Dodge Challenger Forum banner

21 - 40 of 68 Posts

·
Premium Member
The Pork Wagon (‘14 Cop Charger)
6,869 Posts
Spent the past two morning swapping a fresh manifold, injectors, and then all the swap wiring. Did I need two days? No. But sunny cold weather taking my time, and doing a clean install was more important

Poking around doing research, people claim the 5.7 injectors are fine. I just kept the 6.4 ones and installed them with the manifold, and i have to say she actually idles smoother..maybe my high mileage made my original ones a little dirty and rough, but getting her street tuned later this week to adapt to the injectors. All good so far
I was surprised to see the heads this dirty, put new gaskets about 10k miles ago and i don’t remember the runners being that filthy...92K miles builds up i guess. Spent the better part of 2 hours cleaning the runners with some brake cleaner on a rag and a vaccuum, while sealing up the ports with paper towels
Manifold drops in nice and easy, catch can setup is a tad wonky until some new lines comes in. MSD sits nicely I used an existing hole on the fender wall, took a 8-32 rivnut and a button head screw, drilled a few more to match for the relay.
Followed factory harness to keep the look clean, used info all found here on the forum. Did not need the cirkit boss, however if you dont already have an assortment of wire, terminal ends, and butt connectors then i guess their product comes more “complete” but having some at my disposal, the leash electronics relay bus worked great and for only $20 vs $90 for the cirkit boss

All in all, a GREAT mod, instant gains she pulls all the way to redline now instead of falling on its face after 4500 rpm... definitely noticeable torque down low too.
Once you modify your tune to take advantage of this mod, you should really feel a difference.

One question about the hardware: what function does the MSD box serve?

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Once you modify your tune to take advantage of this mod, you should really feel a difference.

One question about the hardware: what function does the MSD box serve?
Its original purpose is to activate nitrous i believe at your desired RPM. But it just sends a signal based on rpm (or other inputs, there were a couple wires not used) to the active runner motor replicating a factory wiring harness. Since my vehicle doesnt have this option

·
Premium Member
6,869 Posts
Its original purpose is to activate nitrous i believe at your desired RPM. But it just sends a signal based on rpm (or other inputs, there were a couple wires not used) to the active runner motor replicating a factory wiring harness. Since my vehicle doesnt have this option
So does it have an interface available to the user, or is there any way to access its settings (trip parameter, inputs, etc) to either just view their values or even make changes to them?

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
So does it have an interface available to the user, or is there any way to access its settings (trip parameter, inputs, etc) to either just view their values or even make changes to them?

You just manually set the ROM when to open, close, and the mode. Set and forget. Simple enough

·
Premium Member
6,869 Posts

You just manually set the ROM when to open, close, and the mode. Set and forget. Simple enough
well that sounds positively boring! ?

Why can’t we fiddle with more of the innards?!?

What are they trying to hide??

It Must be something good...like a secret extra 50 HP you get after paying more $$ for the unlock key. ?

I better get me one to take apart and see for myself! ?

Reactions: trippytro

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
well that sounds positively boring!

Why can’t we fiddle with more of the innards?!?

What are they trying to hide??

It Must be something good...like a secret extra 50 HP you get after paying more $$ for the unlock key.

I better get me one to take apart and see for myself!
I wish that was the case still got positively gapped by a stock 392 last night lol.

I got all the parts for sub $400 for the swap and did the labor myself

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
8,353 Posts
Slap on a supercharger and cam for good measure and that gap goes the other way. :) I guess having a big vinyl stripe with RT at one end seems to compel people to want to overtake me whenever they get a chance. :unsure: Yes for the money I could have started off with a Scat from the get go but the look on peoples faces when they are expecting an easy kill but don't get it is priceless. Also usually ends up with a cool conversation at the next light.

·
Premium Member
841 Posts
I still wonder if the SRV can be enabled in the tune and wiring harness to tapped into the PCM? I mean the 5.7 RAMS run SRV don't they...although not sure if they also run the GPEC or NGC4 controllers? I mean that is how the RAMs make the extra ponies at higher RPMs.

Table to enable SRV operation in HP tuners.

View attachment 984119

PCM wiring

View attachment 984121
View attachment 984120
It would be nice to be able to just run in like that. I wonder if there is a difference with the ECU's for the cars that come equiped? I would think to save on production costs they would all have it for all. It would be nice to confirm.

While on the tuning topic... Is there a way to access the Traction Control? My wife picked up a Ram, I decided to see what all it could do after the break-in. In the process I had it sideways with the TC off but after a few seconds it still cut the power. Not sure if there is an issue or if that is how it's tuned.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
8,353 Posts
I believe the controllers are the same but they run a different calibration. As for TC, if you change one of the flags for engine types to a different displacement it apparently turns off ESP...although on challengers it does not seem to work but might on Rams.

You can remove a fair chunk of TC from the tune but I think ESP is still unaffected.

My problem with the challenger is if I go sideways I can feel ESP fighting me. Only way around it is to use Tazer to defeat all ESP (have it programmed on one of the Aux buttons on the steering wheel) which also turns off ABS.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
8,353 Posts
So I looked up a 2015 Ram stock tune and sure enough SRV is equipped. Now the PCM is a different part number but that could be due to the fact that the calibration (tune) is different. I am really beginning to think that tapping the wire harness of the 6.4 manifold into the PCM (if you can get the correct pins to fit in the PCM connector) should work. I have yet to see anyone successfully try this though. If I did not go supercharged I would have given this a go.

·
Premium Member
841 Posts
So I looked up a 2015 Ram stock tune and sure enough SRV is equipped. Now the PCM is a different part number but that could be due to the fact that the calibration (tune) is different. I am really beginning to think that tapping the wire harness of the 6.4 manifold into the PCM (if you can get the correct pins to fit in the PCM connector) should work. I have yet to see anyone successfully try this though. If I did not go supercharged I would have given this a go.
View attachment 984314
I believe the controllers are the same but they run a different calibration. As for TC, if you change one of the flags for engine types to a different displacement it apparently turns off ESP...although on challengers it does not seem to work but might on Rams.

You can remove a fair chunk of TC from the tune but I think ESP is still unaffected.

My problem with the challenger is if I go sideways I can feel ESP fighting me. Only way around it is to use Tazer to defeat all ESP (have it programmed on one of the Aux buttons on the steering wheel) which also turns off ABS.
Josh with HHP was able to remove it completely with my tune. Maybe there is a bug with HP Tuners that needs to be fixed. I heard with the Diablo software they had to work out quite a few issues along the way. May not hurt to give support call!? just a thought.

·
Registered
15 Posts

Spent the past two morning swapping a fresh manifold, injectors, and then all the swap wiring. Did I need two days? No. But sunny cold weather taking my time, and doing a clean install was more important

Poking around doing research, people claim the 5.7 injectors are fine. I just kept the 6.4 ones and installed them with the manifold, and i have to say she actually idles smoother..maybe my high mileage made my original ones a little dirty and rough, but getting her street tuned later this week to adapt to the injectors. All good so far

I was surprised to see the heads this dirty, put new gaskets about 10k miles ago and i don’t remember the runners being that filthy...92K miles builds up i guess. Spent the better part of 2 hours cleaning the runners with some brake cleaner on a rag and a vaccuum, while sealing up the ports with paper towels

Manifold drops in nice and easy, catch can setup is a tad wonky until some new lines comes in. MSD sits nicely I used an existing hole on the fender wall, took a 8-32 rivnut and a button head screw, drilled a few more to match for the relay.

Followed factory harness to keep the look clean, used info all found here on the forum. Did not need the cirkit boss, however if you dont already have an assortment of wire, terminal ends, and butt connectors then i guess their product comes more “complete” but having some at my disposal, the leash electronics relay bus worked great and for only $20 vs $90 for the cirkit boss

All in all, a GREAT mod, instant gains she pulls all the way to redline now instead of falling on its face after 4500 rpm... definitely noticeable torque down low too.
Hi! Great job, very neat install!
I’m in the process of swap to the 392 intake and gathering the parts. I see you used the more affordable option, Leash Single 70amp Relay module. Since I’m kind of new on the wiring task, what Fuse did you use for this application? Also, Could you share the wiring diagram to put all together?
Trying to follow your great job. ?
Really appreciate your help.
Thanks!

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #33 (Edited)
Hi! Great job, very neat install!
I’m in the process of swap to the 392 intake and gathering the parts. I see you used the more affordable option, Leash Single 70amp Relay module. Since I’m kind of new on the wiring task, what Fuse did you use for this application? Also, Could you share the wiring diagram to put all together?
Trying to follow your great job.
Really appreciate your help.
Thanks!
Thank you!

The leash actually came with its own J-Case style fuse. I wrote out a wiring diagram to help me i can dig up later.

Actually, the MSD comes with a few different wiring diagrams that make it very simple in the instructions. Ill share what i got when i make it to the garage tonight

Nvm right here lol

·
Registered
15 Posts
Nice! Now I’m ready to do it!!

Thank you!

The leash actually came with its own J-Case style fuse. I wrote out a wiring diagram to help me i can dig up later.

Actually, the MSD comes with a few different wiring diagrams that make it very simple in the instructions. Ill share what i got when i make it to the garage tonight

Nvm right here lol

Nice! Seems very simple. I’m ready to tackle this one... ordering the Leash Eletrônico tonight.

Thanks a lot for sharing! ????

Keep posted once I’m doing it. Still on porting the 392 intake.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Thank you!

Nvm right here lol

Quick question: the IN power for the module is “from power post”. What fuse# from the main box did you use to connect?
I have this pic from another guy but not sure fuse # for it.

·
Premium Member
6,869 Posts
Thank you!

Nvm right here lol

Did you do that drawing yourself? I only ask because it’s clear the person who wrote that is either a fledgling (or possibly full-fledged) serial killer, and so if the author was a companion of yours, you’ll want to call the FBI immediately.

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Quick question: the IN power for the module is “from power post”. What fuse# from the main box did you use to connect?
I have this pic from another guy but not sure fuse # for it.
View attachment 987796
I went off the power steering fuse. Forgot which number, that i will have to snap a pic later for you but there were only 4 that come on with the acc power

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Did you do that drawing yourself? I only ask because it’s clear the person who wrote that is either a fledgling (or possibly full-fledged) serial killer, and so if the author was a companion of yours, you’ll want to call the FBI immediately.
ill be sure to contact the appropriate authorities

21 - 40 of 68 Posts