Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Super Moderator
16,091 Posts
The 12V power port inside the console is powered full-time.

The 12V port at the front of the console by the dash is switched power.

·
Registered
211 Posts
The 12V power port inside the console is powered full-time.

The 12V port at the front of the console by the dash is switched power.
Hal, please confirm... does the USB connector inside the console charge the iPod and if so, only when the power is on ? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Hal, please confirm... does the USB connector inside the console charge the iPod and if so, only when the power is on ? Thanks.
I think that he is saying that the 12V (cigarette outlet) stays "live" with the car off, not the USB port.

For what it's worth, my iPod wouldn't charge in my "old" 2009 Challenger SRT8 whether the car was on or not. So, if the new USB setup even charges my iPod while I'm driving, I would consider that a plus. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
211 Posts
I think that he is saying that the 12V (cigarette outlet) stays "live" with the car off, not the USB port.

For what it's worth, my iPod wouldn't charge in my "old" 2009 Challenger SRT8 whether the car was on or not. So, if the new USB setup even charges my iPod while I'm driving, I would consider that a plus. :thumbsup:
Thanks for jumping in gr8srt8 :) I know Hal was referring to the 12V outlet. My question is related to the USB. I can't immediately tell if it charges my iPod because when connected the screen reads uConnect - - and nothing else. Looking for confirmation on that.

·
Super Moderator
16,091 Posts
I don't know about the iPod connector port - I do have the Elect. Conv. Group (and therefore the iPod connector), but I don't own an iPod or MP3 player.

I have the 6CD in-dash head unit Media Center 230/REQ and use CD/DVD/MP3 discs in my car.

Someone else will have to add a post for that info about whether the multi-pin connector is continuous power or switched.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Im not sure,i haven't tried it but i thought i read somewhere that if you move fuse #18 in-line with the rest, the 12V power port will be hot all the time.

#18 20 Amp Yellow Selectable Power Outlet

Attachments

·
Registered
47 Posts
I just tested mine. The USB connector in the center console does not charge the ipod/iphone when the engine is off.

Alright! Just answered my first "tech question" on CT! :)

·
Registered
211 Posts
I just tested mine. The USB connector in the center console does not charge the ipod/iphone when the engine is off.

Alright! Just answered my first "tech question" on CT! :)
Thank you, sir. Now we're halfway there. Does it charge the iPod when the engine is on? I suppose I can try to unplug the iPod and monitor the battery drain but when the car is on there's only the uConnect screen on the iPod and no indication of charging (or not charging). Reportedly earlier Challengers with USBs did not charge.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Now we're halfway there. Does it charge the iPod when the engine is on?
ah.. missed that open question. Yes, it does, at least for my iphone. Have not tried an ipod but I assume "yes" as well. On my iphone, I get the usual vibration signal when charging begins and the get the little lightning bolt symbol in the middle of the battery icon signifying that it's charging.

Also, when I shut off the engine, it took a few seconds for the charging icon to disappear. So don't be fooled...

·
Registered
211 Posts
ah.. missed that open question. Yes, it does, at least for my iphone. Have not tried an ipod but I assume "yes" as well. On my iphone, I get the usual vibration signal when charging begins and the get the little lightning bolt symbol in the middle of the battery icon signifying that it's charging.

Also, when I shut off the engine, it took a few seconds for the charging icon to disappear. So don't be fooled...

Sounds convincing enough for me. Will unplug the iPod and try my iPhone later this evening to check. Thanks, Lance :bigthumb:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts