Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Banned
675 Posts
In the 6.4 which car is faster off the line and 1/4 mile auto or manual?
auto's

The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 10 characters.

·
Premium Member
56 Posts
In my experience a Auto typically wins at the drag strip.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I haven't driven one auto Challenger. Wish I had but I like the feeling a stick gives you when driving around town and on the open road. You feel more in control of your car and all the stick cars/trucks I have driven my brake pads lasted a lot longer too. Of course I didn't buy this car to drag race. Instead I like hanging out in the parking lot of the local burger Joint and cruising down main street at night. Not a one in my town only Camaros and Stangs. :pimp:

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
"Dem dar com-PU-ters" seem to be able to mitigate the torque in these monsters more so than a foot and a clutch.

***Autos vs Manuals - "The science of driving over the art of driving..."

·
Premium Member
56 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
All depends on the driver.
I triple that :thumbsup:

I love the auto and the 6 speed, but prefer the auto, just wish my auto had the "bulletproofness" the 6 speed has.

·
Registered
3,733 Posts
I will repeat myself from an earlier post "it is hard to out shift a computer".
This is true but when I had my Foxbody Stang....I could shift that mofo like no other. LOL. I beat the hell outta that T-5 (broke 3 of em) and Tremec trans. I also know quite a few guys that can shift badass. I cant do it anymore because ive been out of the 6 speed thing for a while but give me a few weeks with a stick and I bet I can shift pretty damn quick again. It just takes a while to practice with it and if you really never goto the track and just drive it regular....you will never be able to powershift good. And actually the stock programming in these auto 392's makes it shift sluggish and pulls a bunch of timing during WOT shifts. When mine shifts at WOT it actually falls on its face for a split second then picks back up slowly. I cant wait for the Diablo software to come out and let loose what the 392 can really do with a good tune.

·
Registered
6,351 Posts
I have to wonder Tech, if the 392 could benefit from a little more octane than typical "premium" I mean it's dang near 11:1 CR... Wonder if it would still pull timing on say 110 octane? Or is that just a built in safety cushion for the transmission?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Thanks for the info. Trying to talk the wife out of another S class Mercedes. She's got an 07 that we can trade straight out of for a new 392.

·
Registered
3,733 Posts
I have to wonder Tech, if the 392 could benefit from a little more octane than typical "premium" I mean it's dang near 11:1 CR... Wonder if it would still pull timing on say 110 octane? Or is that just a built in safety cushion for the transmission?
Its all about keeping the trans from going south early. Well, its really about the whole drivetrain.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Get the Challenger 392s of Mercs...a CL63 AMG!
Not a fan of the Mercedes 63's.
I prefer the 55'S and 65's, I've owned a few of them and they are TORQUE monsters. The S65 is a 4 door sedan
that will do 0-60 in 3.8 sec and the 1/4 mile under 12. New they are 175k but 4 year old used ones are in the 50's.

Looking hard at the 392. I like everything about it!

·
Premium Member
617 Posts
This is true but when I had my Foxbody Stang....I could shift that mofo like no other. LOL. I beat the hell outta that T-5 (broke 3 of em) and Tremec trans. I also know quite a few guys that can shift badass. I cant do it anymore because ive been out of the 6 speed thing for a while but give me a few weeks with a stick and I bet I can shift pretty damn quick again. It just takes a while to practice with it and if you really never goto the track and just drive it regular....you will never be able to powershift good. And actually the stock programming in these auto 392's makes it shift sluggish and pulls a bunch of timing during WOT shifts.
I agree that the manual is a lot more fun and many people Can shift at the track pretty darn well. But unless you are willing to spend a significant amount of time practicing, the auto typically faster and more consistent at the track. After saying that, I would not trade our 6 speed for an auto. I would rather put in the time to be better at launching a 6 speed than be one of the fastest cars at the track.

·
Registered
7,683 Posts
I don't know why people assume that if you are in an automatic, that you could not have just as much "fun" with the car selecting your own gears with autostick. Seems like a wash there, rather than a point of distinction, cuz truth be told, you can have a lot of fun in either car. The only real tangible difference is how much fun you can derive from working a clutch pedal. Some do, and others say, big whoop-de-do. Given that it is a hydraulic-assist clutch, in the first place, it's not like you can really claim a direct connection or feel to the "mechanicity" of the powertrain. There is some abstraction there whether you like it or not.

·
Premium Member
76 Posts
I don't know why people assume that if you are in an automatic, that you could not have just as much "fun" with the car selecting your own gears with autostick. Seems like a wash there, rather than a point of distinction, cuz truth be told, you can have a lot of fun in either car. The only real tangible difference is how much fun you can derive from working a clutch pedal. Some do, and others say, big whoop-de-do. Given that it is a hydraulic-assist clutch, in the first place, it's not like you can really claim a direct connection or feel to the "mechanicity" of the powertrain. There is some abstraction there whether you like it or not.
Though I agree that automatic or manual these are fun cars I get an extra kick out of the pistol-grip shifter, the notchy mechanical feel of the gear engagements and the better ratio spread of the manual which keeps the 6.1 spinning where I want it when I want it.

There's also a somewhat better throttle response due the mechanical connection (no torque converter) and I like to heel-and-toe on downshifts to match engine speed.

Does anybody know what the Manual/Auto production split is?

·
Registered
631 Posts
:thumbsup: It is amazing to have some one else tell you that you can't have as much fun, or more in an auto versus a manual. How anyone else can tell you what you find fun or not fun is beyond me.

Auto vs manual is just like color choice, its 100% subjective. If you like to shift, you won't enjoy an automatic. If you don't like to shift, you won't enjoy a manual. Pretty simple really.

And paddle shifters as other cars have and/or the auto stick, is no substitute for a "real" manual gear box. If that is what you want, you'll be disappointed if you get an auto with auto stick - its not the same.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts