Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have only seen auto trans times posted so far, so here is the first 392 IE with manual trans times. It is still completely stock. I was happy to see my 60 foot times under 2. Normal launch of car under 1500 rpm. ESP button held in to turn off. Stock F1s with 35 pounds of nitrogen (did not want to deal with refilling).

There was a new Camaro SS running. He had an auto trans, cai, exhaust, hp tuner and drag radials. He ran a 12.2 at 108 mph with a 1.8 sixty foot time. I can't wait to see what the 392 autos run with those same mods.

1.933 60 ft
8.320 1/8 @ 87.87 mph
12.769 1/4 @ 113.35 mph
Alabama International Dragway
Steele, Alabama
5:27 pm on May 16 - for those to figure out DA!

Attachments

·
Registered
419 Posts
I have only seen auto trans times posted so far, so here is the first 392 IE with manual trans times. It is still completely stock. I was happy to see my 60 foot times under 2. Normal launch of car under 1500 rpm. ESP button held in to turn off. Stock F1s with 35 pounds of nitrogen (did not want to deal with refilling).

There was a new Camaro SS running. He had an auto trans, cai, exhaust, hp tuner and drag radials. He ran a 12.2 at 108 mph with a 1.8 sixty foot time. I can't wait to see what the 392 autos run with those same mods.

1.933 60 ft
8.320 1/8 @ 87.87 mph
12.769 1/4 @ 113.35 mph
Steele, Alabama
From Dragtimes (DA Calculator - Density Altitude Calculator - DragTimes.com PM) the DA was around 907 ft.

Pretty damn good 60' for street tires esp with a manual. You still have quite a bit of ET to get out of the car... something to look forward to! Congrats!

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
We're having an A5 vs. M6 discussion in the General section. 12.7x is exactly what I predicted for the M6. It has an overall gearing advantage over the A5, but it loses on the holeshot and by shifting 3X. A clutch dump at 4000, drag radials, and power shifting will put you right at 12.3x but is abusive and expect to break parts.

Kick a$$ runs for a stock M6 on F1s - nicely done.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
My guess would be 11.80 @ 115 for a 392 auto with those mods and a canned tune. A CMR tune will do even better.

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
Where are the guys who said that these cars would struggle to run 12s based on the initial times the magazines were running? Strong time and an excellent mph! :) 113 is an easy 12.30s - 12.40s with a good 60'. The 6 speed guys need to go get DRs and I bet you, you could probably pull off a high 12.20.

·
Registered
355 Posts

1.933 60 ft
8.320 1/8 @ 87.87 mph
12.769 1/4 @ 113.35 mph
Steele, Alabama
Congrats,
Very awesome to see your time on a manual car, especially that your 60' was sub 2 seconds. With some practice and with a better DA it shows even these cars are capable of mid 12's bone stock.

·
Premium Member
899 Posts
Great runs for your first time!!! Good too see the the stick 392 in ok air is already beating stock 6.1 auto's!

More than anything guys, look his consistency!! LOL....that is remarkable for the first couple runs of the year!!

Get some DR's, and dont be scared to run that pig hard!! Remember....this tranny is in the Corvette ZR1, Viper's, Shelby King Snake, Camaro....blah blah....not too mention this is the same clutch as used in the viper.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
The car mags always seem to fail at drag racing these things. I think they forgot how to drag race muscle cars.
I am a believer in mid 12's for these 392 beasts.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts

·
Premium Member
899 Posts
And the diff parts were hardened for the 392 application too. My primary concern is the CVs and half shafts. Don't want to leave those on the track with a hard launch. I wonder if those parts were upgraded for the 392 also....

This post from an SRT engineer is certainly confidence inspiring. Lx Forums | Dodge Charger Challenger Magnum | SRT8 | Chrysler 300 Forum - View Single Post - SRT Engineers Roundtable: 01/26/11
From My understanding....the halfshafts are of higher quality then 2010 and prior cars...I am not 100%, but it is something I have heard numerous times.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
From My understanding....the halfshafts are of higher quality then 2010 and prior cars...I am not 100%, but it is something I have heard numerous times.
With 50-90 lb-ft more TQ being generated, one would hope. Sounds like they thrashed the M6 pretty good with 600 pounds in the trunk and 4500 RPM launches.

Also interesting to note the F1s were quicker than the Nitto 275/40 they tried on the M6. Must have been really good track prep.....

·
Banned
1,992 Posts
A mostly stock auto camaro running 12.2 with drag radials, and mediocre D/A? From what I've seen of Camaro times sounds a little bit fishy. Like there might be more in terms of mods than he's telling. A guy at CF2 was running high 12s with a supercharged Camaro. And the auto Camaro was running 13.4-13.5 or so as I recall.

·
Registered
455 Posts
A mostly stock auto camaro running 12.2 with drag radials, and mediocre D/A? From what I've seen of Camaro times sounds a little bit fishy. Like there might be more in terms of mods than he's telling. A guy at CF2 was running high 12s with a supercharged Camaro. And the auto Camaro was running 13.4-13.5 or so as I recall.
I've seen stock Gen5 Camaros 6M run 12.9-13.1 at my local track.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
I agree. Most auto SS Camaros are running low-mid 13's. Picking up over 1 second with a tuner, CAI, and exhaust is really pushing it. Usually more like 0.5 sec with these mods. Might have heads, cam, LTs, or maybe a little NOS shot.

His trap speed of 108 would be more appropriate for a 12.90 pass. A 12.20 pass with a 108 trap suggests he might have let-off before crossing. Usually a 12.20 pass is trapping at more like 116-117.

If that car shows again at the track, take a little closer look under the hood and listen to the engine running. I think the driver was pulling your leg a little.... :liar: I see it all the time at the track. Some guys race for big $$ and deliberately spread misinformation about their cars.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The SS guy says he goes to the track every few weeks. I will definitely see him there again. He kept to himself and always parked far away from everyone else. I approached him to talk. The hood was never opened on his car. I did hear it run, did not let off at the end of the track. Saw him run four times and all were either 12.2 or 12.3. I could only think that he may have had NOS. Could have also had heads and LTs, but if he had a cam it acted like a stock one. No lope at all to the car, very quiet at idle but very loud at WOT. I had never seen a new SS run at the track before, so I was shocked to see that low of an ET. That is why I had to hunt him down to talk. MPH was also low to me for that time. That is why I posted to get everyone's feedback!

·
Banned
1,992 Posts
Yeah, the mph is low for the kind of HP he'd have to be making to run that time in that D-A.

I'm thinking NOS. I didn't think of that until someone else mentioned it. He gave it a shot early on and turned it off not to be too suspicious. Would like to see his time slip. I'd take his 1/8th mile time/speed and enter it into one of those online calculators to estimate 1/4 mile time and trap speed. If he juiced early, and let it off, the drag calculator would estimate a much lower 1/4 mile time and higher trap speed than what he actually ran.

1 - 20 of 77 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.