Dodge Challenger Forum banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Scat Pack SHAKER in Plum Crazy
1,429 Posts
The problem with those 8-6-4 wasn't the deactivation tech, it was the fuel tech at the time, and the fact that in 8 cyl mode it was barely adequately powered.

·
Premium Member
2,268 Posts
The problem with those 8-6-4 wasn't the deactivation tech, it was the fuel tech at the time, and the fact that in 8 cyl mode it was barely adequately powered.
This was 1981, the worst decade for horse power(in the modern scheme of things). At least they gave it the boot after one year of trying. It was an out of the box concept though, I have to give credit for that.

·
Super Moderator
15,088 Posts
Cadillac used these mechanical solenoids (through the valve rocker cover) that deactivated the rocker.

The processor (this was very early electronics of 1981) didn't work effectively to make those transitions from 8 to 6 to 4 cylinder operation (depending on load / demand on engine) and it would tend to "hang" and not revert back 8 cylinders when the driver needed it, adding to driveability issues.

The other part is 140hp (yes that low) pulling around full size Cadillacs...by comparison many N.A. 4 cylinder engines today outdo what that 6.0 liter Caddy V8 could put out.

Imagine it chugging in 4 cyl mode and pressing on the throttle and it doesn't change back into 8 cyl mode. That thing would have fallen on its face!

·
Registered
433 Posts
To the OP, I recently went back to the 392 from the 5.7L, your description in your original post about MDS is both accurate & normal. The 392 will not engage MDS nearly as often, that's the intended strategy in street mode.

If you put the 392 in ECO mode it'll behave a lot more more like the 5.7 and engage (over-engage, in my opinion) MDS. If you like the associated exhaust drone ;)

·
Registered
130 Posts
srobinson, that car is freaking beautiful.
That is all.

·
Registered
9,313 Posts
It shows on the DID. You have to toggle to the MPG gage, and in the center of the gage is where it will display when it's active.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
15,730 Posts

A Guy

·
Registered
323 Posts
Hey guys, Im new here and just made the jump from a 2017 R/T 5.7 to a 2018 R/T scatpak 392, both of which have MDS. What I noticed and am concerned about is that the 5.7 was much more MDS friendly, in the sense that it would engage as soon as it could and stay on for as long as possible. The 392 on the other hand rarely ever engages MDS, even when it does, all it takes is the slightest press on the throttle to disengage it. I know MDS isn’t a desirable feature for most people here, but I use my car as a daily driver and can benefit from even the smallest gains in fuel economy. My questions are:

1) Is this a sign of the MDS failing or is it normal?

2) How should I look out for now that I own a 392? (What are some common failures and problems with the engine or trans)

3) I’ve read on many places that the 6.4L is much more reliable compared to the 5.7L, is this true?

My vehicle is a salvage but was repaired to factory specs, it has 15K miles on it. Thank you!!
I have owned a 15 R/T and then a 16 scat. Mine did the same thing. I did not like the MDS kicking in
so easily on the 5.7. So I kept it in sport most of the time. I would let both motors engage the MDS
when on the interstate though.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hey guys, Im new here and just made the jump from a 2017 R/T 5.7 to a 2018 R/T scatpak 392, both of which have MDS. What I noticed and am concerned about is that the 5.7 was much more MDS friendly, in the sense that it would engage as soon as it could and stay on for as long as possible. The 392 on the other hand rarely ever engages MDS, even when it does, all it takes is the slightest press on the throttle to disengage it. I know MDS isn’t a desirable feature for most people here, but I use my car as a daily driver and can benefit from even the smallest gains in fuel economy. My questions are:

1) Is this a sign of the MDS failing or is it normal?

2) How should I look out for now that I own a 392? (What are some common failures and problems with the engine or trans)

3) I’ve read on many places that the 6.4L is much more reliable compared to the 5.7L, is this true?

My vehicle is a salvage but was repaired to factory specs, it has 15K miles on it. Thank you!!
My first three challengers didn't have MDS. When I traded my 17 R/T for a 18 Scat Pack I hardly noticed any difference when it went in and out of MDS, but when I traded my 17 SXT for a leftover 18 R/T, I was appalled at the amount of noise and vibration that occurred when it went into 4 cyl. mode. I was told that this was normal but discovered that I could run in sport mode and use the shifter manually and still keep the revs. down. If I want to be sporty I just slap the shifter back to into auto.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I'm over MDS.
I started feeling like I had a misfire. I threw a fuel-to-air ratio imbalance error. Lifter wiped out my cam and it's currently being replaced hopefully under warranty. If I was to keep the car long term, I would do an MDS delete and upgrade at the same time.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I ordered my first R/T with the six speed and really loved the car but my old worn knee's couldn't handle the clutch any more so I'm afraid I'm stuck with an automatic with MDS. Hope your repairs are covered under warranty and good luck with that.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts