Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been thinking about doing a cam on my '10 6 speed 5.7 since I installed my LT headers a few months ago. So after some research on here and Google I found the stock 392 cam and Mopar performance valve springs 68277306AA. Looking at these springs because they're significantly cheaper than any other spring on the market and offer the same or similar specs to most. So my question is would I need valve shims with these springs and if so what size? 0.30"? Gonna go with new .080 pushrods while I'm there as well for insurance since I'm at 60,000 miles and can't have anything go wrong.( It's my daily and I'm a college student)

Shout out to born to run for finding those valve springs for super cheap.

·
Registered
4,868 Posts
Born to run found out that the 68277306AA is the same spring found in the P5160074 kit.

P5160074 kit only requires shims for the 6.4 not the 5.7, even states in the advertisement.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Born to run found out that the 68277306AA is the same spring found in the P5160074 kit.

P5160074 kit only requires shims for the 6.4 not the 5.7, even states in the advertisement.
Awesome so just to verify, using a 6.4 cam, manley .120 pushrods, otherwise stock valve train, I won't need any shims with those springs in a 5.7?

·
Registered
4,868 Posts
No shims required for 5.7 eagle engine when installing a 6.4 cam using those springs. In fact, I have the same springs and will be installing a 6.2 (almost identical to 6.4 cam but longer duration slight difference in lift) cam in my 2015 5.7 M6. Was supposed to start yesterday but wifey has other plans for the long weekend.

On a M6 challenger the cam swap is pretty straight forward, just need beefier springs and pushrods.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks a lot for the help and good luck on ur build. I just finished rebuilding my brothers 5.7 in his ram from the short block up and did a 268 cam, springs etc. So im pretty confident I can do all this myself with ease.

·
Registered
4,868 Posts
I went with the compcam version a while back...they measure a tad longer giving slightly more preload. This was for a non-MDS 5.7. BTW the mileage in that thread was 18,000 miles not 1800 miles.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just an update on the build. So all my parts are here and to verify the springs i ordered are the exact same as the mopar performance spring kit, just cheaper, they literally came in a bag with the part # for the $250 spring kit, just for $90 total since i ordered 16 inidividual springs. I was hoping on doing the install this weekend but fedex lost my timing cover gasket and found it 10 days later now across the country. So install will be for next weekend and i will update again after its all in and tuned and i may even get on a dyno to see some numbers.

·
Registered
4,868 Posts
Wish I would have held off on buying the kit but good to know it can be had for ~1/3 the cost. I am curious to find out how difficult pulling the cam out was for you as mine required more force (more like torque) than I anticipated...at one point it felt like it was locked in place and required a wrench to spin if free while I tugged on it. Even putting the new cam required some persuasion. BTW you should be fine to start up the cam with a stock tune as the cam always runs full advance at idle. Compared to a 5.7 the 6.4 seems to run a couple of more degrees (~10) advanced.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
About this Discussion
8 Replies
3 Participants
ChallyTatum
Dodge Challenger Forum
Challenger Talk, the online forum for discussions, reviews of Dodge Challenger, and all things SRT, Hellcat, and Demon.
Full Forum Listing