Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
867 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know if this has already been posted but I just got back from the SF6.
Magnuson had a Maggie on top of a new 392. They said the kit should be ready for sale in two months. They have software already to tune it and they said it makes 510 rwhp to the wheels.

It's still the 2.3L unit. It looks great on the car. Good job for Magnuson for becoming the first I've seen with this mod on the 392. I would of expected 590 rwhp though.

I also saw the edelbrock SC , 4 to 5 lb boost and man was it ugly. They weren't sure when it would be ready for production they were still testing. This was for the 6.1. They should take that ugly cover off.

·
Premium Member
1,949 Posts
Did the maggie guys say how much boost? Going to be hard to run much with how high the compression is on the 392

·
Registered
3,733 Posts
Balls of steel to run boost on the new 392. 10.8 compression and cast pistons with shallow ring lands plus boost is just plain not good. It will work for a while but I think with a few miles on it like that and problems will start to occur with the pistons. Even with a perfect tune its just so much pressure on the piston that it cant handle.

·
Banned
664 Posts
I don't know if this has already been posted but I just got back from the SF6.
Magnuson had a Maggie on top of a new 392. They said the kit should be ready for sale in two months. They have software already to tune it and they said it makes 510 rwhp to the wheels.

It's still the 2.3L unit. It looks great on the car. Good job for Magnuson for becoming the first I've seen with this mod on the 392. I would of expected 590 rwhp though.

I also saw the edelbrock SC , 4 to 5 lb boost and man was it ugly. They weren't sure when it would be ready for production they were still testing. This was for the 6.1. They should take that ugly cover off.
While I would not have expected a 170hp increase to 590 rwhp, I would have expected the normal 120 hp increase they are known for. I too wonder how low the boost is to run it on the 392? Did you happen to get any pictures?

·
Premium Member
867 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Did the maggie guys say how much boost? Going to be hard to run much with how high the compression is on the 392
6 lbs, they were pretty proud that they were able to tune it with some proprietary software.

·
Registered
175 Posts
The car base lined at 390 RWHP on our dyno....We are not shooting for the moon or planning on breaking anything on this car, it is truly a work of art.

I expect 510-520 SAFE RWHP.

·
Premium Member
867 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The car base lined at 390 RWHP on our dyno....We are not shooting for the moon or planning on breaking anything on this car, it is truly a work of art.

Good job Brian , It looked great on the car. I assume the carb cert will be good on the 392.

·
Registered
135 Posts

How many lbs of boost was that on? I have to imagine that with the proper calibration this motor will make around 27 RWHP per lb of boost plus or minus a touch?? That was a really weak start of 390 rwhp compared to a few other cars that have been reported so far. Thanks for the insight on your companies work so far.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Good job Brian , It looked great on the car. I assume the carb cert will be good on the 392.
Yes it will :) Just need to update it.

How many lbs of boost was that on? I have to imagine that with the proper calibration this motor will make around 27 RWHP per lb of boost plus or minus a touch?? That was a really weak start of 390 rwhp compared to a few other cars that have been reported so far. Thanks for the insight on your companies work so far.
Dynos are measuring tools, 390 RWHP or 425 RWHP, the gain will still be the same.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Yes it will :) Just need to update it.

Dynos are measuring tools, 390 RWHP or 425 RWHP, the gain will still be the same.
Im very aware that dynos are measuring tools. The question was how many lbs of boost was that with. Im guessing somewhere between 4 and 5 but I dont like to assume. I would expect that a conservative kit would produce between 140 and 160 RWHP.

·
Banned
664 Posts

That sounds great around the normal 120 additional HP. When will the kit for the 392 be ready?

·
Registered
135 Posts
That sounds great around the normal 120 additional HP. When will the kit for the 392 be ready?
Sir I dont think 120 HP for a 6.4 liter engine is what we can call normal. On the 6.1 normal with no other mods and a Kenne Bell unit at 8 psi you would see upwards of 175 RWHP gains. IMHO there is no reason to see less than 140 RWHP gains for this motor with about 6.5 psi of boost without any other mods and that would be safe even with a 10.9 CR. I have supercharged and turbo charged alot of engines and this is not an unreasonable expectation. We will see soon enough

·
Premium Member
11,158 Posts
Sir I dont think 120 HP for a 6.4 liter engine is what we can call normal. On the 6.1 normal with no other mods and a Kenne Bell unit at 8 psi you would see upwards of 175 RWHP gains. IMHO there is no reason to see less than 140 RWHP gains for this motor with about 6.5 psi of boost without any other mods and that would be safe even with a 10.9 CR. I have supercharged and turbo charged alot of engines and this is not an unreasonable expectation. We will see soon enough
120 rwhp gains is pretty normal for the email tunes that come with S/Cs. I believe the numbers you are talking about are the ones that are custom tuned on a dyno. Which always seen more than an email tune. Email tunes are safe and conservative.

·
Registered
135 Posts
120 rwhp gains is pretty normal for the email tunes that come with S/Cs. I believe the numbers you are talking about are the ones that are custom tuned on a dyno. Which always seen more than an email tune. Email tunes are safe and conservative.
Oh definitely a custom calibration I couldnt see doing it any other way. And any custom calibration I have had done has been very safe. I havent popped a piston yet.

·
Banned
4,698 Posts
Great looking! Nice job getting one up and running safely and without CMR tuning so quickly. Haven't seen anyone else do that...

HemiSam

·
Premium Member
4,384 Posts
nice to see a Maggie on the right compression Engine, bet that one runs down the track fast.
I think all the Maggies should be at least a 10.5 compression engine.
Plenty of low compression Maggies out there that can't get out of there own way.

·
Premium Member
4,384 Posts
who's e-mail tunes are you refering to? not all e-mail tunes are created equal.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts