Dodge Challenger Forum banner

392 vs 6.1l SRT8 Suspension Comparison

4K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  rayzazoo 
#1 · (Edited)
I'm curious as to what exactly are the differences in the 392 suspension vs. the 6.1L SRT8. I ask because when you compare the spec sheets of each, there really doesn't seem like much difference.

To start off,
"Up front, the Mopar engineers have blessed the hefty coupe with monotube shocks, new stiffer-rate springs and aggressive bushings, while the rear now wears a five-link setup with what the company calls "roll-steer geometry." Dodge says that the design allows the suspension to independently control both toe and camber fluctuations during cornering, helping to provide a more stable tail-end.

On top of that heap of changes, drivers can look forward to larger sway bars fore and aft and additional negative camber – a full 1.0 degree up front and 1.75 degrees in the rear. All told, the changes are supposed to make the Challenger less roly-poly and more of apex predator. At least that's the theory." ~First Drive 2011 Challenger.

"including new front control arms and bushings, a new tensioner link and a front cradle with conical hydraulic engine mounts. Dodge also added an extra degree of negative camber to the front wheels, along with an increase in shock damping — up 8.5 percent at the front and 11 percent at the rear (the antiroll bars remain the same — 30mm front, 16mm rear). Another huge aid to the Challenger's new and improved feel is its recalibrated steering with a quicker ratio: 14.4:1 versus last year's 16.1:1." ~Inside line

So here's what I've gathered thusfar from the 2011 spec sheet,

Shocks - 392 and 6.1l both have Bilstein Shocks at all 4 corners, 392 front 8.5 % increase, rear 11 % increase
Sway Bars - 392 and 6.1l both have 30mm fronts and 16mm rears
Camber - 392 is more negative at 1.0 degree up front and 1.75 degrees in the rear than the 6.1l.
Weight - 392 has a 19.4 gal tank vs. 6.1L 19 gal tank (unconfirmed but stated)

Unknown of exact part differences other than stated above
Upper control arm -392 Front different
Springs - 392 front rates increased, how much?
Bushings - 392 Front different
End Links -
Tensioner Link - 392 Front different

My first initial thoughts are that they not only changed the camber but they did this because of the tire wear issues people were having.

In all I really want to peal back the onion and really get a good look at what REALLY is different about the two.

Thoughts?

See less See more
#4 ·
I thought that was talking about the R/T and SE which had "meh" suspension? The new SRT's suspension isn't that much different than the current one from what I'm looking at, so I doubt it makes it "feel 1000 lbs lighter", I don't see how that's even possible lol, so apparently we will feel like we are driving light-weight corvettes now when cornering? :scratchhead:

#5 ·
As far as I can remember they changed the steering ratio from 16:1 to 14:1 which makes the steering more direct.

But all stuff they changed can be added to any 08+ Challenger.
In my case:
KW V2, Hotchkis Swaybars, Pedders bushings, Eibach adjustable upper sway bar

I'd love to have the new steering wheel with the more direct gearing but I can live without it. And I swear that by adding these parts to any 08+ Challenger it will be even better and cornering better than the new 11 Challengers.
And don't forget. The tires are the only part which keeps you on the street. So don't save your money when buying tires. Get some high performance street tires and you'll get the grip everybody is looking for.

#6 ·
From the SRT Engineer session:

392 has:
- 14:1 Steering ratio with direct mount to the K member
- New Motor mounts
- New Shocks also known as the Mopar "Pursuit Package"

Camber of 1.5 degrees front and 1.0 degree rear
- New Front Lower Control Arms
- New Tension Struts
- Toe Reset

#7 ·
After riding in Lisa's 392 home from the dealer yesteday, I can tell you I immediately could feel the difference over an 05-10 SRT...the car feels much more like a 6.1 with aftermarket coilovers....they did a great job on the changes

#9 ·
It does handle and drive great. I have had mine now for a week. I think it feels lighter when you drive it as well even though we know it is not..

#10 ·
I took some photos of the underside of my 392 while I was peeking around. Not sure if any of these are helpful but they may be, so I am posting them.

I can say this, the car is very tight and the steering is very direct for such a heavy car. Not only did they change the steering rack and the diameter of the wheel but the new rack is also directly mounted to the K-Member it's not bushing mounted so it is not as prone to flex. This is from the mouth of Ralph himself.

#12 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.