Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was hanging a left into my neighborhood yesterday and the car just went dead and the steering wheel locked. Thankfully I turned it enough to cross the road and into my neighborhood, but I had to brake to a full stop leaving me across both lanes. Dropped it back into park then pressed start and it fired back up. Has been fine since.
WTF is this all about? If this happens at cuising speed its a crash waiting to happen. The key fob was in my pocket with a few coins but that's it. Surely the car shouldn't just turn off the engine and engage the steering lock.
Also, the voice from the Nav is messed up to. Volume goes from zero to loud and it has a stutter sometimes. It worked fine until today. Not impressed with the electronics if I have issues already.
Gonna take it back to the dealer and get them to check it out.
Thoughts anyone out there?

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Has not happened to me (yet).

·
Registered
402 Posts
Ah great. Sounds like the dreaded stalling issue - though you're the first 392 I've seen to report it. With previous model years, it generally happens past the 1k mile mark iirc (and the dealer won't find anything wrong). Keep us posted on how it turns out. If yours is the first, it probably won't be the last. May want to bump/join that "Engine Stalling?" thread I linked above.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Oh man, here it goes again. Dodge didn't do anything about this on the previous years, and here it comes again on the 11s.

Search around on the 6.1 forum for the threads on this stalling issue. It's not good.

·
Registered
653 Posts

·
Premium Member
541 Posts
I was hoping this issue was resolved for 2011. I had this happen on both of my 2009's. It's a scary situation when there's traffic approaching from behind.

·
Registered
3,733 Posts
The steering is hard to turn because there is no power assist from the power steering pump when the engine is not running. (only on the 392, 5.7L has electric steering now) There is no steering lock on these cars. And it seems they have not fixed the random stalling issues yet. NICE!!!!!

·
Registered
468 Posts
What is really scary is that it has happened to many of us but the Challenger wasn't even listed. I took my 2009 in for the same problem but they could not duplicate it. Luckly it hasn't happened since. Definetily take it back to the dealer and don't put your family in the car till you take it back. I know there was a thread started on this so check it out to see how many experienced the same issue. I know they didn't replace my module! Whats up Dodge do you have to wait till someone is killed in ther Challenger to get us included in the recall!

·
Registered
675 Posts

·
Registered
675 Posts
What is really scary is that it has happened to many of us but the Challenger wasn't even listed. I took my 2009 in for the same problem but they could not duplicate it. Luckly it hasn't happened since. Definetily take it back to the dealer and don't put your family in the car till you take it back. I know there was a thread started on this so check it out to see how many experienced the same issue. I know they didn't replace my module! Whats up Dodge do you have to wait till someone is killed in ther Challenger to get us included in the recall!

Dude Im like ready to pull the trigger and Im having second thoughts right now as I do drive with my kids in the cars 50% of the time. ugh!!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Dude Im like ready to pull the trigger and Im having second thoughts right now as I do drive with my kids in the cars 50% of the time. ugh!!
I feel the same way, i'm just wondering if I should take back my deposit I put down on the vehicle(IE 392), heard about these horror stories on LXforums. I figured Dodge would have fixed this issue by now because more then a few people reported about it.

·
Registered
675 Posts
I feel the same way, i'm just wondering if I should take back my deposit I put down on the vehicle(IE 392), heard about these horror stories on LXforums. I figured Dodge would have fixed this issue by now because more then a few people reported about it.
Im so F*** torn right now.........

·
Registered
683 Posts
They recalled the vans et al for 32 complaints? Don't get me wrong, I'm glad they did - but I've read more then 32 different people reporting this problem just here and on lxforums, there must be many 100s to whom its happened if you expand the sample set outside people just reporting it happened to them on a car blog. Yet no recalls for that.

·
Registered
402 Posts
They recalled the vans et al for 32 complaints?
Saw that. Odd numbers too. 400+ warranty claims & only 32 complaints? Guessing the NHTSA intervention triggered the recall.

If any of you DO experience this, and the dealer finds nothing wrong, be sure and fill out a complaint with the NHTSA website as stated in the "engine stalling?" thread. I'm guessing that's the only avenue of hope at this point.

Currently, only 7 complaints listed for 2010 under "engine/engine cooling". No time to read all the summaries. Somebody else can do that homework.

·
Registered
43 Posts
This is really disappointing. I held off buying 2010 SRT for this problem as I thought it would be solved in the 2011 Challengers. This is a serious problem as no one likes to drive and be paranoid that his car will shut down at any moment causing an accident.

I really want to buy one but I think I will have to wait for the recall to include challengers as well and see if that will fix the problem. Otherwise, I guess I will have to buy another boring 4-door saloon car :( as this is the only coupe I liked and is in my price range (hate camaros,mustangs and ctv-coupe).

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
great info everyone. I'll report it tomorrow. It has not happened since, but its always in the back of my mind. I'm thinking I'd prefer a good old fashioned key ignition.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts