Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2013 R/T 5.7 AT5 makes a round trip from Western PA to Sanibel/Captiva Island Florida every Summer. (I put the wife on an airplane and make the road trip solo......separate story). Last year, I was feeling my oats, and made the drive from the Ft. Meyers Airport, to my home (1213 miles) in 17 hours and 30 minutes (Elapsed driving time was 16:55). I made a total of 5 stops (Fuel/Food/Restroom) that amounted to 35 minutes. Doing the math, I average over 71 MPH for the 16:55 driving time. Oh, and it was July, and near 100 degrees throughout much of Florida, Georgia and S.C. and low 90's all the way until I hit W.VA.

My question: Would a new 392 with 8AT have any issues with this sort of endurance run? The 5.7 obviously can do it? Even in the hottest parts of the south, all engine parameters were stable and normal (I watched them closely).

I'd really like a 392 in my next Challenger (Used primarily for a 72 mile daily round-trip from March to November), but would also like to continue my annual Florida road trip and I wouldn't want my endurance driving style to harm this high-performance motor.

Anybody done the "road warrior" bit with their 392?

·
Registered
318 Posts
We beat the piss out of the SRTs and Hellcats at Bob Bondurant all day in AZ and it was literally 115F. The one thing they recommended that is if your car got hot was to let it run at low RPM to let the fan work to cool down.

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We beat the piss out of the SRT's and Hellcats at Bob Bondurant all day in AZ and it was literally 115F. The one thing they recommended that is if your car got hot was to let it run at low RPM to let the fan work to cool down.
Compared to what you were doing at the race track, Cruising at 75-80 MPH on the highway, in overdrive, IS low RPMs. I know all about running hot. Couple years back, I took the car on this PA to Florida trip in late June, after a deer collision repair in April. Found out (painfully) that the body shop hadn't connected the electric fan. I ran the car daily from April until June, but never in stop-and-go traffic. Always moving, so I never noticed the lack of the fan running. Always enough air through the grill. On this trip, I left PA at 6:00 AM on a nice cool morning and drove all through Western PA, West VA. and VA. When I hit stop-and-go traffic at Lake Norman, N.C. (95 degrees at noon), I heated up like a Democrat at a Trump rally. Got off the highway as soon as I could, but I had already boiled the coolant and had an air-bubble in the block. Was able to limp to Columbia, S.C. (running with the roof/windows open and heater on), but she kept heating up. Ended up getting towed, and had to get it burped the next day. Finished the trip to Florida and trip home with no problems, and took it back to the dealer for a full flush and refill of MOPAR coolant (their nickel for screwing up in the first place). Can't believe with all the high tech gadgetry on this car, it can't detect a disconnected fan and notify me.

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
3,026 Posts
Have not had a chance to treat my Challenger with its 392 8-speed auto to a long road trip in any kind of weather but I have done this uncountable times with my other cars. From a lowly 1.9l TDi in my VW Golf to my GTO with its 6.0 V8 (and 6-speed manual) and my 996 Turbo with its 3.6l (with 413hp more than the 400hp the GTO engine produces) 6-speed manual even in temperatures of up to 118F for hours on end at 75mph (or higher in some areas) the engines, the cars, were just fine.

The engine is not working that hard even at 75mph on level ground. Takes around 45hp to move the car down the road at a steady speed even at highway speeds so it is not like the engine is making anywhere near its maximum HP.

(Actually the TDi engine was working pretty hard. With only 90hp it was operating at 50% of its rated output. Even so it was just fine and delivered around 40mpg too boot.)

But the other engines were operating at around 10% to 15% of their rated output. They can do this for hundreds of thousand of miles no problem.

·
Registered
9,674 Posts
I've done several "road trips" to the Rockies that were right at 1k to get there in one day. Mid Summer heat, driving 75-85 mph, and running the snot out of it as usual in various "safe" areas. Spent a few days in the mountains running the heck out of it, and then the 1k trip back home in a day.

The 392 is just lumbering along at 75-85mph. Can't see why you would be concerned with the reliability of the 392.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Driven my 392 SPS from Moab, UT all the way to LA while sitting in the worst Memorial Day traffic one can imagine with A/C on and up to 110F outside at times. No problem. Today's cars were designed to do this. That's why they do hot weather endurance testing in Death Valley and all.

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've done several "road trips" to the Rockies that were right at 1k to get there in one day. Mid Summer heat, driving 75-85 mph, and running the snot out of it as usual in various "safe" areas. Spent a few days in the mountains running the heck out of it, and then the 1k trip back home in a day.

The 392 is just lumbering along at 75-85mph. Can't see why you would be concerned with the reliability of the 392.
Read lots of references to "high performance" and the 392 seems to be the "racing" bigger brother to the 5.7. Takes special oil, premium gas.....stuff I'm not used to with my little HEMI. I just wanted to be sure that all of this performance doesn't come at the expense of any endurance.

·
Registered
9,674 Posts
Here's a thread about one of my trips .http://www.challengertalk.com/forums/f5/rocky-mountain-road-trip-598474/

Great mileage with the A8 using "Sport Mode" the entire time, which keeps the V8 a V8, and never goes into the MDS 4 banger mode.

Previous trips like this in my '10 R/TC got a little better mileage, but I also was using MDS.

Bottom line, IMO the SP is an outstanding road trip car. A smile every single mile!

Reactions: silver scat

·
Super Moderator
16,216 Posts
The 392 engines have the following items:

*oil jet squirters (cools underside of pistons)
*Severe Duty II cooling system
*engine water-to-oil cooler
*forged crankshaft
*sodium filled exhaust valves

The above items are not present on the 5.7 - so there's a number of provisions for the additional power output that engine has.

Similarly is how the Hellcat models have [beyond what 392 engine has]:

*Extended block water jackets - all the way to bottom of cylinder bore
*induction hardened crankshaft
*forged pistons
*external engine oil cooler
*oil cooler for both automatic or manual transmission

to cope with the additional loads of the s/c application and additional heat

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
3,026 Posts
The 392 engines have the following items:

*oil jet squirters (cools underside of pistons)
*Severe Duty II cooling system
*engine water-to-oil cooler
*forged crankshaft
*sodium filled exhaust valves

The above items are not present on the 5.7 - so there's a number of provisions for the additional power output that engine has.
It was the above list of 392 features that had me picking the 6.4l (392ci) engine over the 5.7l engine when I was looking for a Challenger. While I'm sure the 5.7l engine is darn good I think the 6.4l a bit better.

·
Registered
2015 Scat Pack
704 Posts
Last year I made the trip from Houston to Phoenix in summer heat and in cool fall weather. It was 1150 miles one way, I averaged 75 mph and 25 mpg. Made three and a half round trips. No problems whatsoever, the car ran great. Don’t worry.

·
Premium Member
2,658 Posts
Just curious, I know the 5.7 has been around for decades, how long has the 6.4 been around??

·
Registered
9,674 Posts
The present 5.7 with VVT came out for the '09 year in Challengers.

The present 392 came out in the '11 model year.

·
Premium Member
2016 Scat Pack
945 Posts
It became available in 2011 with the SRT Challenger. Not sure about any other application though.

Maybe you're thinking of the 6.lL?
I looked it up on wiki. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chrysler_Hemi_engine

I did see the quotation about it is being used in the 2011 challengers. I assumed the 392 HEMI was developed in 2005, being available in 2007, and yet, not put it in use till 2011.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,294 Posts
Just to clarify, the 392 racing crate engine developed back in 2005 is not at all like the VCT 6.4 Apache motor that came out in 2011 and is still currently used.

The only thing they have in common is displacement. That old 392 is essentially a modified 6.1 SRT motor, no VCT, big metal intake that was not active, and from what I remember, a hardly used engine that never really ran up to its potential.

·
Premium Member
2016 Scat Pack
945 Posts
Just to clarify, the 392 racing crate engine developed back in 2005 is not at all like the VCT 6.4 Apache motor that came out in 2011 and is still currently used.

The only thing they have in common is displacement. That old 392 is essentially a modified 6.1 SRT motor, no VCT, big metal intake that was not active, and from what I remember, a hardly used engine that never really ran up to its potential.
That makes sense now. I stand corrected. Many thanks!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
680 Posts
Drove my 392 car 650 miles home from the dealer the day I bought it brand new. No problems at all. I would not hesitate to drive it any distance. It's not like cruising at 70-80mph is "hard use", no matter the distance. That is just normal, low stress use for any vehicle.

1 - 20 of 80 Posts