Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I had been looking at purchasing some 17 inch wheels with 305s on them and I have a stock challenger RT as of right now, would those wheels cause issues with my differential since my car is bone stock so far?

·
Premium Member
The Bacon Hauler (‘12 Cop Charger)
11,165 Posts
The rear diff won’t be harmed by running drag slicks on 17” wheels.

You will want the rear-diff to be LSD to take advantage of the increased traction, but damage should not be a concern with this setup

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The rear diff won’t be harmed by running drag slicks on 17” wheels.

You will want the rear-diff to be LSD to take advantage of the increased traction, but damage should not be a concern with this setup
But with the factory diff which I believe is open on the newer RTs correct me if I’m wrong, would I encounter any issues?

·
Super Moderator
16,784 Posts
Depending on the profile ratio of your 305 tires, you will need anything from a 9.5" to an 11" wide wheel. Make sure you get the proper offset to avoid clearance problems with your rear fenders.

·
Registered
3,482 Posts
But with the factory diff which I believe is open on the newer RTs correct me if I’m wrong, would I encounter any issues?
All newer R/T diffs are not open. All manual diffs are LSD and a few years back Dodge made LSD available again for the the autos too.

·
Premium Member
The Bacon Hauler (‘12 Cop Charger)
11,165 Posts
Open diffs spin wheels just like LSD diffs do, neither cares about the actual size of the wheel…unless the two wheels being spun are different sizes. An open diff can handle that, and LSD won’t like it.

But that isnt a scenario anyone should encounter, so it’s a moot edge case anyway.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Open diffs spin wheels just like LSD diffs do, neither cares about the actual size of the wheel…unless the two wheels being spun are different sizes. An open diff can handle that, and LSD won’t like it.

But that isnt a scenario anyone should encounter, so it’s a moot edge case anyway.
Thanks for the help I was looking at some wheels that were 17x9.5 I believe and I wanted to make sure everything would go well before I pulled the trigger

1 - 7 of 7 Posts