Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Premium Member
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At some point I'm sure we'll race but against a lighter, supercharged car?
I would LOVE to beat this guy but in the bone stock 392? Can it be done or wait for the tune. I'll run anyway....thoughts? I need to represent us 392'ers and Mopar nation!! Just the thought of getting beat pisses me off a little. ALL opinions welcome of course! I would love nothing more then shoot a vid and post here!! Of :fight: him LOSING!

·
Registered
416 Posts
This is gonna get good. Thanks Dino! We haven't had a heated discussion here in almost 3 days... LMAO :fight:

IMO: If the guy with the GT500 knows how to drive and can get the power to the ground, you'll likely lose.

Folks will chime in with drag times, saying 392's have run what GT500's have run... and this is true too...

In the end, as with nearly any race, its the "driver mod" that is most important when two relatively comprable cars go head to head.

Practice your launches and get them spot on, and you'll have a chance.

I once beat a GT500 in my 6.1 Charger... sure, I launched quite nicely... and as far as I know, his tires are STILL spinning, but a win's a win, right?!

All else fails, just crush his car with your battleship! LOL If I were you, set this race up, and show up wearing a retro outfit... I'm talking bell-bottoms, open shiney material paisley shirt, white leather shoes, the whole nine yards... polyester everything.

·
Premium Member
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Win or lose you still have the best looking car!!!
and my girl and I chuckled when I said look at those little brakes in the back and that ugly dash! :)

True though! There's 3 camaros in the lot at work and now the red n white GT. The DWB IE is by far the best looking out of all as far as representing the old school muscle! Yeah , I'll have the red and white GT that looks like an '86 5.0.......NOT!

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Take him out. My buddy has a GT500 n has lots of traction issues.

·
Registered
7,683 Posts
You could always scheme a way to race him after he has taken a heatsoak, while your car is still fresherific. The result could put a real headscratcher on'em! ;). How you would orchestrate that to happen indiscriminately, I have no idea.

·
Premium Member
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Take him out. My buddy has a GT500 n has lots of traction issues.
My initial thought is to race sooner then later as he's not used to the car and w/a manual he may just smoke 'em up from the start...(speculating of course) but he drove a 740il bmw so I'm pretty sure he'll be shaking like a leaf when the 392 rolls up! LOL!! either way, IT"S ON! If I lose so be it but I won't be letting off the gas! Waiting for the draggers to check in and give me all I need! Heminator and the crew! 392 baby!!

Living in Socal ref. DA, tire pressure, how much to fill the tank, run Auto-stick/Auto etc.

To post a vid here would be TOO awesome! I will say, the exhaust and the SC sounded pretty nice he had....

·
Registered
416 Posts
You could always scheme a way to race him after he has taken a heatsoak, while your car is still fresherific. The result could put a real headscratcher on'em! ;). How you would orchestrate that to happen indiscriminately, I have no idea.
Simple.

Chat the dude up. Ask him to take you for a ride so you can see whether or not you could even keep up with him... get him to impress you with how fast his car is... then once back at work, IMMEDIATELY challenge him.

While his car is running 200+ degrees, you'll be at room temp! LMAO

·
Premium Member
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That's what I need INPUT! Thanks Randy! I'll slip his buddy a little clue "hey he better have that thing warmed up" :)

I need all the drag tips! This is my first "real" machine since the old high school/Air Force days we were all just kinda "goofing around"......

·
Registered
416 Posts
My initial thought is to race sooner then later as he's not used to the car and w/a manual he may just smoke 'em up from the start...(speculating of course) but he drove a 740il bmw so I'm pretty sure he'll be shaking like a leaf when the 392 rolls up! LOL!! either way, IT"S ON! If I lose so be it but I won't be letting off the gas! Waiting for the draggers to check in and give me all I need! Heminator and the crew! 392 baby!!

Living in Socal ref. DA, tire pressure, how much to fill the tank, run Auto-stick/Auto etc.

To post a vid here would be TOO awesome! I will say, the exhaust and the SC sounded pretty nice he had....
Tank about 1/3 full.

Get it into Manual/Autostick at the starting line and let the car shift itself. Get her into first, and get both hands on the wheel, do not touch the gears... let the super computer run that thing right up to redline by itself until the race is over. She'll shift faster on her own in this manner.

If from a roll, start in the lowest gear you can then repeat the above.

Traction control one-touch off (practice your launches like this and the above).

One-touch (just thitting the button once, not holding it down) will allow the cars tires to spin a little without interference, while keeping you going straight.

Practice your launches (I've said that enough, huh?) and at the highest RPM you can get off the line without spinning. One foot on brake, other on throttle, modulate as necessary to get the best result.

·
Registered
298 Posts
practice your launches! drop your rear tire air pressure a bit:bigthumb:dont hurt. dont need to tell nobody. And if you got the auto then you got more of a shot on the launch, less of a chance of a bad launch, but if you got the 6 speed, who cares, just breathe, relax, dont spin'um! :bigthumb:easier said then done, I know, but we are all rootin for ya. all on the drivers here! this will be good. I am subscribed to this thread!:guiness:
if he is a bad driver, he will spin the $hit out of those tires and sit there, for a bit, like OMOM says, if he hooks, gonna be tough.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,328 Posts
When my car had a stock engine and a maggie on it I raced a 03 shelby with a bigger SC put on. We split 3-3. When he didn't mess up a shift I would win but when he did everything right he won.
I was at 511 RWHP

·
Premium Member
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Tank about 1/3 full.

Get it into Manual/Autostick at the starting line and let the car shift itself. Get her into first, and get both hands on the wheel, do not touch the gears... let the super computer run that thing right up to redline by itself until the race is over. She'll shift faster on her own in this manner.

If from a roll, start in the lowest gear you can then repeat the above.

Traction control one-touch off (practice your launches like this and the above).

One-touch (just thitting the button once, not holding it down) will allow the cars tires to spin a little without interference, while keeping you going straight.

Practice your launches (I've said that enough, huh?) and at the highest RPM you can get off the line without spinning. One foot on brake, other on throttle, modulate as necessary to get the best result.
Love it and yes! I comprehend all! :)

gonna practice some launches ! I've always shifted manually to 2nd as I was almost redline (0-60) times blah blah blah. So the autostick WILL shift when left in this mode? Correct?

·
Registered
416 Posts
Yeah, if you can, let a little air outta your tires as well, just a few pounds... that'll help too.

I'd talk this guy up big time... talk trash... in front of others who are "in the know" as to what you're doing. And what you're doing is throwing him off his game... get him fired up so he thinks he has to impress others to prove a point, etc. ... he'll be more likely to HAMMER that throttle and spin like no tomorrow.

*If you still have the stock tires (I don't care if they're the F1 or RSA), if you're not a skilled launcher, you may want to consider getting your new tires sooner than later. Some 275 NT05's or even 275 Vredesteins would suffice for better traction (every bit helps).

·
Premium Member
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
practice your launches! drop your rear tire air pressure a bit:bigthumb:dont hurt. dont need to tell nobody. And if you got the auto then you got more of a shot on the launch, less of a chance of a bad launch, but if you got the 6 speed, who cares, just breathe, relax, dont spin'um! :bigthumb:easier said then done, I know, but we are all rootin for ya. all on the drivers here! this will be good. I am subscribed to this thread!:guiness:
if he is a bad driver, he will spin the $hit out of those tires and sit there, for a bit, like OMOM says, if he hooks, gonna be tough.
cool! either way, I'm hooking up the camera for all to see and what happens, happens!

Then I'm modding the hell outta T Orange to the hilt (when we get it)

The info I'm looking at, the GT is roughly (driver of course ) a second faster in the 1/4 then mine so at least I won't like a fool at the finish... lmao

·
Registered
298 Posts
When my car had a stock engine and a maggie on it I raced a 03 shelby with a bigger SC put on. We split 3-3. When he didn't mess up a shift I would win but when he did everything right he won.
I was at 511 RWHP
what was the 03 shelby with a bigger SC running to the wheels? We r talking bigger SC, not stock, so he was probably at 500+rwhp too or more. were talking a stock car here, bone stock he said, I know its newer, but I also got a coworker with a new 10' shelby and his car dynoed at 453rwhp , my 6.1l with the vortech, has varied on 2 different dyno's from 486-503rwhp and I ran his car 5 out 5 times each time, and also ran him from 2 rolls on the freeway. So i think he has a shot, especially if he has the auto. Both these cars are very fast man, but let me tell ya, I have driven my co workers shelby and that light shelby with a 6 speed and that power is a handful to drive, lot of room for error, less room for error for the auto on the 6.4.

·
Premium Member
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
what was the 03 shelby with a bigger SC running to the wheels? We r talking bigger SC, not stock, so he was probably at 500+rwhp too or more. were talking a stock car here, bone stock he said, I know its newer, but I also got a coworker with a new 10' shelby and his car dynoed at 453rwhp , my 6.1l with the vortech, has varied on 2 different dyno's from 486-503rwhp and I ran his car 5 out 5 times each time, and also ran him from 2 rolls on the freeway. So i think he has a shot, especially if he has the auto. Both these cars are very fast man, but let me tell ya, I have driven my co workers shelby and that light shelby with a 6 speed and that power is a handful to drive, lot of room for error, less room for error for the auto on the 6.4.
I have the AUTO

·
Registered
416 Posts
cool! either way, I'm hooking up the camera for all to see and what happens, happens!

Then I'm modding the hell outta T Orange to the hilt (when we get it)

The info I'm looking at, the GT is roughly (driver of course ) a second faster in the 1/4 then mine so at least I won't like a fool at the finish... lmao
Best run for a 392 I've seen is 12.3 with bad air (humid/hot). GT500's, not too far off of that, lower 12's, high 11's maybe. Remember, 1/10 of a sec is roughly equal to a car length...

Play your game and lay it out there. Balls to the wall moment coming up bro. You're gonna be taking on Ford's halo car! WOOHOO!!!

1 - 20 of 72 Posts