Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry if this has been asked but I've been scouring the forums looking for an answer and cant seem to find it.

I bought new wheels, rear size is 10.5" x 20, 22mm offset, and 9.5x20, +12mm offset.

I have stock suspensions and I am unsure of the tire size. I found some tires that are 305 35 20 for the rear but worried about rubbing. Any suggestions?

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
28,198 Posts
Most are able to run 315s, perhaps some light rubbing on the wheel well liner that can be trimmed. Many do the 305/35 to avoid even that, you should be fine

A Guy

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Most are able to run 315s, perhaps some light rubbing on the wheel well liner that can be trimmed. Many do the 305/35 to avoid even that, you should be fine

A Guy
Sweet! But am I wasting my time with a stock RT and a wide rear wheel? Maybe I'll reap the most benefits with a 275 or 295? What I meant is that would a 305-315 be overkill for a 375 HP car?

I only have a mid muffler delete and a Hellcat lower airbox coming in, maybe headers and a cam later on but thats it.

·
Registered
2011 gwe srt
959 Posts
Id say maybe if speed is your goal. The added weight and rolling resistance is going to slow you down. MAYBE. But if you like the look go for it. the difference is going to be small either way. If you were talking another 100hp then it probably would be a no brainer.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Id say maybe if speed is your goal. The added weight and rolling resistance is going to slow you down. MAYBE. But if you like the look go for it. the difference is going to be small either way. If you were talking another 100hp then it probably would be a no brainer.
I like the balance between looks and getting as much speed as I can from a stock 5.7 Hemi

With this in mind, any suggestions on the tire size?

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
28,198 Posts
I'd put them on for looks alone, but if you're doing it for more traction, wider is generally better, but choice of tire will especially be important. More grip usually means shorter tread life. The cost of 305s/315s is not so huge a difference

A Guy

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
I would not do 305's. They will be shorter than your front tires. That drives me crazy. I did a 295/40/20 rear which is .5" taller than my 275/40/20 fronts. It gives a muscle car look.
I have the Conti DWS06 which is all season.
You will probably get some rub with 315s with a +22 offset. Mine rubbed a bit with a +20 offset years ago. It depends who makes the tire, some run bigger and some run smaller. Its like wearing pants..they all fit different in the same size.

·
Registered
2018 Challenger R/T Plus - Billet Clearcoat
861 Posts
I would not do 305's. They will be shorter than your front tires. That drives me crazy. I did a 295/40/20 rear which is .5" taller than my 275/40/20 fronts. It gives a muscle car look.
I have the Conti DWS06 which is all season.
You will probably get some rub with 315s with a +22 offset. Mine rubbed a bit with a +20 offset years ago. It depends who makes the tire, some run bigger and some run smaller. Its like wearing pants..they all fit different in the same size.
Which brand runs bigger and smaller? I have read that Nitto runs a bit smaller (width wise) but ive never heard about others. Id imagine the differences are pretty small.

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Which brand runs bigger and smaller? I have read that Nitto runs a bit smaller (width wise) but ive never heard about others. Id imagine the differences are pretty small.
It really depends on the model of tire from the manufactures. My experience over 30 years is that BFGoodrich and Goodyear run the widest. Again, this all depends on the tire model and purpose (sport, street, racing, etc.)
I measured my 295/50/15s BFGoodrichs on my 71 charger 20years ago. It actually measured around 310mm.
This is an old pic as as an example from another site. Both are 315s. Sumitomo vs Goodyears. Big difference.

Tire Automotive tire Synthetic rubber Rim Automotive wheel system

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
28,198 Posts
Yes, people have done 245s/255s up front and 305s/315s in the back. 275's front 305s/315s back more commonly

A Guy

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
28,198 Posts
245/45 and 315/35 are the same height

A Guy

Reactions: Frank Julian

·
Registered
61 Posts
I did 275/40 front and 295/35 rear. Stock R/T suspension. The 295,s on 20x10.5 wheels rear rub a tiny bit on the liner on the front side of the rear. I just put them on last weekend, going to take the rears off and try and reposition the liner some this weekend. I’ve seen a lot of people with 305s on the rear, not sure if they all have had to do something with the liner.

·
Registered
348 Posts
I went with 315’s and 275’s and a 3mm spacer made by a friend of mine whose an tool maker.
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Muscle car Tire
Land vehicle Vehicle Tire Automotive tire Alloy wheel
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Tire Motor vehicle
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Tire Muscle car

Reactions: Cronopoly

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I did 275/40 front and 295/35 rear. Stock R/T suspension. The 295,s on 20x10.5 wheels rear rub a tiny bit on the liner on the front side of the rear. I just put them on last weekend, going to take the rears off and try and reposition the liner some this weekend. I’ve seen a lot of people with 305s on the rear, not sure if they all have had to do something with the liner.

View attachment 1006861 View attachment 1006863
nice car! I'm about to get mine wrapped on Monday, I was wondering how the reverse would look. Red top and black body.
Anyways, could be an offset issue? Those are the hellcat replicas. Which I am tracking has a negative offset.

·
Registered
2015 RT Shaker (STP/A8/FORGED/NAPPA/NO SUNROOF)
712 Posts
I have stock suspensions and I am unsure of the tire size. I found some tires that are 305 35 20 for the rear but worried about rubbing.
Nothing to worry about that will be fine on a 10.5.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts