Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Premium Member
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Muzza blew his supercharged 392 engine and has decided to go with a 426 (racing injectors and the whole 9) from Arrington. I am going to purchase his 392 and a few of us are going to rebuild it and put it into my R/T. Starting this thread to document the rebuild and outcome. Any input is most welcome. Going to go with the 6.4 drop in forged modern muscle pistons for sure, probably rods also but we'll see. Here is an initial look at the damage. We will not really know the whole extent until we pull the motor but i have my fingers crossed it's not tooooo bad.

EDIT for parts needed/used:

392 block honed +010
+010 MAHLE 2618 forged 6.4 drop in Pistons (modern muscle)
new 392 Heads
Cam re-grind - 222/230 221 lsa
Phase Limiter
New Push rods
rod bolts
map sensor
PCV valve
exhaust/head/intake gaskets
oil cooler/radiator hoses
6.1 intake manifold
pinned damper

·
Registered
329 Posts
Nice! Can't wait til see it come along.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Muzza blew his supercharged 392 engine and has decided to go with a 426 (racing injectors and the whole 9) from Arrington. I am going to purchase his 392 and a few of us are going to rebuild it and put it into my R/T. Starting this thread to document the rebuild and outcome. Any input is most welcome. Going to go with the 6.4 drop in forged modern muscle pistons for sure, probably rods also but we'll see. Here is an initial look at the damage. We will not really know the whole extent until we pull the motor but i have my fingers crossed it's not tooooo bad.

>>> what makes the 392 any different then the 5.7 block besides longer stroke and heads any one know? I am just talking about the block it self...

·
Premium Member
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
>>> what makes the 392 any different then the 5.7 block besides longer stroke and heads any one know? I am just talking about the block it self...
Great question. Arrington made Muzza an offer for his block and heads and i am matching it. So i would be interested to know the answer to this too.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
311 Posts

I could be wrong so don't quote me but I believe the block is the same except for the presence of piston oil squirters. Other than that the 6.4 is basically a bored/stroked 5.7 with better heads/cam.

I'm definitely interested to see where the OP's project goes. Subscribed!

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Premium Member
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Anyone know if my 5.7 timing chain cover will fit the 6.4? Also, should i get srt headers and have a bigger diameter exhaust or am i good to use my existing headers/mid pipes/exhaust? One buddy bolted his 5.7 shorties up to his 6.1 with no issues i am guessing it would be the same for a 6.4....?

·
Banned
553 Posts
Damage update....cylinders 1&3:

·
Premium Member
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Some updates. Obviously the pictures above speak a thousand words. Decided to go with some ported 6.4 apache heads instead of muzzas stock heads....and i may have to have a cylinder wall or two machined..no biggie. Also, going with 2613 dropins instead of 4032.

·
Banned
553 Posts

·
Premium Member
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well a couple of updates.

I ended up taking the block and heads to Stu over at inertia motorsports. We are going to have the block honed + .010 and also have the heads milled a little bit. He is also going to regrind a cam for me ( not sure which cam yet ) and he said with that and a tune, i would be picking up a good gain in horsepower over the stock 392. There is something else i have to upgrade to support the cam but i dont remember what it was right now. He gave me an estimate on what he has gotten out of this setup before but i will let the dyno tell the tail.

Should be about 4 weeks before i pick up the long block from him.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts

I ended up taking the block and heads to Stu over at inertia motorsports. We are going to have the block honed + .010 and also have the heads milled a little bit. He is also going to regrind a cam for me ( not sure which cam yet ) and he said with that and a tune, i would be picking up a good gain in horsepower over the stock 392. There is something else i have to upgrade to support the cam but i dont remember what it was right now. He gave me an estimate on what he has gotten out of this setup before but i will let the dyno tell the tail.

>>>>Did you ever find out what makes the 392 any different then the 5.7 block besides longer stroke and heads ? I am just talking about the block it self... Thanks!

·
Registered
221 Posts
Some updates. Obviously the pictures above speak a thousand words. Decided to go with some ported 6.4 apache heads instead of muzzas stock heads....and i may have to have a cylinder wall or two machined..no biggie. Also, going with 2613 dropins instead of 4032.

Not to sound like a jerk but they are 2618 Alloy pistons. Those will be much stronger and ready for you to add some boost down the road.

Bolt it together with ARP studs if you plan to SC down the road. Also, if you plan to SC I would look at cometic gaskets. I've talked to Inertia a couple times in the past and they mentioned using stock gaskets instead cometic in SC applications.

Just my two cents.

KW

·
Premium Member
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Bolt it together with ARP studs if you plan to SC down the road. Also, if you plan to SC I would look at cometic gaskets. I've talked to Inertia a couple times in the past and they mentioned using stock gaskets instead cometic in SC applications.

Just my two cents.

KW
Thanks! I appreciate the ideas.

·
Premium Member
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
>>>>Did you ever find out what makes the 392 any different then the 5.7 block besides longer stroke and heads ? I am just talking about the block it self... Thanks!
No not yet, i have not pulled the 5.7 yet so i have not gotten a real good look at it aside from online. I do know that it does not have this on the bottom of it:

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
No not yet, i have not pulled the 5.7 yet so i have not gotten a real good look at it aside from online. I do know that it does not have this on the bottom of it:

Dats an oil cooler?

1 - 20 of 51 Posts