Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m looking at putting a stall in my 2017 sxt to get better torque and get off faster. I was wondering if anyone know of where to get one for the 2015-present sxt challengers? Or at least a better stall. I’m also looking at changing the gears to 3.73 but don’t know if there are any for the 2015-present challenger sxt. If anyone knows on where to go to get this done or where to find it online? It’s a newer transmission so idk if they have one yet just curious so I can plan. Thank you

·
Registered
115 Posts
3.9x gears from v8 cars with a standard transmission will (should) fit.
If I recall, all challengers user the same half shafts (15+)

·
Registered
2013 Challenger SXT
1,221 Posts
FTI does custom built converters, One of two who knows mopars well.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Okay I’ll take a look. So, technically I could grab any stall as long as it’s for the 2015 and up challenger correct?

·
Premium Member
2014 100th Annivesary R/T
517 Posts
I would look to get tuning done prior to tearing in and replacing parts. Factory tuning on both the engine and transmission tends to be on the soft side. HP Tuners now has the ability to the tune the TCM, a competent tuner can make these cars really snappy with out having to replace parts.

Just my 2 cents worth.
-Kenny

·
Registered
2013 Challenger SXT
1,221 Posts
For the money the converter is going to give more bang for the buck, tuning or no tuning, the 3.6 engine is a dog til about 4,000 rpm, no amount of tuning or supercharger takes care of that issue. A larger rpm stall will sure help to get off the line much easier. Plus a stall requires nothing to be changed in any of the programs, just swap the stall and done.

The v6 engines seem to have their own bolt pattern, a person could purchase a factory v6 stall converter and have it sent off to FTI or pull the one out of your car and send it off. There has not been enough v6 interest, so there are no v6 converters that are pre made- aftermarket, or even cores carried for custom stall speed- last I checked.

If I could go back in time I would have put more effort into swapping the factory converter out first, before all the other changes because I know the converter was worth .5 second drop in e.t. anyways, would have made reaching the 13's so much easier.

Even supercharged now, I still have the stock converter in the car, and it needs to be swapped out real bad, the stock converter is just killing the e.t. on the v6 cars.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I’m trying to get the most done first and then tune so that way when I tune I’ll get the most out of it. At least that’s my thought process on that. So, what is FTI if I bought a stock stall and sent it to them how does that work or does anyone have a link on where I can read up on this. I have never heard of this. Also I was thinking of 3000 is there a better rpm to set it at? Thanks for the comments.

·
Premium Member
2,874 Posts
Doesn't getting the STP give you that ability?

·
Registered
58 Posts
I’m not versed in tuner talk, but I’m intrigued by the idea of a “stall” for additional performance. What is it?

·
Registered
2013 Challenger SXT
1,221 Posts
I’m not versed in tuner talk, but I’m intrigued by the idea of a “stall” for additional performance. What is it?

A stall converter allows you to launch at a higher rpm to get you into your power band quicker, so your not waiting for your engine to climb thru the rpm's to reach your peak torque. The 3.6 has peak torque at or near 4400 rpms and your sitting at the starting line and your car launches about 2500 rpms, so you are waiting from about 2500 rpm to 4400 for your car to really start moving hard.

At least in my 2013 it came from the factory with a 2500 stall converter, the car really didn't start putting you back in the seat til about 4200 rpm's. So a 4,000 stall will allow you to launch at 4k and really pull hard sooner, so this reduces your time of "waiting" for your engine to rev up from about 2500 to 4200 rpm's

A 3000 stall will be useless in a v6 you need to be like 3600 or higher to really get going off the line, to me a 4k stall would be better,and since it's a lock up converter you can have it locked up in 2nd gear so there is no slippage.

So if one is going to get a converter make it at least a 3600 stall for a noticeable gain, to take advantage of your power band go higher like 4k or more to really reduce your waiting time.

A combination of more gear and more stall will really wake the 3.6 on launch, once you do this traction will really taxed and you will need to address the suspension to get it to hook.

So what you end up with is a car that would be damn near 1 seconds faster thru the 1/4 mile with more gear and stall and suspension work with not even touching the engine.

For a given trap speed (mph) there is a connected e.t., if you have a car that runs 102 mph but only runs 14.00 flat thru the 1/4 mile this tells you the car is not making use of the horsepower efficiently. The car isn't launching with everything that is available so traction, suspension, stall and gears needs to be addressed, once these are corrected the car will run say a 12.99 with proper gears, stall and suspension work.

So the stall is one piece of the puzzle to get addressed on the v6 to start making use of the power available.

·
Registered
58 Posts
ddeennis—you really know your stuff! Great explanation of a stall converter. Probably not for me right now, although the Pedal Commander has caught my attention. Thanks for a great reply. ??

·
Registered
2013 Challenger SXT
1,221 Posts
ddeennis—you really know your stuff! Great explanation of a stall converter. Probably not for me right now, although the Pedal Commander has caught my attention. Thanks for a great reply. ??

Honestly i wouldn't even bother with a gadget like that. all it does is speed up pedal movement, you can do that with your foot, that gadget makes the gas pedal twitchy. there is no hp gain or nothing of that nature, there is no improvement in 0-60 mph times.

I would just save the money and put it to a hand held tuner. the hand held tuner will have adjustments you can dial up throttle response just like that pedal commander. plus you can do some tuning to the car to gain a tad amount of power and you can get custom tunes to reduce torque management, put the money to something that really adds power.

pedal commander is just a gadget that doesn't do anything you can already do by moving your right foot faster.

My tuner had the pedal response cranked up really high and the car became jerky, barely touch the gas pedal and it would act like half throttle instant and you would let off barely and the car would nose dive and barely touch the gas and it would throw you back, hard to have a smooth throttle opening rate, so with my hand held tuner i adjusted it back to normal.

But I guess if you have money to burn that provides no hp increase and is only 1 product to do one thing have at it. I would just save the money for something really useful like a hand held tuner that gives you that and other options to play with and some can tunes that really do help in the power department.

·
Registered
58 Posts
ddeennis—To paraphrase the Most Interesting Man in the World, I’m going to ‘stay curious’ about performance upgrades and keep on reading and learning. Thanks for your very informative posts!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts