Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Dodge Challenger SRT 392
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My coolant temps are higher than normal
I’ve installed a 180 thermostat back in December and I’ve notice recently my temps been higher than before anybody experienced this problem before?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
3,024 Posts
A lower temperature T-Stat doesn't make the engine run cooler. It just causes the engine to take longer to get up to temperature. How hot the engine gets is a factor of how hard it is being worked and how effective the cooling system is.

No real experience with my Hellcat yet, but in very high ambient temperatures -- in one case 116F (southern AZ in July) -- my Boxster's coolant temperature climbed to 226F. It had an approx. 180F T-stat installed (from the factory).

At other times when pushing the car hard on mountain roads in hot weather the coolant temperature would get to 226F but I could not get it to go higher. The Boxster's cooling system had the capacity to remove all the heat the engine could produce and keep the coolant temperature from climbing higher.

Any chance it has gotten warmer where you are? Now you probably already are aware of this, but I have found over the years that in cold weather my car engines run cooler than they do in warmer/hotter weather. In real cold temperature even at highway speed the coolant temperature struggles to reach 190F. But in hot weather as I touched upon above I've seen the coolant temperature climb to 226F and stay there for hours at 75mph speeds, until I managed to drive out of the pocket of extremely hot air that had settled over a portion of southern AZ.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It’s only 45 degrees here in Chicago but I’ve notice it climbs higher when I’m on the expressway.

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Well, if you believe the temperature rise is abnormal you have to consider the possibility there is some cooling system problem. You replaced the T-Stat, I take it? Perhaps the T-Stat is just not working properly? I was taught to before installing a new T-Stat to drop it in a pot of hot water on the stove and with a thermometer confirm the T-Stat opened at its temperature. I'm sure when the water pump was replaced on my Boxster and my Turbo along with the T-stat the tech didn't do this but he was relying upon the quality of OE T-stat.

During T-stat installation did you disconnect -- either on purpose or possibly by accident -- the radiator fan?

Not yet that knowledgeable of the radiator fan behavior in my Hellcat but with my other cars I confirmed the radiator fans turned on low speed at 212F coolant temperature, and switched to high speed if the coolant temperature climbed to 216F, and switched off once the coolant temperature dropped to 205F. A drive around town until the engine was fully up to operating temperature then on my driveway raising the engine speed to 1K RPMs or a bit higher and holding engine at these elevated RPms to raise the coolant temperature was all that was needed. (Oh, be sure the A/C is off. If it is on this can cause the radiator fan motor to run all the time and this can mask the behavior of the fan motor in relationship to how hot the coolant is.)

I used an OBD2 code reader/data viewer/data logger connected to the car's OBD2 port to monitor coolant temperature in real time. With my Hellcat I can call up the coolant temperature display and monitor this. So far it has been cool enough the coolant temperature barely gets over 200F when I bother to check it. Most of the time I have the oil temperature displayed.

Regardless of how you do it monitoring the coolant temperature and ideally observing it reach some threshold and confirming the radiator fan motor comes on and runs and the coolant temperature drops and at some point the fan shuts off might be a good idea. (With my Porsche 996 Turbo while the driver side radiator fan motor was running it was not moving the same amount of air through the radiator as the passenger side. One could tell by putting his hand where the air from the radiator fan exited the fan. The tech using the Porsche diagnostic computer found there were no fan stage errors but the driver side fan motor was drawing a lot more current than the passenger side fan motor so I had him replace the driver side radiator fan motor. Afterwards, testing the new fan motor we found -- felt -- it moved the same amount of air as the other fan. Might mention in this case and a time before when the passenger side radiator fan motor shaft snapped and there was no fan operation on the passenger side, the car never manifested any signs of overheating. The proper functioning of the other radiator fan motor was enough to control the coolant temperature. In fact the passenger side radiator fan motor shaft snapped in 90F+ heat and the engine ran just fine with no signs of overheating of even a mild kind and the A/C's performance was quite normal, too.)

·
Registered
624 Posts
My coolant temps are higher than normal
I’ve installed a 180 thermostat back in December and I’ve notice recently my temps been higher than before anybody experienced this problem before?

Did you change the engine fan temp settings when you swapped thermostats ?

