Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ever since the muscles cars were reborn I can't help but wonder why the Big three haven't considered a turbo diesel version. Not only would it makes sense for the Euro market, but some of you guys would be interested right?

For example, the current BMW 530d has 369 lbft of torque and gets 46mpg on the highway in a 4000 lb car.

Obviously you lose the hemi sound but for equal torque and far superior mileage surely someone would be interested. Maybe SE owners?

What do you guys think, would you be interested in a diesel Challenger if it had those kinds of numbers?

·
Premium Member
3,004 Posts
I would not be interested.
A muscle car does not have a diesel engine.
My tractor has a diesel engine.

·
Premium Member
2,786 Posts
I would not be interested.
A muscle car does not have a diesel engine.
My tractor has a diesel engine.
I have to agree. Love the Cummins turbo in my 2500 but I want a roaring V8 in my Challenger.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Have you guys driven a modern TDI engine? (cummins engines in trucks don't count because they don't go over 120mph on the freeway.)

I used to mock them too, until I drove some.

·
Premium Member
2,786 Posts
I don't mean to mock diesels, just not the right formula for North American Muscle, imho.
My chiropractor has a VW TDI he's getting tuned but it's a different ballgame then mopar.

I love these commercials!

·
Registered
402 Posts
Your delving into territory that is very opinionated. People who like the car for the looks, but want good gas mileage, would probably like this idea. Meanwhile, there are many owners who bought it for the complete muscle car feel (basically big burly V8 under the hood, and get out of my way looks). I like modern diesels, one of the my friends owns a VW Jetta TDI and it is a very nice car. I would probably buy a diesel in a daily driver that is luxurious, and keep my V8 in my challenger.

However, I completely agree that they should offer more engine options for people. People who like the looks of the car, but want gas mileage and decent acceleration, a TDI engine is a good choice. Nice amount of torque and very good gas mileage.

BTW, you have to be careful about using European MPG rating. 1 imperial gallon is equal to ~1.2 U.S. gallons.

·
Registered
864 Posts
Turbo'd deisels are flippin legit though. There was one in a PHR magazine a while back, it was a 70 chevelle with a twin turbo'd deisel, that made over 1000hp and almost 2000 lbs-ft torque, and put down 30mpg!

·
Registered
442 Posts
There was a discussion like this regarding gasoline turbo V6s vs. the V8 hemi. I read the link Daddy Kool posted. The HP is 218, but the torque is nearly 400. As calculated by US gallons you would have 36mpg, which is nice.

Unfortunately there is a very limited market here for diesels outside of larger vehicles and pickups. I don't know if you could tune a diesel to sound pleasing. The hemi is the heart of the Dodge line. I wonder if a diesel hemi is possible, I think that design is probably not compatible with the higher compression needed, but I'd leave that speculation to those more in the know than I.

·
Registered
7,683 Posts
I would think cost for such a powerplant would be a big obstacle. If it ends up making an SE cost as much as an RT, then that reduces one more reason to look at an SE as the cost-friendly option (unless you plan to make it up in sheer fuel costs, which will always be a hard sell, I'd expect).

·
Registered
159 Posts
I dont care what kind of engine my daily driver car has, wether gasoline, deisel, electric, or flux capacitor. All I want is power, and if possible, economy.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Diesel fuel in the US costs more then gasoline, so whatever MPG improvement over gasoline it has, needs to take this into account. Traditionally, Americans don't like diesels - and the EPA regulations on them are severe, on the Mercedes engines you have to carry/add a urea fluid to meet emissions.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Ever since the muscles cars were reborn I can't help but wonder why the Big three haven't considered a turbo diesel version. Not only would it makes sense for the Euro market, but some of you guys would be interested right?

For example, the current BMW 530d has 369 lbft of torque and gets 46mpg on the highway in a 4000 lb car.

Obviously you lose the hemi sound but for equal torque and far superior mileage surely someone would be interested. Maybe SE owners?

What do you guys think, would you be interested in a diesel Challenger if it had those kinds of numbers?
If it got those kinds of numbers you would see all the manufacturers doing something similar. I'm not sure where you got 46 mpg but the smaller lighter 3 series diesel gets 36mpg.

The problem then is that you have much more expensive diesel fuel in most parts of the country combined with higher maintenance which doesn't offset the better fuel economy until years down the road.

Not to mention even though the 3 series has a diesel available with huge torque the 335 mops the floor with it and handles much better because it doesn't have the added weight of the diesel right over the front wheels.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Diesel fuel in the US costs more then gasoline, so whatever MPG improvement over gasoline it has, needs to take this into account. Traditionally, Americans don't like diesels - and the EPA regulations on them are severe, on the Mercedes engines you have to carry/add a urea fluid to meet emissions.
Can you just pee in the gas tank? J/k.

Anyways, I've always wondered myself what's the $cost/mile difference between a typical diesel and a gas engine?

I know you get a *lot* more longevity out of a diesel motor (low rpm == much fewer piston miles), but if it costs more per mile or incurs more maintenance, where's the break-even point between the two regarding total-cost-of-ownership?

·
Banned
1,540 Posts
Good point Swede. Try installing a Cummings in a Challenger and see what kind of suspension and bracing it would take to keep the front end up. Anyone owning a diesel plays the odds the injector pump will fail. I don't know, a diesel car just doesn't scream muscle car. Muscle cars leave smoke with their tires, not belching out the tailpipe.

Jack

1 - 16 of 16 Posts