Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As of yesterday I'm on my 3rd Challenger. First was a 2010 R/T, second a 2015 R/T Plus and now a 2018 SRT. Question...Why does the dodge.com website refer to the 392 Horsepower as "485 Estimated?"

·
Premium Member
2,659 Posts
Because it's not accurate.

and they don't want to be sued for miss stating the HP.

The "estimated" leaves them an out.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Interesting that the "Estimated" notation does not appear on all references to the 392. Back in the day Ford, GM and MOPAR routinely published HP ratings were grossly underreported for a variety of reasons. Obviously being new to the SRT world, are there questions as to the HP/torque ratings on the 392?

·
Registered
896 Posts
My guess would be the engines are rated for somewhere close to sea level. I'm at a mile high and certainly do not come close to 485 horses. Damn, I'm going sue them for getting an under powered engine LOL.

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
They are supposed to target a standard condition to rate horsepower with the society of automotive engineers(SAE) and I believe in the current standard, a density altitude of 1100 or 1400 is used. So it will make close to 500 at sea level, and less of course for us up here in the mountains. The DA in the summer here is 7-9k depending on the time of day, but my 392 will still perform pretty damn well I must say! :)

·
Premium Member
7,283 Posts
Back in the day some OEM's rated their HP numbers at a reduced rpm, like 5,000. That same engine at red line produced a lot more power. Thus the term 'underrated' was born.

·
Registered
13,540 Posts
Doesn't the 392 make about 420-430hp at the rear wheels? With the normal driveline loss that puts it right at the rated 485hp.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
682 Posts
Guys would greatly appreciate your thoughts and feedback on this. When you have your performance pages up and you have the engine metrics being displayed, have you ever seen your car reach its max hp of 485?? I haven't in mine. If I take it out and redline it rowing it through 1-3 (manual shifter), I don't see it getting over like 410 hp. And with all the mods the car has you would think it would be doing that at a bare minimum! Does your car hit its max hp of 485??

Going to be taking it to a dyno shop by me to be looked at - not sure if its the tune or what but I've even noticed a bit of lag or bogg that I just don't think should be there for the amount of hp the car has.

Appreciate your feedback on this!

·
Registered
138 Posts
Guys would greatly appreciate your thoughts and feedback on this. When you have your performance pages up and you have the engine metrics being displayed, have you ever seen your car reach its max hp of 485?? I haven't in mine. If I take it out and redline it rowing it through 1-3 (manual shifter), I don't see it getting over like 410 hp. And with all the mods the car has you would think it would be doing that at a bare minimum! Does your car hit its max hp of 485??

Going to be taking it to a dyno shop by me to be looked at - not sure if its the tune or what but I've even noticed a bit of lag or bogg that I just don't think should be there for the amount of hp the car has.

Appreciate your feedback on this!
Keep in mind that the in-car display shows numbers at the wheels. That's what it takes to accelerate your car with you in it at that place in time under current weather conditions. The 485hp rating is SAE net engine hp not hp at the wheels. It takes power to turn everything in the drivetrain so by the time you measure power at the wheels, its quite a bit less than what the engine puts out. 410whp is probably pretty close to 485 engine hp. If you think you should have more power than stock because you've done mods, the rest of the difference you're seeing could just be poor weather conditions.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Keep in mind that the in-car display shows numbers at the wheels. That's what it takes to accelerate your car with you in it at that place in time under current weather conditions. The 485hp rating is SAE net engine hp not hp at the wheels. It takes power to turn everything in the drivetrain so by the time you measure power at the wheels, its quite a bit less than what the engine puts out. 410whp is probably pretty close to 485 engine hp. If you think you should have more power than stock because you've done mods, the rest of the difference you're seeing could just be poor weather conditions.
Wow. I guess mine has 505 at the wheels then. Or at least it did last winter.
Car is bone stock with a hellcat airbox and element.

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
No, it's displaying engine power, not at the wheels like a dyno.

For Clevetown, keep us posted, with mods like that obviously the tune is critical. Not claiming to know anything groundbreaking here, but a local guy installed a 274 in his 392 and it just never tuned right and it faught him the whole time...and he blew up his motor after about 6 months. The 270 was deemed a more tunable cam, apparently the 274 is just too big? I dunno, but good luck!

·
Registered
682 Posts
No, it's displaying engine power, not at the wheels like a dyno.

For Clevetown, keep us posted, with mods like that obviously the tune is critical. Not claiming to know anything groundbreaking here, but a local guy installed a 274 in his 392 and it just never tuned right and it faught him the whole time...and he blew up his motor after about 6 months. The 270 was deemed a more tunable cam, apparently the 274 is just too big? I dunno, but good luck!
I'll keep you posted - as mentioned, taking it to the dyno shop and go from there. Thanks for the comment.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Yea understand that - just seems with the mods done on it - it should be producing more! Let you all know when I find out. Thanks.

·
Registered
116 Posts
OR its because of the different intake setups on the cars. Shaker, vs non shaker, vs T/A, vs SRT They probably all have a different effect on HP you make. I think going by what the Uconnect says you are making is NOT a good idea. Its slow to react and its more of a gee wiz toy, vs an accurate measurement of HP.

Just my opinion

·
Super Moderator
13,333 Posts
Back in the day some OEM's rated their HP numbers at a reduced rpm, like 5,000. That same engine at red line produced a lot more power. Thus the term 'underrated' was born.
That's exactly what Plymouth did with the high-winding 340 engine. The 1971 engine was rated at 275 hp. but the NHRA wasn't fooled and factored it up to 325 hp. Plymouth published horsepower readings at 5,000 rpm instead of 6,000 rpm.

·
Registered
586 Posts
That HP and TQ number on the dash is calculated based on fixed parameters that you have now changed if the car is tuned, and especially if it has different injectors or map sensor.
Basically it means little to nothing, especially once you start playing with mods.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
About this Discussion
18 Replies
14 Participants
spoolboy
Dodge Challenger Forum
Challenger Talk, the online forum for discussions, reviews of Dodge Challenger, and all things SRT, Hellcat, and Demon.
Full Forum Listing