Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

Does anyone know if this engine has the "cut-out cylinder" feature?

I asked my local dealer and they could not say for sure.

looking for a 392 and a 6-speed,

Thanks,

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Yet the 6spd should get better mpg. Also, you'll save $300 in gas guzzler taxes and $995 for the transmission that comes with the MDS engine...

·
Registered
41 Posts
I had MDS on a truck and I hated it...it was always kicking in and out and when I put a muffler on it sounded worse cause you could hear it more. I finally had it programmed out. It was on a chevy truck btw....just some food for thought.

·
Registered
2009 R/T
1,371 Posts
On Dodge.ca the price of the 6 speed is $2000 above the 2011 SRT8 392 base price. Also the MDS only comes on the auto. No mention that the 6.4 has VVT but I heard it does. Is stated on 5.7 .

Found it...VVT and variable intake on 6.4 .

·
Registered
197 Posts
Hmmm..MDS...I guess the new 6.4 is based off the 5.7 block..just bored and stroked a bit..and variable intake and Cam...Hmmmm..Intresting

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Chevy must not know how to do it right. I have the DWB R/T with MDS and LOVE it! I honestly can't tell when it shifts back and forth. I ALWAYS have all 8 on the command of my right foot. The Gas Pump is veeeeeeeeeeeery friendly too when you run around on 4 cylinders part of the time. I have experimented with driving by watching the "ECON - ON" or when it just says "ECON" (meaning it's on 8 cylinders without the "on" part of it). It's like the days of old when you drove watching the vacuum gauge. Maximum mileage........but alas, just when you're averaging about 26mpg some jerk in a Camaro makes me show him what top-end is all about!

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
Its a completely new block all together. It has more in common with the 57 than the 61 due to the vvt.
5.7: 3.58" stroke x 3.917" bore
6.1: 3.58" stroke x 4.06" bore
6.4: 3.72" stroke x 4.09" bore

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
On Dodge.ca the price of the 6 speed is $2000 above the 2011 SRT8 392 base price. Also the MDS only comes on the auto. No mention that the 6.4 has VVT but I heard it does. Is stated on 5.7 .

Found it...VVT and variable intake on 6.4 .
I just wonder why the 6.4 doesn't lose any horsepower when using MDS, but the 5.7 does:scratchhead:.

·
Registered
159 Posts
What is the story on the MPG for the Auto w/MDS and the 6 speed? - I have't see that anywhere.... Do they both have the same gas guzzler tax?

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
What is the story on the MPG for the Auto w/MDS and the 6 speed? - I have't see that anywhere.... Do they both have the same gas guzzler tax?
According to the Dodge "Build My Own" Website, the "392 CID V8 SRT HEMI® Eng w/Fuel Saver Technology" has a Gas Guzzler Tax w/DGJ of $1,300, while the regular "392 CID V8 SRT HEMI® Engine" has a Gas Guzzler Tax of $1,000.

If these prices are true, then the car with the lower gas guzzler tax gets the best mpg, right?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts