Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if the 5.7 would take the 392 cam. I haven't ever bothered to try and do a cam, so I'm pretty new to this. Question is, if it will take the 392 cam, what else would be required? Rockers, rollers, anything else?

·
Premium Member
3,089 Posts
The lifters in 08 5.7 are MDS lifters. You can put in several different cams. With the changes for the 09's..variable cam timing etc, I do not know. I think without doing heads, intake, headers, a cam is a waste of $$$.

·
Registered
899 Posts
I dont even think you could use a conventional cam in the VCT block. Ive asked multiple times how sophisticated the VCT system is but I can not find an answer, nor any information on the subject.

·
Premium Member
5,655 Posts
The VCT motors might not take to aftermarket cams?
I dont think thats the case, because there are hondas that have variable timing and there are plenty of options for those guys. I think we will probably have to start from a clean slate on the 5.7 now.

·
Premium Member
5,655 Posts
I was wondering if the 5.7 would take the 392 cam. I haven't ever bothered to try and do a cam, so I'm pretty new to this. Question is, if it will take the 392 cam, what else would be required? Rockers, rollers, anything else?

I dont know about the VVT 5.7's, but the earlier 5.7's will take the cam. You would need a set of machined heads, possibly even the 6.1 stage II heads and intake from PPP.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts