Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,964 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Can someone get pictures of the new Air Box and particularly the air hole and the inside of it. After reviewing the video of Ralph driving the Green With Envy, he mentioned something about the air box hole being opened up which resulted in more horsepower. Also, he mentions about the engine drawing in more cold air.

I'm curious to see how they did this.

Also, for current 5.7 and 6.1 owners, Ralph mentioned that they have a thing called "Spark Trim", where the engine will pull spark as it heats up and the new design helps to reduce this.

I think part of it is that the IAT sensor is relocated so that it is not as affected by engine heatsoak but I'd also like to get an idea of the new air box modification.

·
Registered
4,964 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well went in a looked at a 392 (anticipation was killing me). They did redesign quite a bit with the air box. The lower airbox is now sealed to the hole that opens to the fender well behind the front fog light. Also looks like there is a plastic wall between the lower fender well and the engine block.

The fender hole looks more like an L-shape and is bigger than the original one. I didn't open up the air box as it is now screwed on there rather than clamped so couldn't tell much more than that.

Still, if someone owns a 392 and is changing out their air filter and can get some pictures, that'd be nice :bigthumb:. I could see a lot of 6.1 and 5.7L owners benefiting from the research done on the new air box.

·
Registered
4,964 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
So, going through the 2011 Mopar Parts, here's the diagram of the new Air Box.

(1). Air Filter (new design and larger)
(6). Duct, Clean Air (a snorkel tube)

Notice that the bottom of the air box hole is now triangular and also seals to the Duct, Clean Air Tube below. This new duct sits in the fender well. This larger filter and the sealed design might attribute to why the R/T model now makes 379 hp and 410 lbs/ft compared to the 376 hp and 404 lbs/ft.

In order to make this modification for 2010 and previous models, here are a couple of issues.

(1). Relocation of the Power Steering Reservoir. The current reservoir would have to be moved from the current Coolant Tank Location. Another viable option would be to upgrade the existing power steering pump to the Heavy Duty power steering pump. A little more research would have to be addressed but it looks like it could be an easy bolt on/swap. A matter of figuring out the return and input lines perhaps.

(2). Change out the coolant tank to the newer one. The current tank runs approx $64.00 so I would venture to say that the newer one will be similarly priced.

(3). The air hole would have to be cut to match the bottom air box and the air duct below it.

In all, it's interesting to go through the design aspects of the air box. The closest two designs for the aftermarket that I've seen come close are the RotoFab intake and the Cervinis Ram Air system. Again the issue still resides with the IAT sensor location so perhaps this can be something these two companies relook. More to follow.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Interesting find. Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
very nice detective work rayzazoo!

while i see how this would benefit over the current stock airbox, i would think the "srt chin spoiler air duct" mod would work even better because it would be bringing in fresh air from the very front right up to the airbox. also it would be pushed in as opposed to just pulling from a lower spot as this new airbox looks to do.

i'm sure the engineers have thought this through, and i'm no engineer :) but i'm still sticking to the srt spoiler mod as the best route to bring fresh cool air in directly to the airbox to suck into the engine. now if only someone would make a piece of ducting that fits perfectly from the opening of the spoiler to the hole in the bottom of the box, it would be an "air-tight" (no pun intended) setup!

take a look at some of the ideas...

http://www.challengertalk.com/forums/f18/srt-chin-spoiler-ram-air-project-r-t-42808/

·
Registered
4,964 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Resurfacing the thread.

Can someone post pictures of the new IAT sensor inside the intake tube. I saw a picture of it on another thread but can't find the thread. From what I saw, the sensor is now located in the middle of the airstream.

·
Registered
3,733 Posts
Resurfacing the thread.

Can someone post pictures of the new IAT sensor inside the intake tube. I saw a picture of it on another thread but can't find the thread. From what I saw, the sensor is now located in the middle of the airstream.
Here ya go.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Seems like a lot of work to go with an '11 air box. Just took another look at my stock '10 SRT air box. Seems to me all I'd have to do is seal the bottom of the box to that hole in the inner fender then relocate the IAT sensor about a foot closer to the air box.

I shined my flashlight through that hole just below the fog light and saw no light in the area inside the inner fender. I guess that hole is for cooling the brakes. Then I shined my light through the grill and I did see some light coming through. I won't get any "ram air" effect but then again I won't have to worry about water getting in (we do drive in the rain).

·
Registered
4,964 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)

·
Registered
825 Posts
think it also requires the power steering reservoir to be changed to the new 2011 unit.. which might also require the pump upgrade..

...while im at it might as well upgrade the steering rack to the quicker ratio!

:thumbsup:

·
Registered
4,964 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So went to get the 2011 IAT. $4 part. Doesn't look like it will fit the black fitting IAT plug. Maybe might work on the 5.7L Grey plug.

·
Registered
825 Posts
I took a 2011 SRT 392 apart yesterday and item #6 in the exploded view above wasnt installed?!?! :scratchhead:

brand new car.. less than 100 miles on it?!?! Wonder if they jsut forgot to put it on!??!

anyone have a 2011 they could check and verify?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts