Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm shopping around for an exhaust. I got it narrowed down to 4. Zoomers, loudmouth, pypes violators, and solo. My question... Is 3in too big for an RT? I know a bunch of ppl are running with zoomers so I'm sure it's not really an issue but what issues can come up with the 3inch. I don't really plan on modding the engine much. Possibly a CAI and a tuner but that will be much down the road even if I decide to do it. Am I better sticking with the 2.5 inch pipes. I also understand that where the catback connects its still going to be 2.5in then 3in back from there but won't I still have back pressure issues especially with the loudmouths considering they are basically straight pipes. I'm sure this has come up in several threads but somehow could find it. You you know of one feel free to direct me there. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
302 Posts
I am also very interested in this. Any one have feedback?

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
3.0" on an RT will cost you some low end torque. Bigger is not always better.If you are planning serious mods, SC, turbo, cam 3.0 might be prefered. Stock tubing on an RT is actually 2.25", although most catbacks are 2.5"

·
Registered
413 Posts
I used 3 inch piping on my car my car club recently had a Dyno day there was a car there same year same transmission option that had same Mopar cold air intake but a different brand 2 1/2 inch cat back exhaust there was a 2 foot-pound torque difference between his car and my car horsepower ratings were identical. However my car was louder and in my opinion sounded better. If you do not race the car you will not even notice a difference unless you have plans for a bigger motor

·
Registered
253 Posts
Stock tubing on an RT is actually 2.25"...
In the interest of accuracy, I believe auto R/Ts are 2.5 to the x-pipe and 2.25 the rest of the way. 6 speeds are 2.5 end-to-end.

·
Registered
610 Posts
my auto 2013 RT had 2.25 and i put 3" but if you measure the downpipe goes to the X pipe which is all 2.25 but the headers/downpipe is 3" and then goes to 2.5 and back to 2.25.. its a freaking mess from factory down there..i have pics.. ill post them later. the conclusion i put a 3" pipe all the way to the 4" quad tips.. and it feels the same as before.. im running oem hi-flow cats, flowmasters series 40 original , and straight pipe all the way to the end.. no drone.. (but also i have no msd since my trinity took care of that..) I feel no lost of power whatsoever.. im just trying to see if ill go 426-392 or supercharge 5.7 but im definitly wont leave the engine bay untouched!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts