Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,964 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Seeing as the new 392 has the engine oil cooler, can someone post what temperatures their 392 is running?

You should be able to find your engine oil temperature in the EVIC under the same menus that show your tire pressure sensor readouts.

Also, would the 392 oil cooler prolong engine oil life or decrease it?

The 6.1L runs around 203degs.

·
Premium Member
09 RT Challenger auto
3,467 Posts
Oil temps usually are always 20 to 30 deg or so above the coolant temp. Oil cooler will give off enough heat in btu to help get or keep oil temps as close to coolant temp as possible especally when running hard, Oil temp will never go below coolant temp. Once motor is to stabilized operating temp.
FT
Best I see it.

·
Premium Member
09 RT Challenger auto
3,467 Posts
At least you driving/enjoying you car. Some are just garage queens. As a CT member told me,,,quote: > what you think its going to be in a museum or smithsoneum insiitute, Drive it. end quote: If a person has the money to put a low number or special edition low or last one made away for 30 years, good for them. Store it. Im going to have all the FUN NOW.
FT

·
Premium Member
137 Posts
2011 SRT8 Dodge Challenger 392 with Manual six speed,

Just today in 60 degree weather in traffic, 215 engine and 235 oil. Seems hot to me but this is how it has been since new.

·
Registered
6,342 Posts
230 is normal. The Thermostat is 195 so the coolant temps routinely run 200-215 and the Oil will run slightly warmer. That's cold for Synthetic.. They don't start to break down thermally well into the 600 degree mark.

·
Registered
326 Posts
ok sorry to hike thread but i have a 09 challenger srt 8 6.1 with a supercharger i run full synthetic also and i notice that when i reaaly get down on it with boost my oil temps can get to 240 degrees is this ok or should i bee thinking of upgrading my oil cooler so the oil temp wont get so hot when getting into boost. thanks i am in houston and it can get very hot in the summer

·
Premium Member
137 Posts
I have now seen 245 oil temp when running hard and it was still cool outside, only about 75 when that temp was observed. Still seems warm. But I am stilll used to watching water and oil temps for non emission engine and I would be really worried if I saw my 73 340 with temps like that, same temperature outside would have my 340 running 180 water and 195 oil at the highest.

·
Premium Member
1,949 Posts
The oil cooler on the 392 is pretty much worthless in my opinion. My Oil runs 20-35 degrees hotter then the coolant temps. While that is perfectly fine for Synthetics, I would rather have an air to oil cooler mounted front of the engine like on my SRT10 where the oil was never hotter then 215 degrees and usually ran around 205 degrees.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts