Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
When I bought my R/T I had to do some mods just to make it Challenger worthy. It was a classic so I didn't gave to too much for the appearance.

What I did...
Corsa sport cutbacks because it was too quiet.
KN air CAI to make more hp and for sound.
Sequential taillights for the old school thing.

Was planning to do to it...
Goat head removal.
Lowered suspension.
Brembos.
Tuner mod chip thingy....

But now I have my new GWE SRT8 auto and seems that the stock exhaust is so bitchin sounding I don't need any there.... The CAI seems wide enough and the sound from the headers is Challenger worthy stock. Plenty HP ( of course more is always good). It's been lowered already.

So now I find myself wondering what I can do to this car to make it look better or to add some bolt on hp for now till they get superchargers good and tested or if Dodge will make one soon for the 392 etc etc....

But I cannot for the life of me seem to think of anything I could possibly do to this already fine, bitchin sounding, outright fast, fully loaded, head turning, goat head missing, beast of a Challenger that I just bought to make it look or perform better.

Besides mud flaps and tinted windows and most likely a shaker hood (but that has to wait for the supercharger dilemma to unfold) I was hoping that I could get some inspiration from some of y'all that have done things to your 392 SRT8 already or plan to do that would be any improvement in the looks or performance departments.

Does the 6.4 SRT8 have any flaws? Or need anything. I just bought it yesterday and was thinking of calling the doctor because I saw on TV that any erection lasting over 4 hours could be very serious and should be looked at immediately by your doctor. Well mine hasn't gone down since I bought this car yet and I'm not thinking very clearly right now. So I need some ideas and discussion.

Thx for your opinions in advance!

·
Registered
2021 Charger SPWB
4,074 Posts
Don't know about the auto, but my 6 spd is just a bit to quiet but they do tend to get louder with break in. I'll probably put a drop in K&N filter at least. $50 isn't to much if I feel there's a few HP to be gained. Already bought the splash guards and locking gas cap.

·
Premium Member
1,949 Posts
My auto needs nothing and I love her. Well I do need new door handles but that is another issue LOL

She sounds great and down right mean when she is opened up. Fast as hell too! I only added a Borla cat back to my srt-10 cause she really did not need anything else. Well the 392 is faster then my Viper truck so... no need to add anything but dress up billet stuff and a catch can!

·
Registered
69 Posts
I want to do the lockpick and rear backup camera, but other than that and other minor updates mine will probably stay stock for a long time. Grats on your GWE, those are head turners for sure!

·
Registered
2014 SRT Core
11,033 Posts
I don't own a 392 yet, but I can't imagine I still wouldn't be looking for ways to pull out a few more ponies. I would think as more bolt on's become available things like long tube headers, larger throttle bodies and custom tunes will become the norm.

·
Registered
329 Posts
RTFAN.....your right! I've been thinking the same thing. I don't know what it needs to improve it. The only thing at this point I can think of is a coolent system modification. The engine temp is a little to hot for my liking.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Hurst Shifter for sure... You have no idea what a difference it makes to the car. Had mine installed on Saturday. Best mod so far. I let Robo5555, who has a Blue IE 392 with 337 miles on it, drive my car after the shifter install and he bought one on the spot. That's how sweet it is. You won't be sorry.

·
Registered
257 Posts
I'm very much with ya on this one RTFan...

have had the pleasure modifying several MoPars over the last 10 years, and this new GWE SRT8 just "almost" doesn't need a thing.... except:

K&N drop in air filter (done)
Tinted windows (done)
splash guards (done today)
Exhaust change (went with Blastin' Bob's glasspack resonator delete.. sounds GREAT)
Front strut tower brace (done)
Interior ambient lighting kit (done)
Sequential taillights (done)
Locking lugnuts (done)

MoPar short throw shifter (on order)
CatchCan Zbracket (coming when they're made)

:bigthumb:

Yup... ALMOST a perfect ride on delivery :)

The BEST THING YOU CAN MOD:

Change the odometer numbers as quickly as possible! ;)

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Don't know about the auto, but my 6 spd is just a bit to quiet but they do tend to get louder with break in. I'll probably put a drop in K&N filter at least. $50 isn't to much if I feel there's a few HP to be gained. Already bought the splash guards and locking gas cap.
Idk what the airflow is on this stock box seems good. Do they make a stock mopar CAI like the ones I could get for the 5.7? I went with the KN for the performance part of it before like 5-7 advertised more with the KN, but I liked the look of the Mopar with the chrome and would have traded someone in a sec for it.

Heh I salvaged my locking gas cap on my old one for sure already before I traded it in.

Thing is about this exhaust is it sounds as good as my Corsa sport I had installed on my RT. But with a much, much quitter drone. The stock RT exhaust system sounded way too quiet for a muscle car so I put the Corsa on it. Does this SRT8 exhaust, is it made my or developed by Corsa or some thing? cuz it sure sounds very similar to what I had on my RT.

·
Registered
6,352 Posts
All I can tell you is what I plan on doing..

