard01.jpg

A Guy

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
15,582 Posts
You can also install a plugin to your browser that will allow photobucket images to be properly displayed.
Very nice, hadn't heard of that. It worked a charm, thanks ;)

A Guy

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
15,582 Posts
Can anyone/everyone confirm the pics are displaying now without any browser addons? You can fix your pictures by adding ~original to the end of the image URL. A Guy

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello! Mine is a 15, would the process be the same? I read you are working on a 15, would you be able to send pictures? Thanks!

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hello! Mine is a 15, would the process be the same? I read you are working on a 15, would you be able to send pictures? Thanks!
Process is the same, except it is better to disconnect the steering linkage under the hood at the coupler, then just pull it thru the firewall as one piece with the dash in the newer cars. The large rubber firewall grommet simply pops out, towards the interior of the car. There may be some other minor things, but nothing big. I lost the pics with my phone, have one more to pull this fall to fix a heater but that won't be for a few weeks at least. Don't sweat it, take your time and take some pics of the wiring as you go for a guide, it's really not too tough to do.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
6,735 Posts
As a backup you could go to the chiltons site

Removal
REMOVAL

WARNING
Disable the supplemental restraint system before attempting any steering wheel, steering column, airbag, Occupant Classification System (OCS), seat belt tensioner, impact sensor, or instrument panel component diagnosis or service. Disconnect and isolate the battery negative (ground) cable, then wait two minutes for the system capacitor to discharge before performing further diagnosis or service. This is the only sure way to disable the Supplemental Restraint System (SRS). Failure to take the proper precautions could result in accidental airbag deployment and serious or fatal injury.

WARNING
Never strike or drop the Occupant Restraint Controller (ORC), as it can damage the impact sensor or affect its calibration. The occupant restraint controller contains the impact sensor, which enables the system to deploy the supplemental restraints. If an airbag control module is accidentally dropped during service, the module must be scrapped and replaced with a new unit. Failure to observe this warning could result in accidental, incomplete, or improper supplemental restraint deployment and serious or fatal injury.

CAUTION
On vehicles equipped with the Occupant Classification System (OCS), never replace both the Occupant Restraint Controller (ORC) and the Occupant Classification Module (OCM) at the same time. If both require replacement, replace one. Then perform the supplemental restraint verification test before replacing the other. Both the ORC and the OCM store OCS calibration data, which they transfer to one another when one of them is replaced. If both are replaced at the same time, an irreversible fault will be set in both modules.

STEERING COLUMN COVER

STEERING COLUMN COVER

1. Before proceeding with the following repair procedure, review all warnings and cautions.
  2. Disconnect and isolate the negative battery cable.

3. Raise and support the vehicle.
  4. Remove the pinch bolt (1) from the lower intermediate shaft (2) at the steering gear (3).
  5. Carefully separate the intermediate shaft (2) from the steering gear (3).
  6. Remove the intermediate shaft (2) from the vehicle.
  7. Lower the vehicle.
  8. Remove steering column as necessary. (Refer to Steering/Column - Removal).
  9. Remove the glove box. (Refer to Body/Instrument Panel/GLOVE BOX, Instrument Panel - Removal)
  10. Remove the left and right side instrument panel silencers. (Refer to Body/Instrument Panel/PANEL, Silencer - Removal).
  11. Remove the screws (2 and 6) that secure the steering column cover (1) to the instrument panel.
  12. Disconnect the electrical connector (3) from the trunk release switch.
  13. Disconnect the hood release cable (4) from the hood release handle (5) and remove the steering column cover from the vehicle.

14. Remove the screws (1) that secure the instrument panel steering column cover reinforcement (2) to the bracket and remove the reinforcement from the vehicle.
    WIRING CONNECTIONS LEFT SIDE I/P

WIRING CONNECTIONS LEFT SIDE I/P
  15. Disconnect the body wire harness connectors (1 and 3) from the instrument panel wire harness connectors.
  16. Disconnect the body wire harness connectors (2 and 4) from the transmission control module.
  17. Remove the center floor console. (Refer to Body/Interior/CONSOLE, Floor - Removal).
    CONNECTIONS RIGHT SIDE I/P

CONNECTIONS RIGHT SIDE I/P
  18. Disconnect the antenna coax (1) from the instrument panel coax extension.
  19. Disconnect the wire harness connectors (2, 4, 5 and 6) from the instrument panel wire harness connectors (3).
    I/PTO HEADLINER CONNECTORS

I/PTO HEADLINER CONNECTORS
  20. Remove the A-pillar trim panels. (Refer to Body/Interior/PANEL, A-Pillar Trim - Removal)
  21. Disconnect the wire harness connectors (1 and 2) located on the A-pillars.
    I/P ATTACHING SCREWS

I/P ATTACHING SCREWS
  22. Remove the end caps from the left and right side of the instrument panel to access the instrument panel side support bolts (1) and remove the bolts.
  23. Remove the defroster grille to access the instrument panel top retaining bolts (2) and remove the bolts. (Refer to Body/Instrument Panel/GRILLE, Defroster - Removal).
  24. Remove the bolts (3) that secure the bottom of the instrument panel.
    POSITION I/P INTO BODY

POSITION I/P INTO BODY
  25. Lift the instrument panel assembly (2) off of the supports (1 and 5). Guide the steering column end (4) through the opening in the dash panel (3) and remove the instrument panel through the passenger door.
    I/P SPRING NUTS TO COWL

I/P SPRING NUTS TO COWL
  26. If required, remove the spring nuts (1) from the dash panel.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
15,582 Posts
1 - 20 of 24 Posts