Dodge Challenger Forum banner

81 - 94 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
688 Posts
I remember, but I always preferred the sleeper look to the Cragar SS type of mags. But back then, not too many teens would have wanted to run around with granny-style hub caps.
you are right they looked cheap. what i did was replace with full chrome wheel. they were high maintenance but sweet when clean

·
Registered
626 Posts
My '11 R/T ran 13.6's and 13.7's @ 103 consistently the last time I took it to the track, a year and a half ago. Given that an R/T weighs a few hundred lbs more than a '70 Challenger, I would guess that the 345 Hemi is not far off of a stock 426.

Another disadvantage the 426 had back in the day was that there was no internet to learn and research on. All they had was issues of Hot Rod and Camaro Craft (car craft, they were heavily biased to Camaros from what I've read).

Points ignition, ancient head flow technology, carburetors, a 3 speed auto or 4 speed manual, poor tires, questionable tuning, etc. It's a miracle they were as fast as they were.

How much HP and TQ does a fresh 426 make today with ported heads, a proper cam, a fuel injection kit, computer controlled timing, etc?

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
14,849 Posts
Don't forget Popular Hot Rodding ;)

A Guy

·
Registered
255 Posts
Another disadvantage the 426 had back in the day was that there was no internet to learn and research on. All they had was issues of Hot Rod and Camaro Craft (car craft, they were heavily biased to Camaros from what I've read).

Points ignition, ancient head flow technology, carburetors, a 3 speed auto or 4 speed manual, poor tires, questionable tuning, etc. It's a miracle they were as fast as they were.

How much HP and TQ does a fresh 426 make today with ported heads, a proper cam, a fuel injection kit, computer controlled timing, etc?

Don't forget speed shops where the guys that worked there actually knew some stuff and didn't just look up what you needed on the computer based on what year your car is. And, local gearheads that knew their stuff.

I wouldn't say it's a "miracle" they were so fast back in the day. The old stuff was made pretty stout. It's just been refined over the years. The old stuff isn't that difficult to tune and make run well. It just takes some work and know how.

A 426 as you asked about would make a lot of power! But, that wasn't the question, was it? What would a 392/A8 combo do in a 3500 lb. car then? :wink3:

·
Registered
2015 Dodge Challenger R/T Scat Pack
1,189 Posts
Don't forget speed shops where the guys that worked there actually knew some stuff and didn't just look up what you needed on the computer based on what year your car is. And, local gearheads that knew their stuff.

I wouldn't say it's a "miracle" they were so fast back in the day. The old stuff was made pretty stout. It's just been refined over the years. The old stuff isn't that difficult to tune and make run well. It just takes some work and know how.

A 426 as you asked about would make a lot of power! But, that wasn't the question, was it? What would a 392/A8 combo do in a 3500 lb. car then? :wink3:
Most likely run 10.80-11.20's depending on the air. Wish our cars only weighed that much, but then they'd probably be small and cramped like the Camaro/Mustang with a useless back seat and joke of a trunk.

People always say old cars are a ton of work and you constantly need to work on them. I can go start up my old 72 Nova and drive anywhere I wanted and feel fully confident it would be just fine. They take some work to get everything replaced and running correctly after sitting for years or being neglected. But once you get everything up to par, it's just basic maintenance at that point. Instead of a tuner, you have to physically pop the hood, get out your timing light and vacuum gauge, adjust the distributor and carb with real actual tools, and then test it out. But if you know what you're doing, it's pretty simple stuff really.

I think the bigger miracle is that more people didn't get into serious accidents or even killed with those horrible brakes they had back then! My car had manual drums on it all around and while it stopped, it wasn't really confidence inspiring haha! I converted the fronts to disc and it stops much better now.

What's really amazing about the cars nowadays is all the technology they have in them, how safe they are, how well they handle and stop, and how incredibly fast they are even for weighing quite a bit. The 392/A8 combo simply tears it up at the track for being a big 4100lb car. Both cars/engines are cool in their own way, they're just from two different time periods.

·
Registered
2015 Dodge Challenger R/T Scat Pack
1,189 Posts
Just Google "1971 Challenger Pace Car Accident".......
Wow that was a bit of a mishap! Someone moved the cone, but wouldn't you still be like hey maybe I should be slowing down a bit more now! He must have locked up the brakes and then lost control of the car looks like.

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
So I was looking through my Hemings Muscle Machines magazine and they had an article about how much power did the 426 Hemi really make? They profiled a high-quality stock spec rebuild. 432 cu. in. and 10.3:1 compression so slight bumps there...

These numbers are from an engine dyno, not chasis dyno, and of course there's no cats on the exhaust.

Our 392s would make at least that much under the same circumstances I bet, but I will say the mighty 426 was MIGHTY!

Attachments

·
Registered
383 Posts
We're comparing the performance of engines that are 40 years of engine development (and drivetrain) technology apart. The 426 was (and is still) amazing in its own right. In its day it outclassed pretty much everything else on the road. It dominated at NASCAR and on the drag strip. It was universally feared and made itself a name like very few engines ever have or will. Its legacy is written in stone and no other faster modern engine with all its complexity can really ever take that away.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Muscle Car Horsepower – How Exaggerated Was It? | Hagerty Articles[/URL]

The 426 was a great engine, however IMO... the modern 6.4L is the greatest N/A Chrysler engine of all time.
AGREED! The best way to compare horsepower is to look at curb weight and trap speeds. By that measure the 392 beats the 426 every time.

Gearing and tires may help lower the ET, but the trap speed is purely a function of weight and horsepower.

·
Registered
359 Posts
The A8 is the deciding factor to me. I would love to see a '70 Hemi Cuda with A8 in it. I think everybody would be surprised.

·
Registered
2018 Scat Pack SHAKER in Plum Crazy
1,182 Posts
AGREED! The best way to compare horsepower is to look at curb weight and trap speeds. By that measure the 392 beats the 426 every time.

Gearing and tires may help lower the ET, but the trap speed is purely a function of weight and horsepower.
THIS^
And when I take my car to the track, all I really want is to see 110+, if I can get a 12.x that will be golden. Without destroying my tires that is!

·
Registered
2019 Scat Pack Challenger
58 Posts
And since we're splitting hairs... let us not forget you could buy a full size dodge in 1962 with a 426 wedge and automatic that dominated superstock and ran 11's....right out of the show room...(with a tuning) and in 1968 You could buy a 426 Hemi dart from a dealer and they ran 10's out of the box and 9's at the track with tuning...so yea....old shit can run too...you just won't have air and a radio... :lol: This is with carburetors and no tuning on the fly as our cars do now...

Meh I love my 392 but a NOS elephant 426 engine would buy two of my cars...Just the engine alone.
Digging up old comments but, since your post a bolt on 1320 Challenger has gone 10.90's. All motor, stock internals 392 hemi. No cam work, no unleaded race fuel, no cylinder head work.

These old super stock monsters were fast- it wasnt a nice car to drive at all. It also won't run those times on pump gas, and the engines didn't have warranties, and needed constant readjustment.

Fact is no matter how you slice it the new Hemi is better in every way. Sorry it just is.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I am going to jump in here and say as much as it pains me to say the new modern 5.7 6.1 6.4 Hemi cars and trucks are quicker than the 60 and 70 muscle cars. The 6.4/392 cars will out run the old 426 street Hemi, but this is a big but if not for the legacy of the 426 Hemi the modern Hemi would not be here. Remember the Gen 2 Hemi is still the the horse power king at over 10,000 horse power and has dominated top fuel racing for over 50 years and the 52 year old Hemi Darts and Cudas are still the top dogs in Super Stock and the only car to have there own designated class SS/AH. Long Live The Legacy Of The 426 Hemi!

81 - 94 of 94 Posts