392 Catch Can (ordered)
392 Braided Line Kit (ordered)
392 K&N Drop In Filter (ordered)
Custom Carbon Fiber rear SRT8 logo (done)
Hurst Shifter (On the To Do List)
Flowmaster Cat Back (On the To Do List)
Custom Painted Engine Shields (On the To Do List)
Satisfied Pro Ceramic Brake Pads (On the To Do List)
Challenger Door Sill Protectors (On the To Do List)
Diablosport Predator (when available)
Toxic Orange Piping around seude on door pannels (On the To Do List)

I'm sure there are a few things I am forgetting...

·
Registered
3,733 Posts
Only thing im doing to mine is.......................

BT catch can...........done
K&N drop in..............done
Predator..................still waiting
CMR custom tune......waiting on Predator.

There is the list of what im doing to mine.

FOR NOW :)

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
My auto needs nothing and I love her. Well I do need new door handles but that is another issue LOL

She sounds great and down right mean when she is opened up. Fast as hell too! I only added a Borla cat back to my srt-10 cause she really did not need anything else. Well the 392 is faster then my Viper truck so... no need to add anything but dress up billet stuff and a catch can!
Ya I read about the door handle problem beforehand. When the salesman was showing the car the driver door wouldn't work right off the bat his face turned red. I told him about the problem was common and that I didn't really care about it cuz I knew I could get it fixed later when a cure is found. I didn't have that option on my RT so is no biggie not to have it.

Where the best place on net for engine dress up kits? Seems maybe all ahsnt been made in green or orange yet that I've seen so far.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I want to do the lockpick and rear backup camera, but other than that and other minor updates mine will probably stay stock for a long time. Grats on your GWE, those are head turners for sure!
What's lock pick? Does the camera record whats behind you when you are going forward? Could be real fun for utube videos lolz if it does......

Ya man thx on the color thing, I was trying to get a DWB one but because I waited all the IE were pretty much gone. I checked out the green online and wasn't too sure about cuz ive seen some ugly green cars out there, but once I saw it I was like " I could learn to like this color. yeah this is cool" don't look nothing like the pics. And this car changes shades of green every hour or so it seems.

Just not too sure if GWE is a cop magnet color or not. I drove past a HWY patrol speedtrap doing 80 in a 65 and he didn't pull me over so far so good on that one.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I don't own a 392 yet, but I can't imagine I still wouldn't be looking for ways to pull out a few more ponies. I would think as more bolt on's become available things like long tube headers, larger throttle bodies and custom tunes will become the norm.
70barcuda- guess they haven't come out yet....have to wait hope not too long.

Prowler-like just a thermostat?

Genotex-is mopar tower brace or aftermarket?

Also I kept my webelectrics for my 2010 RT did you use webelectrics and did you notice when you ordered if they were the same for the 396?

Toxic11- carbon fiber custom logo for back? What's that look like?

The rims for my car seem really easy to clean with the spacing and the black inside paint. I'm gonna see how bad they end up getting dusty and the maint on them then see if is worth it I guess before I get he ceramic pads.

I never got to install my sill guards on my old RT because I wanted to paint the script on them first so I still got em:)

SRT8tech-any news on when predator will be ready? I think only thing I want first off is MDS gone. One of the biches I had with the RT was the hesitation between my foot and the engine room but I never did get a predator always meant to though.

I'm not too sure I'm digging these glossy black rally stripes. They look all swirly scratched and dust shows up really bad on them. I might have liked if they were not glossy like my RT stripes were.

·
Registered
6,352 Posts
R/T FAN,

Here ya go!

And I removed "Challenger" and "SRT" from the front and replaced those with the stock rear emblem:

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Max is right. The short throw shifter is awesome. What an improvement from stock. No increased ponies on this mod but you save time shifting gears. Less distance to travel.

·
Registered
7,683 Posts
Just not too sure if GWE is a cop magnet color or not. I drove past a HWY patrol speedtrap doing 80 in a 65 and he didn't pull me over so far so good on that one.
Luck F'ing Bastard! :p Don't get too penis'y...with that, cuz your time will come if you keep that up. ;)

When I was driving through TX on I-40 through the "construction zones", I was specifically driving the posted construction zone speed limit, and the cops were still popping out of their foxholes to just to pace me, just to find out my speed was absolutely Kosher. At one point, they were literally crossing the center median to turnaround from their original orientation to start tracking me. It was abso-fricking-diculous...talk about freaking people out to increase the chances of mishap in a construction zone...wtf?! It was probably like 5 troopers that did this over the course of 3 miles (and various cars in an apparent traffic stop every 1 mi, both directions). All I can say is that those guys are friggen psychotic up there with their idea of "patrolling for safety".

·
Super Moderator
15,568 Posts
How about "kill" markings on your fender (like WW II fighter pilots) after you take down all of those pesky Stangs and Camaros at the track? :bigthumb:

Attachments

·
Registered
'16 A8 Scat Pack
11,117 Posts
Well, I'm just a lowly R/TC owner, and based on everyone's comments about the 392, I'm thinking that the only things needed to make it a "better" overall car would be front and back strut tower bracing.

With all that HP, these can only help long term stability of the unibody, and reduce the amount of stress fatigue in key areas.

These 392's seem like "killers"

1 - 20 of 56 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.