Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,556 Posts
I heard or read somewhere (can't remember where though) that the 6.4L is actually 391.1cid...:scratchhead:

·
Premium Member
1,556 Posts
Who likes the mopar appearence package ?
I like it but not for the price they charge for it.:notallthere:

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
I heard or read somewhere (can't remember where though) that the 6.4L is actually 391.1cid...:scratchhead:
If its 6.4 even that should be a 390 cu.in if my math is right, actually 390.55 so rounding up would be 391. Pulled up the window sticker on that car and sure enough the MSRP was $50,590.

·
Registered
396 Posts
I like it but not for the price they charge for it.:notallthere:
Yeah but in 30 years when we are close to pushing daisy's (if not sooner)
it'll be these wacky options at wackier prices that will cause the collectible frenzy for the next gen mopar nutz

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Yeah but in 30 years when we are close to pushing daisy's (if not sooner)
it'll be these wacky options at wackier prices that will cause the collectible frenzy for the next gen mopar nutz
Yeah, but how will anyone know what originally came with what car? The window sticker?? That can be forged. Unlike its older cars, Dodge doesn't have a placard affixed to our cars that deciphers which options came with it from the factory. Unless someone knows otherwise! Hmmm???

·
Premium Member
3,548 Posts
Yeah but in 30 years when we are close to pushing daisy's (if not sooner) it'll be these wacky options at wackier prices that will cause the collectible frenzy for the next gen mopar nutz
The problem with that theory is that cars built 30 years ago were built with steel and other metal parts. Nowadays, cars are built with plastics and pot metal and have an intended useful parts life of just a few years.

·
Premium Member
669 Posts
Unless something has changed recently the factory installed Mopar interior and Mopar Exterior appearance packages are not actually installed at Brampton (maybe BB can add something here), but at another vendor outside the plant before they are shipped to dealer. Having said that, I guess it doesn't make it any less "original" than the stripes on Challengers (at Ground Effects) and Vipers (Prefix).

·
Premium Member
669 Posts
As for how collectible these cars will be in 30 years, I would just say look around at the younger generations. They will be the ones buying them, and I don't see them being interested. However, you might want to buy some classic ipods and not take them out of the box. Might be worth a couple million bucks in 2040.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Yeah, but how will anyone know what originally came with what car? The window sticker?? That can be forged. Unlike its older cars, Dodge doesn't have a placard affixed to our cars that deciphers which options came with it from the factory. Unless someone knows otherwise! Hmmm???
You're not faking this

Attachments

·
Registered
396 Posts
As for how collectible these cars will be in 30 years, I would just say look around at the younger generations. They will be the ones buying them, and I don't see them being interested. However, you might want to buy some classic ipods and not take them out of the box. Might be worth a couple million bucks in 2040.
Maybe but if that were the case how do you explain people still paying
big $$$ for Duesnbergs , V16 Caddies , 500k Merdces , Auburn Cords, Packards , Bugatti's & assorted mechanical treasures from the turn of the century on up ?

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
You're not faking this
Please tell me that you're kidding.

A piece of paper with only text, no graphics or a seal. I've seen fake money that almost baffles the FBI.

A window sticker??? It could be duplicated with basic MS Office programs and a trip to Staples.

·
Premium Member
669 Posts
Maybe but if that were the case how do you explain people still paying
big $$$ for Duesnbergs , V16 Caddies , 500k Merdces , Auburn Cords, Packards , Bugatti's & assorted mechanical treasures from the turn of the century on up ?
Point taken, but they are usually sheiks in the middle east, and there were so few made of those items that it makes the 392IE look like a Camry as far as production goes.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Please tell me that you're kidding.

A piece of paper with only text, no graphics or a seal. I've seen fake money that almost baffles the FBI.

A window sticker??? It could be duplicated with basic MS Office programs and a trip to Staples.
True, then they would have to also copy the title , invoice/bill of sale , reg
& 2000 digital pictures most owners will have taken & assume the there is no type of vin decode .

That's what I triple matted & framed along with pics when I bought my
2006 Z06 & I mean seriously WTH would waste their time to forge a window sticker for 1 option package :notallthere:

As I have seen it , this is the only way to load the car to exceed 50K
& by this time next year you'll probably have all the resources on this forum to decode what color gum buyers were chewing when they closed their deals

·
Registered
396 Posts
Point taken, but they are usually sheiks in the middle east, and there were so few made of those items that it makes the 392IE look like a Camry as far as production goes.
You need to watch a few episodes of Mecum :thumbsup:
I see cherry 81 Z28's over 20K+ for guys wanting to recapture their
youth or guys that liked the car back in the day & have $$ for it now

That's the way it is with cars & collectors
It's likely these days of relatively common 400-600hp is #'d anyway since
the cartels will make sure to bang you for $5 plus for gas soon

In 5 years we may be talking the collectable days of Li-ion battery cars
& what glory days they were

·
Premium Member
669 Posts
You need to watch a few episodes of Mecum :thumbsup:
I see cherry 81 Z28's over 20K+ for guys wanting to recapture their
youth or guys that liked the car back in the day & have $$ for it now

That's the way it is with cars & collectors
It's likely these days of relatively common 400-600hp is #'d anyway since
the cartels will make sure to bang you for $5 plus for gas soon

In 5 years we may be talking the collectable days of Li-ion battery cars
& what glory days they were
I have watched more than my fair share, and have even been to Mecum auctions, as well as Barrett-Jackson, and my point is still valid. Those same people you are talking about were interested in cars when they were kids because there wasn't much else to be interested in. Kids today are not as interested in cars as the baby boomers and generations past because there are so many other things that capture their imagination. Also people didn't buy cars as investments back then so not as many made it through in "mint" condition as a result. Today, people will buy a car (myself included) and keep it in the wrapper hoping that one day it pays off. So by no means am I saying that there won't be some cars that bring good money in days to come, but using an 80's Z28 is a bad investment even if purchased new based on your dollar figures. If the car cost $9k in 1980 and brought $20k in 2011, using simple time value of money calculations you would have done just as well to let the money sit in a savings account or cd (will admit that is not as fun though).

All that being said, even in the older cars, it was the performance options that make cars more valuable today (Hemi, 1LE, axle ratios, COPO, etc...). Never heard anyone say that the 1971 Challenger is worth more because it has the hi-fi 8-track player and factory installed side sills. Like Jay Leno says

"The reason is simple: I’ve always bought cars I really want to own. If you buy a car that you like, and it loses its value, at least you still like it. Besides, even if the car’s value does go down a little, it will come back up at some point down the road."

"People ask me if they should buy a new car and tuck it away as an investment. I think it’s ridiculous to buy something and just squirrel it away. The fuel will eventually go bad, all the moving parts will still have to be lubricated, and you still have to insure it. Cars should be driven. If you let a car sit, you’ll eventually have to flush the fuel system, replace the electronics and more. Buying any car and putting it into storage for years gets you nothing. It’s a bad idea. You won’t be buying something you like—you’re just trying to make money."

The moral of the story, just buy what you like. Oh, and in fairness to you (OZ), Jay does go on to say that just because they made a million mustangs doesn't mean they won't be worth something, as most are used up leaving the survivors to increase in value. He also said some of the more unusual features on cars back then that are no longer available today (such as push button transmission in Chryslers) may add to the value. But he keeps going back to buy what you like and don't worry about the rest.

·
Registered
396 Posts
I have watched more than my fair share, and have even been to Mecum auctions, as well as Barrett-Jackson, and my point is still valid. Those same people you are talking about were interested in cars when they were kids because there wasn't much else to be interested in. Kids today are not as interested in cars as the baby boomers and generations past because there are so many other things that capture their imagination. Also people didn't buy cars as investments back then so not as many made it through in "mint" condition as a result. Today, people will buy a car (myself included) and keep it in the wrapper hoping that one day it pays off. So by no means am I saying that there won't be some cars that bring good money in days to come, but using an 80's Z28 is a bad investment even if purchased new based on your dollar figures. If the car cost $9k in 1980 and brought $20k in 2011, using simple time value of money calculations you would have done just as well to let the money sit in a savings account or cd (will admit that is not as fun though).

