Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With all of you guys doing a 392 intake swap on your 5.7l HEMI..
What is the reason of going with 392 Intake instead of Durango/Grand Cherokee 5.7l Intake?

Both of these intakes have Active Runners..

·
Registered
637 Posts
If they are the same as the truck intake the reason will be the placement of the TB. With the 392 intake you can purchase the 392 air duct and it fits with the air cleaner. Also the emmisions lines and fuel rails fit.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think the TB in Durango/GC is positioned in the same place as 5.7-equiped cars..
The only difference the big box that comes from factory between the filter and TB on Durango/GC..

·
Registered
http://www.dragtimes
1,899 Posts
I wonder why none of the engine builders use a 6.4 intake. Hmm.
May have been the variable intake runner system and the ability at the time to program for it. Lots of pre '11 5.7s with 6.1 intakes because of that. Your inquiry does make sense to me. Since Feb. ' 12 certain tuners have had the ability to do the 11s and 12s and now the 13s. I can understand it for intake mounted SCs but NA'd 5.7s, seems logical if the gains are there. I think the newer 5.7 heads flow enough to benefit.

·
Registered
637 Posts
I wonder why none of the engine builders use a 6.4 intake. Hmm.
I wonder why the SRT engineers put it on the 6.4, and trucks that produce more torque. Hmm.

I spoke with one vendor about it and he complemented me on it and felt economics was the factory reason not to have it on the more common 5.7 non SRT cars. One thing we know about some SRT owners is they like to feel special just look at all the negitive press the scat packs recieved.

Yes way more intake volume, the 5.7 looks similar but on the back side it has a huge intrusion that takes up a lot of volume.

Honestly a lot of guys put the 6.1 intake on 5.7's and the builders/vendors touted a 7 to 10 hp increase. Now the 6.4 gives two additional improvements, heat transfer and a switchable runner.

In the spring I will have some track times for all. I dont feel a dyno is warrented on this mod from a dollar standpoint as you can do this swap with a used intake and msd switch for less than $400. No reason to lie here, if it didnt give a noticeable improvement and rid the dead spot just below 4k rpm I would have kept my opinion to myself and scraped the set up.

If everyone wants to play keyboard engine builder and not step up and try new things then we as a community we wont get far. I have been building cars for 25 years and know that sometimes it works out and sometimes it doesnt, but in the end you learn something from your own expierence.

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
I wonder why the SRT engineers put it on the 6.4, and trucks that produce more torque. Hmm.

I spoke with one vendor about it and he complemented me on it and felt economics was the factory reason not to have it on the more common 5.7 non SRT cars. One thing we know about some SRT owners is they like to feel special just look at all the negitive press the scat packs recieved.

Yes way more intake volume, the 5.7 looks similar but on the back side it has a huge intrusion that takes up a lot of volume.

Honestly a lot of guys put the 6.1 intake on 5.7's and the builders/vendors touted a 7 to 10 hp increase. Now the 6.4 gives two additional improvements, heat transfer and a switchable runner.

In the spring I will have some track times for all. I dont feel a dyno is warrented on this mod from a dollar standpoint as you can do this swap with a used intake and msd switch for less than $400. No reason to lie here, if it didnt give a noticeable improvement and rid the dead spot just below 4k rpm I would have kept my opinion to myself and scraped the set up.

If everyone wants to play keyboard engine builder and not step up and try new things the us as a community we wont get far. I have been building cars for 25 years and know that sometimes it works out and sometimes it doesnt, but in the end you learn something from your own expierence.
Good to know that the new 5.7 heads benefit from the larger runners. A local CT member is pondering it too.
Glad to see the 2011+ ECU programming capability is paying off. Prior, the 6.1 manifold was the only option unless you used a switch.
Did you use the 392 injectors or did you keep the 5.7s?
He already has a larger TB, CAI, Stat, Catback and LTs and he is an A5 so low end loss is critical. Did you lose any bottom end TQ (1.5K RPM - 2.5K RPM)? Being an auto, he can't afford to ruin the street manners by loosing tq in the street driving range.

