Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I did a road trip from south FL to PA with a bunch of running around in PA. Overall it was about 4k miles. Car is a 14 RT plus blacktop and had about only 1500 miles on it when I left. Overall wow!!!! So glad we didn't take my girls car even though I had to drive the entire time because she can't drive a M6. Made 2 15hr segments on the trip and the butt never got sore. Near the end of each of those 15hr parts my upper back/neck got a little sore but that was due to my seating position. It wasn't until the end of the trip that I figured out the perfect lumbar position to get my back fully against the seat. Probably never would of even gotten sore if I figured that out in the beginning.

Averaged a little over 24 mpg according to the EVIC. I think I got better mpg coming home because now my VVT is a full go. I'll know more when I do the math since I kept good records.

My stock exhaust has me very pleased now!!! I'm assuming its due to the carbon build up and not the VVT but there is a significant difference in tone that I really noticed near the end. Much deeper! Heck my girlfriend even noticed it.

I will say this though. I can definitely see why some ppl don't like the STP suspension. The roads in PA were outright terrible and boy could you tell even more so with that suspension. I can honestly say that if I lived in PA still I don't think I could deal with that suspension day in and day out. With that said though, the rest of the ride was fantastic and where I live I'm glad I still have the STP.

Saw a few challengers in the road and got TONS of compliments in the car when stopped. Had an older lady in VA ask me the year and she went on to talk about a charger she use to have. Also and older gentlemen and PA ask the year. I was a little shocked since they've been out for so long but both these areas were in the middle of no where so I don't like they've seen many challengers lately. Little kids really seemed to love it too!!!

Did the sky line dive in the shenandoah valley and highly recommend it to anyone in the area. It's a slow 35-40mph ride but the very cool with AMAZING views.

Got to really open it up and have some fun back in my old stomping grounds of PA. Car handled great!!!!

My only complaint is that I gotta do something about the high beam situation. In areas with no lights they were definitely not adequate for me. Part of that is due to my own night vision but definitely an upgrade I need to work on.

On a side note I used a colgan bra which worked great and also tapped up my rear fenders behind the tires with painters tape for the long portions if the drive. The tape looked stupid but it definitely saved me some serious wear and tear damage.

One last thing. After about 1600 miles I emptied my catch can and had about 3/4 of an inch. Seemed like a lot to me. I'm gonna check it today and see what I got since it's about 1800 miles after that.

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
These Challengers are great road trip cars! Glad to know that you had a blast :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
10,418 Posts
Nice to hear of your journey, no splash guards on the car?
Three quarters of an inch of oil for those miles is just right.

·
Registered
413 Posts
My only complaint is that I gotta do something about the high beam situation. In areas with no lights they were definitely not adequate for me. Part of that is due to my own night vision but definitely an upgrade I need to work on.

I'll agree with this, the lights on my '12 are bad too, for HIDs I'm not impressed........

·
Premium Member
2009 Challenger R/T
8,919 Posts
the brights on the HID are 4300k I changed out to the 10k don't need to even use the brights also I would suggest changing out the running lights to match your headlights it makes a tremendous difference on the dark roads.

Thanks for sharing these cars are meant to ride and 15 hours is a easy days ride in the Challenger :5:

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nice to hear of your journey, no splash guards on the car?
Three quarters of an inch of oil for those miles is just right.
No splash guards on mine. Been looking at them but couldn't pull the trigger. I really like the look without. I may end up with some clear 3M back there though. Thanks for the info on oil. Never had one before and was shocked when I saw that much. Kinda had me a little worried at first. It's amazing how much would be going back into the intake. I can really see now why they don't put them on from the factory. There is no way the common person would remember or care to check that regularly

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'll agree with this, the lights on my '12 are bad too, for HIDs I'm not impressed........
Hahaha I don't even have the HID so you can imagine how bad the stock ones are. Only thing that help me were the fog lights but they go off when high beams are on. There were several times that I drove holding the lever back so the fogs stayed on with the highs. I've only had the car about 3 1/2 months and never noticed the lack of brightness before. Where I live we have so many street lights that it was never an issue. My only back road driving before this trip was day time. Heck even the highways where I'm at has street lights. However, I'm definitely doing something about the lights

1 - 7 of 7 Posts