Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So here is the scoop. Drag racing at Fontana Auto Club Speedway on a Saturday night. I was staged in lane 1 and I noticed the all black 2011 Shelby GT500 in the lane next to me. I put down the side window and yelled "Grudge Match?" He asked me what times I was running and at the time my best was a 12.9. He gave me a nod and when we got to the front of the line the pit crew lined us up to go head to head. The Shelby got the jump on me when he red-lighted (left before the green). I followed suit with a less than stellar reaction time, passed him just after 60 feet and he never caught up. I passed the finish line almost half a second faster than the Shelby. Here is the timeslip to prove it. I am the car on the right. The best time the Shelby got that night was a 12.9. The DA was 3000 plus.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
GJ man!!! Sure it felt good.....

·
Premium Member
456 Posts

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Good job. He was pulling hard. Look at the mph. 114.12. That is where you start seeing the weight difference. Did you talk to him afterwards? I would like to see if he wished he bought a 392

·
Registered
531 Posts
Glad you finally posted before I spilled the beans! It was an awesome day at the track and that was the icing on the cake! Great run, and a nice victory too. Way to go SparkChicken!

·
Registered
726 Posts
Nice times and a very good 1/8 mile time. Come on out this thursday july 21 at IRWINDALE as were having a meet there with the jeeps and all cars are welcome to come join in and do battle.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
I believe traction must be the problem for the 500's. With the extra power and lower weight, all other things being equal, should be the winner. I do notice the 4 mph higher trap speed which shows the extra power.

Good job on the win.

·
Banned
7,566 Posts
When I was deciding what direction to go with my car the GT500 was my performance target. I did quite a bit of checking, reading, etc and they "usually" run 12.30s at about 115 with good tires.

I have far surpassed that and my new target is my buddy's 2008 Z06.

Nice job on the kill.

·
Registered
2014 SRT Core
11,033 Posts
Way to go, helping to give us Mopar guys a good rep. Two thumbs up. :thumbsup::bigthumb:

·
Registered
2011 392 SRT, 2010 R/T Classic, 2019 R/T Plus, 2016 SXT Plus
459 Posts
SparkChicken,

Sorry if I've missed it, but are you running any mods? What was your setup? (i.e. lower rear tire pressure, ice on the intake? LOL....?)

I need to get my car to the track as well.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Manual vs. automatic. The A5 puts it down better on the hole shot and with no time lost between shifts.

The GT500 is clearly the more powerful car - the trap speed at 660' and 1320' proves it. But he had a crap launch just like the rest of us M6 drivers, and it looks like he might have blown the 2-3 shift based on his 1/8 mile ET.

Great run and I'm glad you toasted him, especially since he went red and you still passed him with a pretty sleepy light. I bet he was astonished to be looking at your tail-lights at 330 feet. Ha!

·
Premium Member
2011, Mean Green Machine
2,051 Posts
Wow excellent run....and nice kill. Was that your best run of the night,.....or did you improve on that? Did you get get into the 11's? Either way congrats on a good night at the track.........:thumbsup:

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
SparkChicken,

Sorry if I've missed it, but are you running any mods? What was your setup? (i.e. lower rear tire pressure, ice on the intake? LOL....?)

I need to get my car to the track as well.
My Setup was;

Stock F1 tires rear at 26 psi
K&N drop in filter
Blastin Bob's resonator delete...thats it

My launch was;

Autostick mode in 1st, let the car do the shifting at redline
Power brake to 1500 RPM
Traction control completely off
Released the brake and waited till 5-10 MPH and then punched it

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Wow excellent run....and nice kill. Was that your best run of the night,.....or did you improve on that? Did you get get into the 11's? Either way congrats on a good night at the track.........:thumbsup:
That was my best run of the night, and his best was 12.9 that night. The DA was +2548. So my corrected time would have been 12.432 @ 114.31 MPH

1 - 20 of 54 Posts