All that being said, even in the older cars, it was the performance options that make cars more valuable today (Hemi, 1LE, axle ratios, COPO, etc...). Never heard anyone say that the 1971 Challenger is worth more because it has the hi-fi 8-track player and factory installed side sills. Like Jay Leno says

"The reason is simple: I’ve always bought cars I really want to own. If you buy a car that you like, and it loses its value, at least you still like it. Besides, even if the car’s value does go down a little, it will come back up at some point down the road."

"People ask me if they should buy a new car and tuck it away as an investment. I think it’s ridiculous to buy something and just squirrel it away. The fuel will eventually go bad, all the moving parts will still have to be lubricated, and you still have to insure it. Cars should be driven. If you let a car sit, you’ll eventually have to flush the fuel system, replace the electronics and more. Buying any car and putting it into storage for years gets you nothing. It’s a bad idea. You won’t be buying something you like—you’re just trying to make money."

The moral of the story, just buy what you like. Oh, and in fairness to you (OZ), Jay does go on to say that just because they made a million mustangs doesn't mean they won't be worth something, as most are used up leaving the survivors to increase in value. He also said some of the more unusual features on cars back then that are no longer available today (such as push button transmission in Chryslers) may add to the value. But he keeps going back to buy what you like and don't worry about the rest.
In principle I agree with most of your observations . From a practicle standpoint because of the flood of products whether a manufactured "collectible" or an actual one the trajectory seems to be steep decline in price where the secondary market takes ahold , beats them good & a few decades later collectors will pay premium for low miles mint documented
examples & this is the case in most collectibles.

Jay Leno operates in a whole different universe. He's not the guy @ mecum
sweating out a 50 to 100K battle for un-named muscle car.

I bet if some guy rolls out a low miles mint Thunderbird SC ,
Dodge stealth turbo , Convertible Shelby Dakota , GMC Typhoon
Buick GN or GNX even old celicas, datsun z's & other assorted japanese nameplates from the 70's & 80's are appreciating

For the record I buy what I like & don't much care what happens
but I've been kinda sort of a hobbyists in cars & other collectibles for 30+ years . In college (1981) I was the guy that was trying to buy a gull wing mercedes for 25K , a bit out of my range so never got it. No biggie cuz I probably would've flipped it when it hit 30K & be crying ever since.

·
Premium Member
1,556 Posts
They say history repeats itself. I doubt that we've seen anything that will appreciate like the HEMI cars from the last muscle car era did but who knows, maybe its yet to come. Challengers will be collectible, maybe not like the originals but still collectible. I'm 23, no not every one my age is a car guy, but some of us are. There are still people my age that would love to own a Challenger and for whatever reason can't right now. The demand is there. Have a little faith in the younger gear heads, they might prove to be as loyal if not more.

·
Registered
396 Posts
They say history repeats itself. I doubt that we've seen anything that will appreciate like the HEMI cars from the last muscle car era did but who knows, maybe its yet to come. Challengers will be collectible, maybe not like the originals but still collectible. I'm 23, no not every one my age is a car guy, but some of us are. There are still people my age that would love to own a Challenger and for whatever reason can't right now. The demand is there. Have a little faith in the younger gear heads, they might prove to be as loyal if not more.
Very cool to have a young guy into mopars :smokin:
My boys 16 & 18 grew up around cool cars & car shows
but never caught the bug
Maybe cuz I used to "ask" their help in detailing :scratchhead:
Today you're lucky to buy a car that doesn't totally tank in value
within 2 years & what you can say about many high performance cars,
at worst they retain their value better than most cars & that's something
when you're plunkn down 50K for a dodge or ford or gm
I kinda think the apex for domestic mfg's performance is the ZR1
Viper, for pony cars the 2011 Shelby GT500 , 2011 Challenger SRT
2012 Boss & the 2012 Z28 if they make it (not inlcuding caddie V Cars)
I don't see Vettes & Vipers going for 700 HP or Muscle cars striving for
600+ HP ( bone stock that is not tuner or specialty cars)
I suspect vastly improved interiors , handling / suspension, fit & finish
& creature comfort will define the next 5 years & this could really be the last harrah if gas busts through $5 relegating these cars to weekend warrior status.

Today's kids are groing up too politically correct eco friendly .
Brainwashed is what my 16 year old claims.
Driving V8's is likened to smokers by some.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts