Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am eyeing a stroker kit (this MMX one or this Arrington one) to convert my stock 6.4L (I've got a 2017 SRT 392) into a 426 and have a few questions. It looks like the kit comes with the crankshaft, rods, and pistons. Would I need to replace my stock camshaft at all for this to work? I'd like the car to idle smoothly as it's a daily driver, so I am currently assuming that in addition to the kit, I would only need a tune after. Is that correct?

Thanks fellas!

·
Registered
573 Posts
It really all depends on your goals , there are many ways to build it. For example , my 426 is built at a 10.3:1 with a boost spec cam, as I knew I would by adding forced air down the line. If I was staying na, I would’ve built a 448 or a 454 with a higher compression and a much different cam.
I daily my na 426 and I will still daily it whichever direction she goes(fi).
To answer your question, technically all you would need is the tune/pcm. Ideally , you’d like to have a custom grind cam and some long tubes at least to let her breath.

My short block 426 from Better Built Performance ran me around 4600$ iirc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It really all depends on your goals , there are many ways to build it. For example , my 426 is built at a 10.3:1 with a boost spec cam, as I knew I would by adding forced air down the line. If I was staying na, I would’ve built a 448 or a 454 with a higher compression and a much different cam.
I daily my na 426 and I will still daily it whichever direction she goes(fi).
To answer your question, technically all you would need is the tune/pcm. Ideally , you’d like to have a custom grind cam and some long tubes at least to let her breath.

My short block 426 from Better Built Performance ran me around 4600$ iirc
Thanks for the info, this is helpful. My goals are to stay NA, just want a 426. I'll be happy with 500ish hp at the wheel. I'd like it to have a smooth idle and not at 2000rpm. Not really for fuel economy or anything, just don't want to have neighbors call the popo on me every time I leave the house. West coast cities got noise ordinances to live with :-/ Do you suppose I can keep my stock SRT exhaust? It's a 2.75" pipe, sounds pretty great as is.

What would I need to grind the cam for?

Is this the one you got? What upgrades did you pick?

Thanks for all the help. As you can probably tell I am pretty new to this.

·
Registered
713 Posts
Would it be street legal? I heard something about it not being street legal that's why they didn't put it in the current models but left it as a kit

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
I found even with porting, re-building the OE heads and hogging out the stock intake with Hellcat T.B., this was still my choke point in maximizing H.P. on an N/A 426 stroker build. 13:1 compression on pump gas and still averaging over 21 mpg on road trips if I don’t get too frisky with it. I also have a harmonics issue with the Hellcat lifters holding me back. Prob. a little under 600HP to the crank now (depending on who’s chassis dyno. you use).

Currently working on another 426 build over the winter. This time going with an aluminum 426 Hellephant block, Thitek heads and Holly Sniper style intake with Johnson lifters. Goal is to get as close as I can to Hellcat H.P. on an N/A power plant.

·
Premium Member
2019 Dodge Challenger Scat Pack Shaker
207 Posts
Subscribed to follow these builds in case I do similar down the road. Only 23 car payments to go. lol

·
Vendor
12,386 Posts
just a side note, Arrington sort of does not exist anymore, at least not in the old context, the website is still up, but much of it does not exist, bought out by a company out of Mi

·
Premium Member
2019 Dodge Challenger Scat Pack Shaker
207 Posts
A2Speed is an option as well. Their kit is a good bit less which may/may-not be a good thing.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Thanks for the info, this is helpful. My goals are to stay NA, just want a 426. I'll be happy with 500ish hp at the wheel. I'd like it to have a smooth idle and not at 2000rpm. Not really for fuel economy or anything, just don't want to have neighbors call the popo on me every time I leave the house. West coast cities got noise ordinances to live with :-/ Do you suppose I can keep my stock SRT exhaust? It's a 2.75" pipe, sounds pretty great as is.

What would I need to grind the cam for?

Is this the one you got? What upgrades did you pick?

Thanks for all the help. As you can probably tell I am pretty new to this.
The grind of the cam is to be determined by you or your builder with your preference powerband in mind as well as your end game. The idle does not necessarily have to be wild for the cam to be wild.
You can definitely keep your stock exhaust , nothing wrong with it at all. Long tubes would function better , but not a deal breaker. I hear you , I leave at 4:15am and I hold two giant car wash sponges at my tail pipes for 30 seconds on using auto start.
I’m running a cam geared towards future boost with a ported/matched 6.1 manifold , ported Apache heads with upgrades springs, upgraded pushrods, non mds lifters , 88mm tb,long tubes and an lmi cai. She puts down ~520/520 at the wheels. She ran a best of [email protected] on pump 93. Undoubtedly a fun and reliable car. I can also avg around 20 on the highway as well.
That link is the block I’m running , no additional upgrades.
This should turn into a very useful thread !! Good luck!!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
just a side note, Arrington sort of does not exist anymore, at least not in the old context, the website is still up, but much of it does not exist, bought out by a company out of Mi
Thanks! I wasn't privy to the old context to arrington so don't have any preconceived impressions other than what I saw on their website. Has anything notable changed since the new ownership?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The grind of the cam is to be determined by you or your builder with your preference powerband in mind as well as your end game. The idle does not necessarily have to be wild for the cam to be wild.
You can definitely keep your stock exhaust , nothing wrong with it at all. Long tubes would function better , but not a deal breaker. I hear you , I leave at 4:15am and I hold two giant car wash sponges at my tail pipes for 30 seconds on using auto start.
I’m running a cam geared towards future boost with a ported/matched 6.1 manifold , ported Apache heads with upgrades springs, upgraded pushrods, non mds lifters , 88mm tb,long tubes and an lmi cai. She puts down ~520/520 at the wheels. She ran a best of [email protected] on pump 93. Undoubtedly a fun and reliable car. I can also avg around 20 on the highway as well.
That link is the block I’m running , no additional upgrades.
This should turn into a very useful thread !! Good luck!!

520hp is exactly what I'm aiming for. Good to know the times you get with it, sounds like a great build - I'll use what you gave me as a starting point for a conversation with a builder. Now, only to find one around WA state...

Happy Holidays!

·
Vendor
12,386 Posts
Thanks! I wasn't privy to the old context to arrington so don't have any preconceived impressions other than what I saw on their website. Has anything notable changed since the new ownership?
a lot

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Yeah, I am taking all but the SRT badges off my car. Those 6.4L and 392 are cool but seems like a but much to me. 426 badges in the other hand, just scream bad ass. Kinda digging these blacked out ones here.
I'd skip the badges .

I don't think you can really get there with badges alone and anyone looking under the hood of your car will see what appears to be just one more 392 (you can tell 'em it's now a 426 but they'll have to take your word for it because you can' see it as was seen in this picture).

A 426 that screams BAD ASS looks like this:

This is the BAD ASS you expect. An engine that bested all other Dodge offerings at the drag strip. A modern motor can share the dimensions and even be worked for MORE POWER but it'll never be this again until Dodge sees fit to put a modern take on the engine size between the fenders of a production car. That's not enough either though. It'll also have to be able to show itself as the new TOP DOG offering. Besting the performance level of all the modern Dodge V8s available to date.

The BAD ASS isn't found in the numbers "426" it was created by lots of RACERS at the drag strip over the years the engine was installed in production Dodge and Plymouth cars. Without this racing pedigree and history......426 is just a number when the engine implied by those numbers isn't found under the hood.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
I'd skip the badges .

I don't think you can really get there with badges alone and anyone looking under the hood of your car will see what appears to be just one more 392 (you can tell 'em it's now a 426 but they'll have to take your word for it because you can' see it as was seen in this picture).

A 426 that screams BAD ASS looks like this:

View attachment 983485

This is the BAD ASS you expect. An engine that bested all other Dodge offerings at the drag strip. A modern motor can share the dimensions and even be worked for MORE POWER but it'll never be this again until Dodge sees fit to put a modern take on the engine size between the fenders of a production car. That's not enough either though. It'll also have to be able to show itself as the new TOP DOG offering. Besting the performance level of all the modern Dodge V8s available to date.

The BAD ASS isn't found in the numbers "426" it was created by lots of RACERS at the drag strip over the years the engine was installed in production Dodge and Plymouth cars. Without this racing pedigree and history......426 is just a number when the engine implied by those numbers isn't found under the hood.
True, but todays built N/A 426 put the old 426 Street Hemi to shame in performance. Can’t beat the classic look though.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts