Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, I recently purchased a pair of LED Switchback bulbs along with the resistors. I installed everything correctly but when the lights are on automatic "A", the opposite light to the one that is blinking amber, blinks white and they alternate.

Here are two videos:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=662875790407083&set=o.232421270166979&type=2&theater

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=662883610406301&set=o.232421270166979&type=2&theater

I don't know if you guys can see the video... I sure hope so!

The load resistors are 50W 6ohms. Pics attached.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Attachments

·
Registered
675 Posts
Your videos are "unavailable". Check this thread "Challenger LED Taillight and Resistor Installation", poster may be able to help you.
:deal:

·
Registered
779 Posts
Alright, can we make the videos public somehow? maybe use photobucket or youtube?

Couple of questions:
1) Front or rear installation?
2) What is the part number and source of the bulb
3) Where did you wire the resistors across, how many bulbs, how many resistors?

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Alright, can we make the videos public somehow? maybe use photobucket or youtube?

Couple of questions:
1) Front or rear installation?
2) What is the part number and source of the bulb
3) Where did you wire the resistors across, how many bulbs, how many resistors?
1. Front inner headlights
2. 2X Amber White Dual Color 3157 3457 3057 Switchback 60LED Turn Signal Resistors | eBay
3. Two resistors total. One resistor tied into left light, one resistor tied into right light. I used the black wire and the white wire with the green stripe for both sides.

Apparently the challenger group I'm in on Facebook is private and the videos are on my work PC. I will post videos tomorrow.

From the seller:

Thanks for coming back to us.
would you kindly please check if the resistors are wired up correctly.
Please don't worry and we'll help you to make it work step by step.

First, please look at this picture showing the correct wiring of the resistor:
http://images.gaatu.com//i/common/3157+resistor.jpg
As you can see it MUST be spliced across the - ground wire and the + WHITE wire feeding each bulb.

Second, check if the resistor is installed correctly by:
1. Make sure all the lights are turned off at the begining.
2. Turn on the DRL/Parking light, it should give out white light continuously. Resistor will get hot after approx. 3 minutes. (Installed correctly!)
3. If the resistor doesn't get hot after some time, it's probably wired up to the wrong + wire. Just reconnect to the other + wire and try step 2 again.
4. After you accomplish step 2, please try the Parking / Turn signal fuctions as usual.

If the lights still work incorrectly after you try, we're willing to offer you full refund after you return the item. We'll look into the problem with the manufacturer then.

Please don't worry and let us know if they work then.
Thank you for your effort.

Best regards,
canlina

·
Registered
779 Posts
The videos worked.....This almost looks like the CAN bus issue I ran into with the first set of bulbs I bought. If these bulbs are touted as "CAN bus compatible" and include an internal load resistor (not the external that you mounted) they are really meant for the advanced CAN bus cars (i.e. Mercedes / BMW) and are actually indexed, we don't have the advanced bus.

Did you try turning them around in the socket? I had to return mine to superbrightleds and get the normal non-CAN bus bulbs.

Might want to check with 00DakotaR/T, he did the same type of bulb in his front lights. See what bulbs he has.

·
Registered
504 Posts
I did the same setup the problem is you require two resistors per bulbs. 1 for the white light and a second for when you activate your turn signal otherwise you will have issues. So for two bulbs you need a total of 4 resistors.

Good luck

Todd

Reactions: Sinister SRT

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
I did the same setup the problem is you require two resistors per bulbs. 1 for the white light and a second for when you activate your turn signal otherwise you will have issues. So for two bulbs you need a total of 4 resistors.

Good luck

Todd
So basically you are saying that each light should have a resistor connected to each of the white wires and then both resistors grounded to the black?

I will try that.

I called VLED for some help and they suggested I use 3 ohm resistors not 6 ohm.

·
Registered
3,284 Posts
hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

·
Registered
37 Posts
Try using a 10 ohm resister. I found the 6 ohm to fail after about 15 seconds of operation. The 6 ohm resister get to hot. I found the 10 ohm resister to fix all my issues. I only used 1 resister per side.

·
Registered
3,284 Posts
Just thinking I may do this mod ....

·
Registered
44 Posts
The resistors are to "fool" the car into thinking that the turn signal bulb hasn't burned out, since the LEDs draw much less current. The resistors need to be across the turn signal connection and ground. If I recall when I installed mine, the turn signal + wires were different colors on the left and right side, where as the parking light wires are the same color on both sides. Since you said you connected the resistors to the same color wires, I'm thinking that you are connected to the parking filament and not the turn signal filament.

My first install had a problem, and the bulbs worked initially when I plugged them in, but not after they warmed up and I ended up sending them back. I then bought a set from VLED and they've been working great. I used 6 ohm, 50 watt resistors, one on each side, connected to the turn signal filament

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The resistors are to "fool" the car into thinking that the turn signal bulb hasn't burned out, since the LEDs draw much less current. The resistors need to be across the turn signal connection and ground. If I recall when I installed mine, the turn signal + wires were different colors on the left and right side, where as the parking light wires are the same color on both sides. Since you said you connected the resistors to the same color wires, I'm thinking that you are connected to the parking filament and not the turn signal filament.

My first install had a problem, and the bulbs worked initially when I plugged them in, but not after they warmed up and I ended up sending them back. I then bought a set from VLED and they've been working great. I used 6 ohm, 50 watt resistors, one on each side, connected to the turn signal filament

Thanks for the info Mark!

Can you provide a pic of the wires you tied into?
Also the VLED part number you purchased!

Thanks!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Thanks for the info Mark!

Can you provide a pic of the wires you tied into?
Also the VLED part number you purchased!

Thanks!
Sorry, I don't have any pictures. I just know that I tied into the turn signal so that they won't hyperflash. Also, my bulbs only have one mode of operation (white for the parking light, amber for the turn signals). Here is the VLED information:

5K TYPE 2 DUAL COLOR CHANGING WHITE AMBER SWITCHBACK 42 HIGH POWER LED TURN SIGNAL BULBS 3157 4157| 1 PAIR 3157_42_WA2_5K

They were on the expensive side as compared to what I bought the first time around, but they've been flawless since I installed them.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts