Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 128 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well a few weeks ago I started the process of a 392 swap into my 2014 rt 6 speed. I found a clean short block out of a wrecked 2013 srt grand cherokee with only 12k miles and stole it for $2800.

To save money on labor I pulled the motor and transmission my self. However Ost dyno in Pittsburgh is assembling the motor for me. Id of done it myself but I just don't have the time with how busy my job is right now. Ost will also be tuning my car as well!

I accumulated all the parts needed and thankfully most of the 5.7 vvt parts swap right over to the 392. I also went with a comp 274 cam and some pac 1219 springs, as well as phaser limiter. All of my current bolt-ons will swap right over to the 392. All my current mods are in my signature. I highly recommend however buying a new oil pump and water pump just as insurance.

Also I was already running a 392 intake manifold on my 5.7 using a MSD rpm window switch , so for the time being that's how I plan on running it on the 392 as well.

My goodies
ImageUploadedByAG Free1426082677.354829.jpg

Labeled my all my harness connections
ImageUploadedByAG Free1426082634.084034.jpg

Here's the new motor
ImageUploadedByAG Free1426082349.112730.jpg

Out with my little 5.7 lol
ImageUploadedByAG Free1426082395.863045.jpg

My builder mike and his son at Ost dyno buttoned the 392 up.
ImageUploadedByAG Free1426082443.501038.jpg

Now I'm just waiting to pick it up and drop her in. Stay tuned for updates throughout next week!

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Engine bay shot
ImageUploadedByAG Free1426083079.854518.jpg

Reactions: ssmith and ghostrt

·
Registered
332 Posts
Nice! I've never been in the market for a 392 engine but if I was looking for one and purchased for under 3K - I think I'd be rather happy!:guiness:

Reactions: Justin14

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yea I got referred to a guy in jersey that had this 6.4 out of a wrecked grand cherokee. I got lucky. The 6.4 looks like it was barely broken in before it was wrecked lol
ImageUploadedByAG Free1426083548.727528.jpg

Reactions: ghostrt

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Good stuff, keep us posted with how it drives when all is said & done

·
Registered
‘13 Challenger SRT 6M
2,817 Posts
Very nice man. I can't wait to hear your take on all of it when it's finished.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yea I'm pretty excited. To troll some of the local guys I've been telling them I'm doing a cam only build on my 5.7. None of them really know much about mopar so it's going to be fun making some cash on these guys racing lol. I just got done convincing my factory 5.7 engine cover to fit my 392 intake manifold lol

ImageUploadedByAG Free1426127806.985779.jpg

·
Registered
332 Posts
Yea I'm pretty excited. To troll some of the local guys I've been telling them I'm doing a cam only build on my 5.7. None of them really know much about mopar so it's going to be fun making some cash on these guys racing lol. I just got done convincing my factory 5.7 engine cover to fit my 392 intake manifold lol

View attachment 394730
Go find Farmtruck and Azn

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Haha that'd be fun! I'd get drug but it'd be fun none the less

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just made it home from the engine builder with some precious cargo. The fun part of going back in starts tonight

ImageUploadedByAG Free1426291182.491899.jpg

Reactions: teddyp

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
That's too much horse power for that one little tire. Might need more rubber. Hope it goes in smoothly. Is your tuner ready as well?

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yea those were my old stock rear tires. I have no clue why they got so bald so fast haha. Mike at Ost is a very very capable tuner. He has done a lot of vvt cars

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
waiting on my buddies to show up so I have some extra muscle sliding her back in.

ImageUploadedByAG Free1426369243.645064.jpg

·
Registered
332 Posts
waiting on my buddies to show up so I have some extra muscle sliding her back in.

View attachment 397098
Id get some lowering springs for the front! Cudo's for removing the engine on your 2014 35k car all in interest of HP! Bring it back to the dealer and tell them you want to know why your car is so much faster now?

Reactions: c26bt34c

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Id get some lowering springs for the front! Cudo's for removing the engine on your 2014 35k car all in interest of HP! Bring it back to the dealer and tell them you want to know why your car is so much faster now?

Funny you should say that. Actually I just installed mopar stage 1 lowering springs front and rear. The only reason the front looks so high is because it's sitting on jack stands.

A lot of my motivation for doing this project is to show that this platform can and will be as flexible as a gm Ls based platform. Hopefully this gives more people courage to mod their vehicle.

Reactions: Geno22 and ghostrt

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
much respect building your dream car vs buying something off the the lot..a lot cooler!

Good luck w/ your build

Thank you! I've taken some heat from some of my other car group friends but honestly like you said anyone can go buy a new 392 rt scat pack, Id much rather build mine

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Just an update, got the motor in the bay and the mounts are snugged up to the k member. I attempted to put it in through the top with the long tube headers on it still but there was no way it would fit. So I'll have to install them from the bottom. It's getting closer
ImageUploadedByAG Free1426397782.768790.jpg

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Just an update, got the motor in the bay and the mounts are snugged up to the k member. I attempted to put it in through the top with the long tube headers on it still but there was no way it would fit. So I'll have to install them from the bottom. It's getting closer
View attachment 398138
That sucks. I thought the headers would have cleared. Would have been so much easier. At least your on the down hill side though.

1 - 20 of 128 Posts