392 people negative about the Scat Pack? Why would they? Anytime you can get more factory warranted HP it helps the Challenger name. I hope it happens as it should get a lot of warranty concerned people crossing over to the mod world. Granted there will always be better after market components for less but this should be a win win for the warranty concerned.

·
Registered
485 Posts

If everyone wants to play keyboard engine builder and not step up and try new things then we as a community we wont get far. I have been building cars for 25 years and know that sometimes it works out and sometimes it doesnt, but in the end you learn something from your own expierence.
It is obvious why the factory uses this intake. It helps low rpm torque and tip in feel, it is plastic and probably less expensive to produce, etc.

While I tip my hat to you for trying this mod, I cannot help but notice and wonder why a ported 6.1 manifold remains the choice of engine builders? They certainly have access to other options.

Keep us posted, sounds like you like the results thus far!

·
Registered
6,341 Posts
I cannot help but notice and wonder why a ported 6.1 manifold remains the choice of engine builders?
Why would an engine builder use the 6.1 intake and not the 6.4? Simple.. The 6.4 is an active intake and there
is no documented bolt on solution to "control" the active 6.4 intake and most builders are just that, "Builders" not
developers.. So they go with what's documented and what works. It's the aftermarket that takes the chance to
develop and prove parts. In the case of the 6.4 intake, an RPM driven controller would need to be used. As I have
said time and time again, this could easily be accomplished with something as simple as an RPM Window Switch.

But, then you don't have a variable cam to accompany the variable intake.. So really, you need a VVT Cam that
is tailer to a broad RPM band like the intake is.

The 6.4 intake is better than the 6.1 intake in two areas, heat soak and usable RPM band. But you just can't
throw it on any engine and make use of it.

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
do the '11+ 5.7 challenger intakes have the variable runner system or is that what the Rams have? Wonder if the stock ECU would even know if it was a 6.4L intake if they have the same intake runner system.
Is a M6 manifold the same as an A5 manifold (MDS)?

·
Super Moderator
15,363 Posts
do the '11+ 5.7 challenger intakes have the variable runner system or is that what the Rams have? Wonder if the stock ECU would even know if it was a 6.4L intake if they have the same intake runner system.
Is a M6 manifold the same as an A5 manifold (MDS)?
The manifolds for either engine are the same, regardless of transmission.

The pass. car 5.7 intake isn't an active intake such as the Ram has - not enough space and the Ram intake TB is top mount vs. front mount in the cars.

Like earlier posts in the thread, the 6.4 active intake was developed to give better low and mid rpm response (long runner path) and it switches to short runner mode for higher rpm breathing.

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
The manifolds for either engine are the same, regardless of transmission.

The pass. car 5.7 intake isn't an active intake such as the Ram has - not enough space and the Ram intake TB is top mount vs. front mount in the cars.

Like earlier posts in the thread, the 6.4 active intake was developed to give better low and mid rpm response (long runner path) and it switches to short runner mode for higher rpm breathing.
Thanks, just wanted to know about the 5.7s. I'm very familiar with the 6.4 active intake on the 392s, just needed a 5.7 education. So any car or jeep 5.7 would need a controller/switch to switch the runners at 4500ish RPMs and a tune to bring out max, permanent improvements. The Rams can't use the 6.4 intake because of TB location/type. Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
53 Posts
i Have a 6.4 srv intake on mine now....helped with low end as well.....I sent mine to AMP where Jon there is a mastermind of our computers....He said tried EVERYTHING to get my PCM to control my srv.... he even flashed my pcm like a Ram to make it talk to it....There is something he said that the RAM has in the computer and physically that can not be added to our cars to make work...some sensor of some sort....Trust me i left my car for months to test and make it work.....What we did find out is that a MSD certain RPM switch does work, but it dips a bit when activated..... and for that i aborted....but @5900-6200 it just levels off, i'm guessing due to me being in Long Runner mode...so before this month ends i intend on having it working and in February is my club's dyno day on same dyno i used before VVT cam and heads upgrade.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts