Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to do a "budget" cam swap on my '10 Challenger R/T Classic. I'm installing JBA headers within the next couple weeks, and starting to save up for everything else that I'll need.

I've been wondering though; which cam would be better? The 392 cam, or the Comp Cams Thumpr? I've seen lots of guys doing similar builds with the 392 and getting 60-80 hp with shorty headers and a good tune. I haven't seen much of anything about the Thumpr cam. They're about the same price in parts, too. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
912 Posts
Probably the aftermarket cam since its tuned for peak performance. Imo i would do a crazy cam with longtubes though or else they’ll never breath right. The 6.4 cam is essentially engineered to work with your current headers. But either way if you end up saving money and going the 6.4 cam route, the long tubes will be worth every $

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I agree that long tube headers will get you more power, but I’m focusing more on a budget power build. If I can manage about 80 hp out of a bunch of little both on things, that would be awesome. I might end up doing a 100 shot of nitrous later on, too.

·
Registered
4,337 Posts
I would get the biggest cam that does not require a new Torque converter! I just got a quote from OST Dyno for a cam I wanted, solely based on a Bad ASS idle clip I heard.... Headers, cam and tune, 11k because the cam REQUIRES ported heads and a new Converter.... LOL I guess I am going to get there in stages. Hope to start on it with a Tune and maybe headers in the spring.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Best to do a custom cam from OST Dyno, MMX, or Jay Greene. The off the shelf grinds are decent, but custom is the way to go. Give each shop a call and check on what packages they offer.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
About this Discussion
4 Replies
4 Participants
xxdirtyjoexx
Dodge Challenger Forum
Challenger Talk, the online forum for discussions, reviews of Dodge Challenger, and all things SRT, Hellcat, and Demon.
Full Forum Listing