·
Registered
2013 SRT8
1,057 Posts
Agreed with all said above. I did have this happen to me about a year or so ago. I replaced with a JET thermostat worked fine for a couple weeks, then the same thing happened. I finally just ordered another T-stat and it’s been fine ever since.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: rickytan

·
Registered
2016 Scat Pack Shaker
756 Posts
I recently installed a Mishimoto 180* T stat and had the tuner reset fan temp setting. Ambient temperature has not exceeded 70* since T stat installation and ECT has been constant 185*. Before installation ECT was consistently 203*+.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I’m going to put the stock thermostat back in and order another 180 thermostat

·
Registered
2016 Scat Pack Shaker
756 Posts
I’m going to put the stock thermostat back in and order another 180 thermostat

I did a fair amount of research about reliability of thermostats. Found enough complaints and failures with many popular brands that I decided to spend a couple bucks more on the Mishimoto. It appears very similar to the OE thermostat.

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
185F coolant temperature is cool. Maybe too cool. It was driving in the winter in my then new 2002 Boxster and observing the coolant temperature hovering in the 185F range that had the oil's water content in the 7% range after just 4K miles of driving.

Check the oil temperature. Even with the factory T-Stat in my 2018 Hellcat on the highway in 60F ambient temperature the oil temperature can get down to under 190F even though the coolant temperature is just above 200F. Oil at 190F or cooler is "cold" oil. The oil is intended to work best at 212F. That is what the 2nd viscosity number refers to: the oil's viscosity at 212F. And at 212F water boils out of the oil and the vapor is removed. This keeps water build up in the oil down.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
here’s my oil temp but I gets hot as well I’ve my oil temp go up to 222-225 degrees

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My 180 stat is from speedlogix I’ve just order one from Steve white parts

·
Registered
9,457 Posts
My 180 stat is from speedlogix I’ve just order one from Steve white parts

No wonder. I’ve read over the years that some members were having the same issues with stats bought from stolenlogix Apparently they never got rid of those.

·
Registered
9,674 Posts
here’s my oil temp but I gets hot as well I’ve my oil temp go up to 222-225 degrees

My '16 392, with a stock thermostat, runs from 195-205 after fully warmed up. Oil temp generally is about 20 higher.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Out aggressive driving and my oil temp reached

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
242F is oil temperature is getting up there. But pushing the car hard this is to be expected. Synthetic oil can take the heat.

Also, as I touched upon earlier the heat has the benefit of boiling water out of the oil. Water in oil lower's the oil's viscosity and can compromise its ability to protect the engine parts from metal to metal contact. Water in oil also increases the generation of oil vapor and the degree to which the oil gets aerated. In some cases -- high RPMs usage -- this can risk the oil pump pulling in air that has not had time to shed its load of air.

So far with my new Hellcat the oil temperature has not gotten any higher than 232F / 233F. 'course, it hasn't been real warm around here since I bought the car in Feb. Forecast is for daytime highs to get in the low to mid 70's which ain't hot by any stretch of the imagination but I'm a bit curious to see what the oil temperature does. 100F+ day time highs will be here before I know it.

·
Registered
4,294 Posts
Are you still on the stock tune? If so the coolant temp can hit 215 pretty easy when you don’t have airflow working for you, but on the highway it will drop back down to 195 pretty quick. I doubt your thermostat was bad...but let’s wait and see what a new one does. Btw seeing 240 oil temp is no big deal, if you really start pushing it you will see 270+ :) That is not a big deal for Mobil 1 or other good oils...

·
Registered
9,674 Posts
Yep, on a hot Summer "Cruise Night" we did about a 6 mile stretch going to various elderly care homes and a down the main drag "parade style" at 5-10 mph, with a lot of smoky burnouts too.

My oil temp hung around 245F during this, but the car was running fine, windows down and the air on.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Just installed the Original 203 thermostat and everything’s back to normal thanks guys!!!
One thing I notice on my part with the speedlogix thermostat I installed it position at 6oclock position instead of being at the 12oclock position as original. But I have another thermostat from Steve white coming in today we will see how that goes.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Just got the 180 thermostat from Steve white it’s new so I will be the 1st to give a overall review of the thermostat

1 - 20 of 31 Posts