Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have read so many posts about what parts people are using to swap out cams in the 5.7 hemi with the 6.4L cams. Everything from parts to places to order, and there are many different vendors and places to do the work. My question is, can you use all the Mopar parts form a 6.4L to do the swap, cam, springs, retainers and cups. I am doing it in my 2009 RT 6 speed. You can order all the stuff from Allmopar.com or is there a reason to get different brand parts. Just a bit confused.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
6,756 Posts
If you use the performance springs from mopar (BTW you can buy the springs individually which is cheaper than the kit) no additional retainers or shims required.

Link to the spring kit (works with the factory seats, retainers, and locks, and requires no shims or machining of the cylinder head).

Post confirming individual springs P/N 68277306AA is the same as in the kit. (this member just did the 6.4 cam in 5.7 swap)

Really no need to replace the lifters if going to a 6.4 cam unless you install a non-MDS cam in a motor that originally cam with MDS.

As for the pushrods, I highly recommend going aftermarket...better quality.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
6,756 Posts
FWIW I have a thread where I am installing a 6.2 cam (very similar specs to a 6.4 cam) in a 5.7.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
6,756 Posts
The springs listed above work for a 5.7 and 6.4 (need shims though). 6.4 springs are not ideal as they have higher install heights than the 5.7. Here are some specs which I pulled from various sources including some Hemi books from Shepard. Not 100% sure all these are correct as I have seen discrepancies between sources.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Chally-Tatum I was wondering if in any of your research, if you or one of the other members came up with the coil bind numbers for the Eagle and 6.4 springs. Which would give you a better idea of how much cam lift the springs could actually handle. I tested an Eagle valve spring at one time and I came up with 1.400 coil bind, with what I heard about beehive springs you can run them down to 0.050 before coil bind which would give them a max valve lift of .540 (.590 lift is coil bind). Does anyone have a 6.4 spring they can check.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
6,756 Posts
No exact coil binding numbers but have seen discussions about it.

Since I was not going with large lift cam I did not really spend much time determine coil bind as the performance springs from mopar basically spec the max lift they are able to handle.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I should clarify that the .050 clearance for the beehive springs is something that I read in my research on the web, so always check with spring manufacturers for there specs. I put the PSI 1511 springs on my heads when I changed out the cam for the 6.4 non mds cam and now I have a custom cam with .590 in. and .585 ex. lift and still using the 1511 springs. But just looking at all the specs for the 5.7 eagle springs the 6.4 cam will not work with them and you would need a cam with less than .540 lift to work with the stock springs. The funny thing is the eagle springs have the highest spring rate, even higher than the PSI 1511's. Which are 384# per inch, 6.4 are 389#, and eagles are 413#. The difference is the thickness of the coil wire and number of windings which gives the spring more lift before coil bind, the PSI 1511 has the lowest installed height at 1.800 to the 6.4 2.051/2.016 and eagle at 1.990, PSI has the highest lift .625.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
6,756 Posts
Honestly, I don't take any of the OEM specs at face value. Even the FSM shows the cam journals across engine platforms to be different (although I think for the 5.7 they are using pre-eagle dimensions) which I know is a lie because folks have been swapping cams with no issues. Besides, why use 6.4 springs when the mopar performance spring are designed for higher lift on a 5.7. Plus they can be had dirt cheap if buying them individual using the 68277306AA P/N as borntorun verified is the same as in the kit.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts