Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
3,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well had my first run with an 07 Kenne bell GT Stang last night. (All on an enclosed private road with nobody on it. :scratchhead:) He has a KB with 9 pounds, full exhaust, long tubes and ya know, all the other bolt on stuff. He made 480hp and 460tq at the wheels and weighs 3875 with him in it. We went from a 50 roll to 130 and when its all said and done my front bumper was at his rear bumper. he barely pulled on me. Pretty much inched by really slow. We stopped at the meeting place and he was like "WTH do you have done to it??!!!" I said its bone stock with 500 miles on it. The reply was "HELL NO!! I beat SRT8's all the time but I could barely get by you". I said its not a 6.1L its the new 392 6.4L. He was pretty impressed with it. Now I know my car will easily pull in the 113-114 range in the 1/4 on a good night.

·
Premium Member
2012 Challenger SRT in BSP
440 Posts
That's great to hear! Congrats!
I assume that's your 392 in the profile photo - looks darker than Billet. That color really looks different depending on the light. Beautiful!

·
Registered
6,352 Posts
There is no doubt, this 392 is something else :)

·
Registered
402 Posts
Wow. That is indeed pretty impressive. Thanks for reporting. Good to know!!

Had a silly truck (stock) try to hang yesterday.... pfft. :notallthere:

·
Banned
7,159 Posts
These cars do run strong.

At Challengerfest, a bone stock 392 ran a 12.6 on street tires and beat a supercharged camaro as well.

·
Banned
756 Posts
392 vs mustang

Nope, i don't buy it bud ! My how the stories grow into "alice in wonderland" ...LOL
I have a CTS-V(09) and run 470HP/462TQ at the wheels bone stock . The mustang you mentioned weight's around 3850lb with the driver , and he only beat you buy one car length with slightly more HP/TQ at the wheels than what my V does ? No Way ! I know I would easily take on ANY stock 392 in any race anywhere , and that particular stang would have beat you silly man !

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Nope, i don't buy it bud ! My how the stories grow into "alice in wonderland" ...LOL
I have a CTS-V(09) and run 470HP/462TQ at the wheels bone stock . The mustang you mentioned weight's around 3850lb with the driver , and he only beat you buy one car length with slightly more HP/TQ at the wheels than what my V does ? No Way ! I know I would easily take on ANY stock 392 in any race anywhere , and that particular stang would have beat you silly man !
and you know this why ?

·
Registered
3,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Well I will run any new gen stock CTSV from the times I have seen them run. :) Just sayin. But anyway i dont think you really know the power on a highway pull that the 392 has. I saw the dyno sheet of that Mustang today because the guy that tuned the Stang is the same guy that tunes all my cars. I will say that just because the Mustang has more PEAK rwhp than my car, does not mean it has more power across the whole powerband of my stock 392. :browsmiley: Thats what makes the differance. Im actually sick and tired of people that think the all mighty PEAK HP is the determining factor that makes a car fast. ITS NOT!!!! Its the whole combo of the car. Ive beat MANY cars that had way more peak power and tq than my cars over the years. And if you really want to know the truth. A 1/4 mile run on the track is totally different than a highway pull on the street. My SRT8 Charger only pulled a best of 121 on the track but do a roll race on the highway and thats when that big ass tank would just plain KILL.

·
Registered
3,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Also right after I got beat by the mustang, his friend in his 2000 LS1 Camaro wanted a run with me. Well I beat him by several cars and was pulling hard on him top end. Wanna take a guess to what was done to the Camaro. Ill go ahead and tell you. Heads, cam, full exhaust, stall, gears, tune, intake, blah blah blah the list goes on. I guess that was a dream of mine too. SHHEEESSHH.

·
Premium Member
2,639 Posts
You are killin it with that 392 man!!!

I love to hear how you are driving the Hell outta that thing already...big thumbs!!!

·
Registered
3,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The thing is......im not saying that the 392 is the fastest car in the world (no where near the fastest car ive had) but it can hold its own aganst alot of stuff out there now. It pulls damn good from a roll and if you can get it to hook.....its not to shabby from a stop either.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Well had my first run with an 07 Kenne bell GT Stang last night. (All on an enclosed private road with nobody on it. :scratchhead:) He has a KB with 9 pounds, full exhaust, long tubes and ya know, all the other bolt on stuff. He made 480hp and 460tq at the wheels and weighs 3875 with him in it. We went from a 50 roll to 130 and when its all said and done my front bumper was at his rear bumper. he barely pulled on me. Pretty much inched by really slow. We stopped at the meeting place and he was like "WTH do you have done to it??!!!" I said its bone stock with 500 miles on it. The reply was "HELL NO!! I beat SRT8's all the time but I could barely get by you". I said its not a 6.1L its the new 392 6.4L. He was pretty impressed with it. Now I know my car will easily pull in the 113-114 range in the 1/4 on a good night.
First off I'd like to start this response on a positive note so that I'm not pissing off everyone by saying that the 392 is a very impressive engine and has adequate power for the street. Now with that being said and me having been the owner of MANY Mustangs from 2005-2009 era that were supercharged I'd like to say that while I believe this may have been the actual outcome, I will say he must not have downshifted into the right gear or didn't downshift at all to only gain a car length on you from 50-130. or he just doesn't know how to drive period.
Case in point, I have a 2007 Roush Stage 3 with 435 crank hosepower that will run away from my 2011 SRT-8 any day, any place, any gear. The car weighs less, and runs low 12's in the quarter at 119 trap speeds.
If he had 480rwhp (which had to be forged or he would have left rod depsits all over the highway) he would have eaten the 392 alive had he known how to drive. A Mustang with 480rwhp will run high 11's or flat 12's all day on street tires with 0-60 times sucking due to lack of traction, but open those monsters up on a run and forget it. The Dodge is a great car, but come on man. It is not going to run with a blown Mustang running that kind of horsepower. It will barely beat a 412 CRANK horsepower 5.0 stock GT, if at all.
How the hell can you say a car with 10 more rwhp then our cars have at the crank, AND weighs in a few hundred pounds less at that, will only pull away by a car length in an 80mph stretch?
Bull freakin sh!t.

·
Registered
202 Posts
While I am at it, I will refer also to your post about tuning and a broad torque range and peak horsepower.
This combines with the driver who has to know his car and its limitations. If your peak power is at 6000 rpms, then you need to run through the gears at the cars red line limitations. Most tuners bring torque across the entire band from 2500 through 5250 on a Mustang and horsepower builds with rpms and generally peaks at 6250rpm. The sweet spot on my Mustangs have always been between the 4200-6000rpm range.
I insist this guy ran low rpms by not downshifting or shifting properly to only gain a car length on the 392.
I own both and I promise you, the Mustang will KILL my SRT-8 Challenger in the 1/8th, in the 1/4 and especially on a roll. The Dodge has way too much weight to drag down the highway. I even left my wife drive the Mustang on Sunday to make sure before I posted today, that I was speaking truth and not bull. From 65mph to 133 she kicked my a$$ by 3 car lengths and that's with a little M90 blower pushing 6psi of boost with CAI and 3.55 gears. Stock tune by Roush versus my 637 mile, bone stock 2011 SRT-8 392 Challenger. When I had to shift into 5th, I just gave up, she was pulling the entire time and I even took the jump.

·
Registered
416 Posts
While I am at it, I will refer also to your post about tuning and a broad torque range and peak horsepower.
This combines with the driver who has to know his car and its limitations. If your peak power is at 6000 rpms, then you need to run through the gears at the cars red line limitations. Most tuners bring torque across the entire band from 2500 through 5250 on a Mustang and horsepower builds with rpms and generally peaks at 6250rpm. The sweet spot on my Mustangs have always been between the 4200-6000rpm range.
I insist this guy ran low rpms by not downshifting or shifting properly to only gain a car length on the 392.
I own both and I promise you, the Mustang will KILL my SRT-8 Challenger in the 1/8th, in the 1/4 and especially on a roll. The Dodge has way too much weight to drag down the highway. I even left my wife drive the Mustang on Sunday to make sure before I posted today, that I was speaking truth and not bull. From 65mph to 133 she kicked my a$$ by 3 car lengths and that's with a little M90 blower pushing 6psi of boost with CAI and 3.55 gears. Stock tune by Roush versus my 637 mile, bone stock 2011 SRT-8 392 Challenger. When I had to shift into 5th, I just gave up, she was pulling the entire time and I even took the jump.
The coolest part of anything you've said... wish my wife was into muscle cars! LOL

·
Premium Member
2,639 Posts
Since you are are familiar with Mustangs you do know the new Boss 302..... listed at 444HP....... seems to be right there with the GT500 .....which has 550 HP

I don't think he is BSing about his experience....Maybe the Mustang owner is not a great driver....just like you said.

He listed his 1/4 mile times with slips( matters more than dynos ).... The times are not out of the ordinary....even though impressive for the conditions....

He didnt race your Mustang.....but maybe we can line you 2 up and see whats up :)

PS: I would never let my wife beat me...I would run her off the road first...Tough luv :)

·
Registered
3,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
He has stock internals with cams but has a forged short block with ported heads waiting. He was in the correct gear for him when we started (thats what he said) and was shifting at 6900. (thats what he said) He only had me by a car. If its any consideration we were running downhill. My weight advantage. LOL Ive driven the blown Roush Mustangs and i have to say they did not pull as hard as the 392. Also, he was pulling the entire time too but it was not that hard of a pull. I did get the jump on him by a half car but then i guess we can say he beat me by a car and a half. The guy can drive. Trust me. We also ran from a 50 roll NOT A 65 which is a really crappy roll for the 392. 50-60 roll is best for the 392 because anything above that it will be bogging in 3rd gear and not go into 2nd. Your 65 roll was a bad idea for the 392. try it again at a 50 roll and you will see. Even with the 6 speed a 65 roll is kinda crappy roll for the 392. Also from looking at the dyno sheet of the Stang i have a feeling that the big ass cams he put in it are hurting him with the blower. Its only making 400rwtq at 4000 rpms PEAK then it drops off. The PEAK rwhp is 480 @ 6800 rpms. There really isnt much below the curve. Also I still just dont see a basically stock stage 3 Roush beat a 392. Its a little lighter yes but its not making anywhere near the power at the wheels as the 392. Especially in the RWTQ.

·
Registered
3,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Also, a basically stock 07 stage 3 roush running 119 trap speeds??? EEhhhhhh.............Look, im not trying to start crap but a basically stock stage 3 roush will not beat a 392 by 3 cars and be pulling that hard. And it definately will not pull a 119 trap. Once again, not trying to start crap. Hell the new GT500 (which is lighter than an 07 Roush) is basically running in the upper teens mph with WAY much more HP and TQ than a Roush.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I don't want to start anything either I'm simply stating I own both cars and know first hand which is faster. If you guys own one of each then I guess you know better then I do. Don't always listen to magazine covers or MotorTrend driving test results. Go buy yourself a vehicle if you really want to know how they perform because no two drivers can drive it alike.

Listen guys, I LOVE my Challenger much more then my Mustang. The car rides like a dream and looks so much better. I don't want hate mail, I'm only stating my thoughts on the matter that's all. I realize this is a Dodge forum and I will get smack back for what I said. I appreciate your dedication to the vehicle you all love so much (as I do too). I like all performance cars, I'm not a Ford guy, I'm not a Dodge guy. I'm a performance guy that's all and I love driving performance vehicles of all kinds although I may draw the line on rice.
I will shut up now. I was just having a hard time with this that's all. Sorry if anyone was offended and I apoligize.

·
Registered
3,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Not offended here. :) Its just that all the stock 07 stage 3 Roush Mustangs ive seen on the dyno (3 OR 4) were only putting down 360-370rwhp and 340rwtq. The pullied, CAI and tuned stage 3 roush ones Ive seen on the dyno (SAME 3 OR 4. :)) only putting down 390-400rwhp and 380 or so rwtq. Anyway, i still love the way the Roush look. They do look bad ass.

·
Banned
756 Posts
kenny bell

srt8tech , you obviously have NOT looked at the cts-v track numbers . You also don't seem to know that a blown car has a wide rpm range to let loose and never let's go at any speed , especially a CTS-V . I wouldn't bother to compare these two cars in a 1/4 mile race as the cadillac will literally smoke you unless ofcourse a fool is driving the V ! The 392 needs a good blower to compete with such cars and as they say : "it is what it is "...

1 - 20 of 55 Posts