Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2007 Chrysler 300c srt8 with the 6.1 hemi has 160000 on it was running great out pulled into a friends driveway sounded like had a bad exhaust leak but definitely wasnt sounds like bad lifter. runs and ideals good starts right up and drives perfect but has a loud ticking fast pass not a slow tick. so I'm thinking ether bent valve or bad lifter everyone so far has told me to just take head off do valve job and get a new cam. So was looking for recommendations on rebuild kit I should us / cam or if I should just get new heads ect thank you for all responses

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
9,345 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Why don't you pull the valve covers before you start buying parts? Just inspecting the way the rockers move and the valve lash can tell you a lot. If you had a bent valve, cracked valve spring or valve seat that almost dropped the engine would run rough and a misfire DTC would pop up. Could be that one of the lifters is bad, either a roller stopped spinning freely and has started to wipe the cam, or more likely the lifter is not pressurizing. If it is a lifter you will have to remove the heads anyways. I just did a cam swap and it is a fair amount of work to be done. I don't know if a top end rebuild kit is made for the 6.1 although I am sure Cometic makes a gasket kit. Not sure I would invest too much money in building up the motor considering the mileage. If it is a bad lifter (not uncommon) I would just get a gasket kit, replace valve seals, get lifters, an OEM cam, chain, chain guides and be done with it. But first find the problem before you start throwing parts at it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you yes I am planning on taking valve cover off this weekend and expecting.
So if it is just lifter should I still do a valve Job since I already have to take the heads off I have had one person say I can do lifter from the top and other said I have to pull heads. I know I have to assess the issue before I buy parts just looking for info this is my first hemi just want to have a good idea when I do figure it out and know best possible option the car also has upgraded cam and transmission stale I'm not sure what brand for both I bought it already done and came with no receipts just going off what i was told but Its definitely not stock

1 - 4 of 4 Posts